Permission from estranged father? U.K. Visitor visa.

Good morning to you all. 

I am going to be attempting to get a visitor visa to the uk for my friend and her young child. Whilst I think I am happy covering the requirements for the visa the only problem we may have is the estranged thai father of the child. 

Firstly the mother needs to get a passport for the child. What documents are needed and does the father have to give any input? He is named on the birth certificate. 

Secondly, to take the child out of Thailand for the holiday does the mother need permission or any kind of special documentation?

The father does nothing to support the child, doesn't make any efforts for birthdays etc. I am concerned that he may want money or something once he is aware a foreigner is involved. 

Anyone have any experience of this situation? All help really appreciated.

Thanks! 

My wife handled the details. The father has to sign the passport application but I don't think he needed to go to the office. 

Permission to travel arose during the passport application and also required the signature of both parents. I didn't include it when we applied last month as boy is 18 and the visa application form classes minors as under 18. However, VFS asked for it when processing the application and fortunately we had the original with us. 

• Like 1

Evening everyone,

Please, anyone with know how about this subject please share your experience. I have found something in thai but have to rely on google translate and it's not pretty! So I'm at a loss to really understand the process here. 

Any suggestions or push in the correct direction would be ace. Thanks 

The rules for the child to get a Thai passport are quite clear in the MFA website advice, the father must be present at the passport application OR provide a notarised letter of consent, this applies even if the couple are divorced or have never been married and in my experience they are very strict on this. To be sure, I'd also include a notarised copy of the Father's ID card as well, to avoid any possible hiccups.

Thai Passport Guidance

I am not entirely sure if the Thai immigration will require a similar notarised consent for the child to be allowed to leave Thailand, quite possibly, I've no experience in this area though, have travelled several times with both of my children, but their Mother was always present.

Edited by Mattd
spelling
  • Like 1

My wife did both the passport and travel to the UK with me and her step daughter.  She had no real contact with the father.   She managed to get a letter from the local amphur confirming that she had sole responsibility for looking after the child.  This was then accepted by the Passport Office also at Trendy Building for the visa application. No problem with Thai Immigration. She took her mother along with her to the amphur to confirm her story.  It took a bit of effort but has been worth its weight in gold.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2016 at 8:04 PM, smellyskater said:

I'm still looking for advice if anyone can share an experience. Or do people avoid traveling with sons and daughters?! 

Thanks 

This is our recent experience, not with a daughter, but with our niece who lives with us. The father makes no provision for the child. To obtain the passport he had to attend the passport office with the child and her mother. This was a couple of years ago and he did co-operate.

Earlier this year we wanted to take the niece with us to the uk. We stated and provided evidence that the niece lives with us and we were her sole providers and the mother and father lived apart. We went to the amphur with her mother and obtained a letter stating that she gave permission for the girl to travel with us. In the uk visa guidelines it states that the PARENT/GAURDIAN must give permission( note singular) We then submitted the application and before doing so I asked at Trendy if one parents permission was enough, they said yes, only one parent.

The application was refused because the eco wanted both parents permmision, although we had stated in the application the father was not  around.

We then had to try and get him to go to the amphur. Things were not going too well so we said if he would not co-operate he would have to provide for the child whilst we were away. He then went to the amphur and did the same permission letter as the mother . 

Obviously we had to pay again so I would suggest do all you can to get this permission letter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smellyskater said:

Thank you for taking the time to share this williewolf. What was "Trendy"?

I want to have every option covered. Belt and braces! 

Thanks 

"Trendy" is the building in Bangkok where you submit the application

• Like 1