British tourists rescued after getting lost in Koh Chang forest

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, sahibji said:

whenever tourists wish to try out  activities  which involve uncertainties it  is best to hire the services of a guide. in case you wish to do it DIY then the next best but absolutely essential  precaution is to keep the hotel or the guest house informed so that follow up action can be initiated before it is too late.

As they were breaking the law, a guide would have been too....and any guide who is trained properly would not do that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Pretty sharp of the guesthouse owner to send out the alert. Unless they told him of their plans one might assume they might be partying or met some people for drinks".

Yes......Its good to see a caring and common sense Thai reaction to a situation............for once.

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Yes......Its good to see a caring and common sense Thai reaction to a situation............for once.

Really? Have you not seen any photos of lifeguards risking their own lives to save farang?

Where do you live in Thailand? Lower Suk ?

Because I see caring and common sensereactions all the time.

3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Really? Have you not seen any photos of lifeguards risking their own lives to save farang?

Where do you live in Thailand? Lower Suk ?

Because I see caring and common sensereactions all the time.

Wonderful.  It is always nice to hear from a philanthropic man.  One who teaches us lesser beings to sympathize more.  Getting Lost on Koh Chang does not happen often.   If it makes me seem more congenial...I am quite happy they are safe...but would not of worried much if they were out wandering for a night. 

Edited by slipperylobster

Human error, an accident. Not everybody has the super-brains, experience & common-sense of some of the TV posters. The world is not perfect and we all might need help one day or another.  Glad they were found in good shape and glad to see people who care.  MS>

18 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Human error, an accident. Not everybody has the super-brains, experience & common-sense of some of the TV posters. The world is not perfect and we all might need help one day or another.  Glad they were found in good shape and glad to see people who care.  MS>

Another Happy Ending...

Nobody wants it any other way. Shame to those who think I have no feelings. That is what the "feelers" are for.

Here is a link to Leam Mountain and some idea where they were...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0FdJ3E-EYs

Edited by slipperylobster

20 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

We never leave our armchairs and have the profound advantage of monday-morning Quarte-Backing so we are seldom wrong. 

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

We never leave our armchairs and have the profound advantage of monday-morning Quarte-Backing so we are seldom wrong. 

Rest assured...The Legions of ThaiVisa are always ready, with their nimble fingers at the keyboard...for some fast advice....when the situation is more than mere mortals can handle. We are especially good, after the fact. Sympathy, good will and a cavalier attitude towards forum etiquette is our hallmark.

Peace, brothers.

8 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

In this specific incident, a weak phone signal was reported. You know how its often possible to send a sms successfully even when your voice calls get dropped due to weak signal? Its because the size of the data being transferred.

In this same way,  the data packet of Lat/Long coordinates is quite small and has a much greater likelihood of being received when it is requested by the phone carrier than a voice call made by a couple of farang trying to describe their location. "We are by a big tree and there is a hill nearby and a stream. Oh and a bird just flew over our heads".

cheers

That is enough info for me to help them. All streams flow down hill. So follow the stream down and two things will happen, you will either run into a settlement and be safe or you will end up  at the ocean. You would have to be pretty hopeless to get lost on an island like Koh Chang. 

Just now, 1sickpuppy said:

They must have less than half a brain,  i am sorry they are English, how the puck can anybody get lost on such a small piece of land, gotta be retards just point in a straight line & follow it, i am from Aust a hell of a lot bigger & have never got lost, where do these people come from, stupidity always amazes me, they should get a job in govt UK ha ha

Agreed a small island with a mountainous interior. Just keep going down hill. The sea is always going to be at sea level. 

Just now, anotheruser said:

Agreed a small island with a mountainous interior. Just keep going down hill. The sea is always going to be at sea level. 

I think they could not get a signal on there mobile, sad state of affairs but at least it gives us something to laugh at

You have to sort of assume they started on some kind of trail. I guess they must have wandered off it at some point otherwise you would just turn around. Could be a small bowl valley they ended up in where you can not see down the slope. Even so there would be a stream or dry bed that would lead the way.

8 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

I learned some skills in the Boy Scouts and Military that keep me from making an idiot of myself by getting lost.

You do not need a map to tell the four Cardinal Compass Heading, the Sun and Stars can guide you. If you do not know that, stay in the Pub !! 

...but you still joined the boy scouts and the Military and I don't think much of the papers you read either.....

one wonders if the "experts" on navigation have considered at all the problems of navigating in an equatorial jungle in the wet season...e.g limited visibility, cloud cover, little or no stars or sun and a sun that goes more or less directly overhead.......good luck with that......on the equator trying to work out north and south is a whole different ball game.

Edited by cumgranosalum