Phuket light rail plans approved for submission to ministry

webfact

Light rail plans approved for submission to ministry

Phuket Gazette 

lr.jpeg          

The multi-billion-baht light rail project plans are ready to be presented to the Ministry of Transport. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada met with private and public sector officials at Phuket Provincial Hall today, where the multi-billion-baht light rail project plans were finally agreed upon. 

The news comes in the wake of a push by Governor Chamroen earlier this month, when he called on the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) in Bangkok to sort things out or dismiss the project entirely (story here). 

The meeting was presided over by Project Manager and OTP secretary Sirigate Apirat.

“I am glad that the governor and committee have approved of the plan.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Light-rail-plans-approved-submission-ministry/65400?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-16

"Mr Sirigate said the plan has been added to the Ministry of Transport’s 2017 Action Plan.

“I do not think it will be long until construction can finally begin,” he said."

It's not the beginning of construction everyone is worried about. When the hell will it be finished?

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Did anyone else notice another plan in that news article. That looks like Patong to me  .... 

1_201681518342778_VcuXFveYHZqhmcTtJdiUiecqHJNRHQydtsAyoeXw_jpeg.jpeg

Yes, that's definitely Patong.

Interesting route - it seems to come along Prabaramee from Kathu, then head south just before the hill (where "this land for sale" signs have recently been erected) before turning west to somehow go over the hill. Very steep terrain through that area - near where the big new temple is being built back in the hills. Then seems to cross Phisit Koranee and join up with Sai Kor a little south of the Super Cheap.

Light rail generally get dedicated/priority at traffic lights. All traffic has to wait while the train sails through.

The hard part here will be getting all the bikes off the tracks. (I guess they will only get the message once!)

On 8/17/2016 at 1:11 PM, Old Croc said:

Light rail generally get dedicated/priority at traffic lights. All traffic has to wait while the train sails through.

The hard part here will be getting all the bikes off the tracks. (I guess they will only get the message once!)

I can see this ending badly for a few folks until the word gets out that the light rail vehicles have the right of way, and won't/can't stop for those who don't yield to them.  

This would be the same bunch of idiots who think red lights at T-junctions don't apply to them, block the yellow cross-hatched areas in traffic, refuse to stop for pedestrians in zebra crossings, won't yield to traffic already in a roundabout, etc.