Gonzo the Face

Anyone care to comment on the great flower farce. Maybe as to :

The effects on Traffic and Transportation

The coincidence of increased difficulties on internet connections

The coincidence on spotty water outages

The coincidence on electric power interruptions

Comments on newspapers reporting lack of flowers [bangkok Post Today]

Comments on thefts of various plants and display items

Comments on the nearby farmers being asked to not plant the second planting this year..

Artesian wells going dry

Some opinions of those haveing gone and was it worth it or not

Is all this happening because of the careful , in depth planning , done by those solely interested in putting a wad of money in their own pocket ...... at the expense of the rest of us

or

is it coincidence and none of this is really happening to those I know and myself....

or

have I been bad in a previous life and now its payback time''''''''''

I would like to know is anyone else is getting frustrated as I am ..... and I think that the next time I hear of flowers ,,,,, it will be around my box !!!

gonzo

I haven't noticed any of the above, but I think you put too much of yourself into these things.. Maybe a snooze on such a beautiful day as today would help you to be more 'okay'... And please don't take offense to my note of support. :o

Credit to Bangkok Post .... Today's edition

===================

HORTICULTURAL EXPO

Visitors notice Ratchaphruek flowers are not at show

KULTIDA SAMABUDDHI & CHEEWIN SATTHA

Chiang Mai _ The much-publicised Royal Flora Expo has been open for almost a month so far and visitors have started to notice that there are no Ratchaphruek flowers at the Ratchaphruek expo. Although visitors could spot the yellowish flowers, better known as dok khoon, everywhere on the tickets, brochures, souvenirs, banners and website, they could not find any real flowers.

This is because there is only one Ratchaphruek tree (Cassia Fistula L.) at the expo and it will not flower until next summer _ two months after the expo closes on Jan 31.

The Ratchaphruek flower was selected by the National Identity Committee in 2001 as the national flower and the expo organisers, spearheaded by the Agriculture Department, did not hesitate to use the flower as the name and the symbol of the Royal Flora Expo.

''I saw the national flowers of many countries here, but I could not find the Thai national flower,'' said Danaiya Charoenpong, a visitor who came from the United States.

Weeraya Taweepol, 57, from Uthai Thani, said she expected to see the off-season blooming of the Ratchaphruek flowers at the expo. ''There should be a lot of Ratchaphruek flowers here because this is the Ratchaphruek Expo,'' she said.

In a bid to decorate the 470-rai Ratchaphruek Expo with the bright yellow Ratchaphruek flowers, the department even came up with a method to force the tree to flower in December instead of February or April as usual.

They fed around 100 Ratchaphruek trees with chemicals and fertilisers to intervene in the plant's breeding circle. Uthai Noppakoonwong, the expo manager, claimed the method was successful and most of the trees had already flowered as planned.

''But we prefer to keep them in storage instead of planting them around the expo site because the flowers will soon fall off, leaving only ugly, naked trees,'' he said. However, visitors could still see the famous Ratchaphruek tree at the expo site, he said.

''We have one tree on the Ratchaphruek slope at the entrance gate, but we are sorry that it's not blooming,'' he added.

===================

Perhaps a Nobel Prize for Logic & Creativity would be in order here

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I have been to the Expo. It was not as good as it might have been, but far better than I imagined it would be. I think generally, people are enjoying the experience and I'm certain area businesses are, because every restaurants parking lot I see is full. Roads are packed but not impassable. Definitely need to take care whilst driving. Lots of crosstraffic and drivers unfamiliar with the area.

Edited by lannarebirth

I dearly suggest you listen to Ajarn.

The article you quote is about this particular kind of flower that flowers somewhere in March/April. Interesting perhaps in a 'har har hardy har' kind of way, but you make it sound like there's no flowers at the show.

Take a chill pill. :o

I have been to the Expo. It was not as good as it might have been, but far better than I imagined it would be. I think generally, people are enjoying the experience and I'm certain area businesses are, because every restaurants parking lot I see is full. Roads are packed but not impassable. Definitely need to take care whilst driving. Lots of crosstraffic and drivers unfamiliar with the area.

I found it to be a nice experience too, but as has been said, not a heck of a lot of flowers. They certainly did do a wonderful job of landscaping in the area, but every nursery in Mae Rim has more blossoms. A lot of thought went into the layout and planning. More was needed in execution and timing. A garden needs time to mature into its beauty. You can't just plant it and expect it to look its best in a few weeks.

Going once was enjoyable. For more, I'll wait for the February Flower Parade across the Ping River. Now there are a lot of flowers!!!

If you go, take some form of transportation other than your personal car. It will save a lot of headaches. A taxi works very well, and for a couple of hundred baht, relieves a lot of the stress of dealing with parking, making a much nicer day in the gardens.

The Fly Fisherman

We've gone twice, and enjoyed it. Maybe we're easy to please. After they opened the car parks, it was easy to find space at 4 pm at the last car park on the left.

During the first several days, I noticed more power outages, but not lately. Of course, traffic on the klong road is heavier, but not impassable. We'll probably go every few weeks.

I have been to the Expo. It was not as good as it might have been, but far better than I imagined it would be.

Well put. In fact, it's one of the best-prepared tourist attractions I have ever seen in Thailand. It's amazing that in this day and age plants and flowers can attract so much effort and interest, and that is good enough for me.

Spurred on by this thread I have just got back from my first visit and on the whole I was rather impressed. I guess it helps that I enjoy gardens in general but I thought it was very well organised and some of the gardens were lovely.

In some ways I chose a terrible day to go as the Princess of Bhutan was visiting and some exhibits were temporarily closed when I got to them so they were missed. Mai pen rai it almost certainly ensures I will go back at least once.

One negative was the total absence of a British exhibit (and the US). Given the UK's horticultural heritage not turning out and supporting Thailand's Expo was very poor form. Even a Groundforce Special would be preferable to nothing and Britain's hoticultural elite, Kew, Chelsea et al should feel thoroughly ashamed to have missed this opportunity.

On the positive side the Expo was packed with Thais who were obviously taking great pride and pleasure out of the show and quite rightly too.

So go and see for yourself is what I say :o

Agree that it is a shame the UK couldn't find the cash or enthusiasm, to put in an entry, after all we're definitely a nation of gardeners ! :D

I gather that there has been some coverage by the BBC. Not sure if it was TV or Radio ?

Also that some of the judges were Brits, including one expert who often judges at Chelsea, and made the long journey out here. And the volunteers who worked long & hard to help the Royal-Project display. Way to go, guys. :o

Agree that it is a shame the UK couldn't find the cash or enthusiasm, to put in an entry, after all we're definitely a nation of gardeners ! :D

I gather that there has been some coverage by the BBC. Not sure if it was TV or Radio ?

Also that some of the judges were Brits, including one expert who often judges at Chelsea, and made the long journey out here. And the volunteers who worked long & hard to help the Royal-Project display. Way to go, guys. :o

I am planning to visit next mth, how much is the entry fee ?

Department of Agricultural : Royal Flora Ratchaphruek makes no profit

Director-General of the Department of Agriculture conceded that the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 has not gained profit from the much exposed exhibition.

Director-General of the Agriculture Department Adisak Srisappakij (อดิศักดิ์ ศรีสรรพกิจ) said the Ratchaphruek Fair has earned a small amount of direct incomes including fees and service charges, just enough to cover the cost of event organization. Although the fair has lost profit in form of cash, it assures a long-term profit for the country.

In the meantime, Mr Adisak revealed that the fair has not encountered any difficulties as yet, but only minor ones such as problems about toilets and service cars provided for the visitors. These problems have been coped with successfully so far.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 November 2006

It's good to finally hear foreigners saying something positive about the expo. We're waiting for my parents to get here before we go, but my neighbours have all been and their advice for the most part has been to definitely go, but go around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. They said that a lot of the flowers will bloom in the evening when it's not so hot. And there are fewer people. And it's open until 10pm.

Any input on this? Is there enough to fill up an entire day there, or could we go in the afternoon and stay until evening and still see everything?

CM Sausage, the flower festival and parade is usually the first weekend in February.

Cheers,

TT

Shame my parents and family will not be arriving until the end of Feb.

We spent almost five hours there but we did do a lot of walking .... and eating!

It's good to finally hear foreigners saying something positive about the expo. We're waiting for my parents to get here before we go, but my neighbours have all been and their advice for the most part has been to definitely go, but go around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. They said that a lot of the flowers will bloom in the evening when it's not so hot. And there are fewer people. And it's open until 10pm.

Any input on this? Is there enough to fill up an entire day there, or could we go in the afternoon and stay until evening and still see everything?

CM Sausage, the flower festival and parade is usually the first weekend in February.

Cheers,

TT

i live right next door to the flower show, i went yesterday and thought it was very nice, they have done an amazing job landscaping it, very impressive. I havent noticed any power cuts, water shortages, i have had a few interuptions with my broad band, but that may not have anything to do with the show. The one thing getting on my nerver is this music being played constantly, some sort of african jibe , the same tune over and over again!! good job it finishes at 9pm :o