Stop An Online Payment

chiangrai

I bought something on a website in America last Friday

Since then the website has done nothing except write one email saying the order is pending.

They haven't shipped it or taken the money from my account or emailed me to tell me what's happening.

There shipping page says they ship the next day including Saturdays,

I have sent them 2 emails asking them what's happening but no reply.

I want to move on and order from another website.

What I don;t want to happen is for them to take the money out of my bank account

(whether or not they post me the item)as soon as I pay for another one somewhere else.

I gave them my debit card number.This is the second time I have ordered from them.The first order went perfectly.

Is there something I can do before I order somewhere else to stop them from taking the payment.

If they haven't taken the money, report the card lost or stolen and get a replacement.

But are you sure they just don't have it in stock and are waiting for a shipment?

Edited by Chicog

O.k,maybe I'm being too impatient but this is the fifth business day since I ordered.

If they had told me that I had to wait I would have waited but they didn't even answer my emails.

I had to transfer funds out of that account anyway so there i now not enough money to pay their price when and if they ever send the charge.

But what in general is the story in these circumstances,

Can they in a months time charge me for the sale when there

is enough money in the account.

Was there no other way I could have blocked the payment if

I was not happy after 5 days and no shipping on a website that

said it ships within 24 hours.

3 hours ago, chiangrai said:

O.k,maybe I'm being too impatient but this is the fifth business day since I ordered.

If they had told me that I had to wait I would have waited but they didn't even answer my emails.

I had to transfer funds out of that account anyway so there i now not enough money to pay their price when and if they ever send the charge.

But what in general is the story in these circumstances,

Can they in a months time charge me for the sale when there

is enough money in the account.

Was there no other way I could have blocked the payment if

I was not happy after 5 days and no shipping on a website that

said it ships within 24 hours.

That's the trouble with buying from one country from another country using funds from a third country.

And why I always use Paypal.

Have they not got a phone number? Would it be worth giving them a quick call?

I ordered from another company and now there is not enough money in my

bank account to pay even if they try to bill me.

But can they wait until there is enough money and bill me then.

There is no address or phone number on the website.

They only took credit cards and obviously debit cards

On 16/08/2016 at 10:44 PM, chiangrai said:

I dont know whats happening chigog

why dont they answer my emails

is that the only way to block the payment

my bank is in ireland,its not worth it

Very easy.

Phone your bank in Ireland, and tell them you have ordered something online, given them your debit card details but the company is acting suspiciously and you either want any payments to that company suspended or if not, ask your bank to cancel the card and send you a new one.

I was in the UK on holiday during June / July, using my UK credit card.

The bank recognised - don't ask me how - that one payment request for online purchase near to the end of my holiday was "not quite right".

Earlier online shop payment request ok.

Later hotel / shop payment requests in the UK ok.

I made some purchases on my way back via Jordan - no problem with those.

The bank decided my card had been compromised in the UK, deactivated my card and sent a letter ( no phone call to avoid fake call risk ), the letter dated 8th July arrived in Thailand on 29th July ( nothing new there in post from UK ).

The letter asked me to phone my bank as I did.    A new card was sent, which took 5 days in the post ( why only 5 days ? ) and I had to phone to confirm and activate the card.

NB - if you use online banking a new card being issued will affect your account, ask your bank for all details.

Yes, there is a delay in you having money to spend from a new debit card, in you contacting your bank / the account being closed / new card being issued - its up to you what security you want on your card.   I would phone the bank today on their 24 hour international line.

Unfortunately I kept being put on hold but, after complaining in a message to my bank they called and offered to compensate me for the phone delays.

@Speedo1968:

The bank decided my card had been compromised in the UK, deactivated my card and sent a letter ( no phone call to avoid fake call risk ), the letter dated...

Your bank sounds charming. Which UK bank is it?, First Direct? ;)

suppose this is one way doing it...prevent anyone from using the card (even the card holder).:thumbsup:

There is no need to cancel the card as you have no reason to believe that it has been compromised. If the vendor charges you without supplying the goods, just call your bank and tell them. They will check and will issue a chargeback via the card company. This happens all the time. If your bank decides to cancel the card anyway and issue a new one, that's up to them. Besides which, cancelling a card does not automatically cancel charges that may have been incurred on it before it was cancelled.

As for PayPal: they are the worst. Everything they do is designed to protect themselves and keep charges as high as possible. They offer no real protection at all to buyers or sellers, they are impossible to communicate with and I avoid them like the plague they are.

13 hours ago, meltingpot2015 said:

@Speedo1968:

Your bank sounds charming. Which UK bank is it?, First Direct? ;)

suppose this is one way doing it...prevent anyone from using the card (even the card holder).:thumbsup:

Yes, they are pretty good on security.    Further, if you don't use your credit card for a while, especially if you have used it in another country previously, when you try to make a purchase ( as happened when I bought a new laptop ) the sale will be blocked and you must ring them to confirm your details.     Once confirmed the card is restated within a few minutes.

In 1996 I started travelling frequently on business between UK and New Zealand and everywhere in between ( including the back of beyond ), up to 50 flights a year, hotels, ferries etc.     I can only remember only once my card being blocked.

My bank is Not A Bank it is a Building Society - "Nationwide"

They even have seats to sit on whilst you are waiting in some branches but, still don't have a ticket number system.    This is one of the good things in Thailand, the Post Office, Banks etc have seats.

Yes, they are pretty good on security. 

That's my point. Perhaps they're TOO good.

From what you said, they seem pretty inconsistent. Sometimes you have to phone them, sometimes they just deactivate the card and send a letter, asking you to phone them (which may result in a new card being sent to you). Good that you warned us.

BTW: in post #9 you kept referring to a Bank, so I had no way of assuming it was a building society. I think they are the same nowadays. Apart from the fact that banks have shareholders and building societies have members. However, I think the building societies seem to be using this as a marketing strategy more than anything these days. I've read reviews that Nationwide is clearly "NOT ON OUR SIDE".

In 1996 I started travelling frequently on business between UK and New Zealand and everywhere in between ( including the back of beyond ), up to 50 flights a year, hotels, ferries etc.     I can only remember only once my card being blocked.

Once when you bought a laptop the card was blocked. I suppose the other occasion your card wasn't blocked, it was deactivated and a letter was sent, with you having to phone them, then receiving a new card, which had to be activated. The blocked card incident seems pretty insignificant when compared with the deactivated card incident. 

From what you've said, not using the card for a while and travelling could lead to a blocked card. But, using the card a lot and travelling could lead to a worse deactivated card, letter sent, phone b/s, new card sent scenario. It's a bit like picking between a rock and a hard place, but also (depending on the sequence of events) a bit like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I've never had the pleasure of going to a nationwide branch to conduct business, but from what I've read elsewhere, I thank my lucky stars...It must be a horrendous experience. yes, providing seating so elderly/disabled persons don't have to stand is important, but some empathy from the staff (putting oneself in the others shoes) wouldn't go a miss either.

Edited by meltingpot2015
added extra detail for clarity

Some info about chargeback for Irish members:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/chargeback

Chargeback only available if you use Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard on an online order. not available with Laser or Maestro for online orders. (Does anyone use Maestro (used to be 'Switch' before right?) anymore?, I had one sometime ago, then my bank switched to Visa Debit)

Also, you have to contact the card provider immediately (in the UK there is a set time limit)

About goods not delivered and requesting a refund: 

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/online-returns#3

Note the bit about goods ordered from outside the EU.

2 hours ago, meltingpot2015 said:

That's my point. Perhaps they're TOO good.

From what you said, they seem pretty inconsistent. Sometimes you have to phone them, sometimes they just deactivate the card and send a letter, asking you to phone them (which may result in a new card being sent to you). Good that you warned us.

BTW: in post #9 you kept referring to a Bank, so I had no way of assuming it was a building society. I think they are the same nowadays. Apart from the fact that banks have shareholders and building societies have members. However, I think the building societies seem to be using this as a marketing strategy more than anything these days. I've read reviews that Nationwide is clearly "NOT ON OUR SIDE".

Once when you bought a laptop the card was blocked. I suppose the other occasion your card wasn't blocked, it was deactivated and a letter was sent, with you having to phone them, then receiving a new card, which had to be activated. The blocked card incident seems pretty insignificant when compared with the deactivated card incident. 

From what you've said, not using the card for a while and travelling could lead to a blocked card. But, using the card a lot and travelling could lead to a worse deactivated card, letter sent, phone b/s, new card sent scenario. It's a bit like picking between a rock and a hard place, but also (depending on the sequence of events) a bit like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I've never had the pleasure of going to a nationwide branch to conduct business, but from what I've read elsewhere, I thank my lucky stars...It must be a horrendous experience. yes, providing seating so elderly/disabled persons don't have to stand is important, but some empathy from the staff (putting oneself in the others shoes) wouldn't go a miss either.

Yes, it is confusing, isn't it ?

Buying the computer, the shop said my card was not being accepted.    Yes, I had to ring the emergency International number, pass the telephone security checks.   Took about 15 minutes in all, then off I went with my new laptop.    Had it been a stranger trying to use my card and the bank not queried then off THEY would have walked with a new laptop.

The holiday in UK and the online attempt to use my card details, the card was restricted - the letter states that "To prevent any further withdrawals restriction has been placed on your card.  You may not be able to use this card until the restriction has been removed ....."  Obviously Nationwide seem to know what is an acceptable purchase "for me" or, their Fraud Team already knew the site that tried to take the money was a risk.     

The letter that took 3 weeks to arrive giving me the initial warning, as soon as i telephoned them my card was cancelled, I had 24 hours to look at my account online then that was closed.   A new card was sent and the accompanying letter stated "As you reside outside of the United Kingdom we have deactivated your card for security reasons".    Once I received the card and phoned them, passed the security checks etc, the card was activated.      

All phone costs were reimbursed in full following my complaint about being put on hold for so long.  I had not asked for a refund.

My only gripe is that the initial letter took 3 weeks to arrive and the contact numbers were wrong for someone calling from overseas.

In view of the current banking issues in Thailand I am glad my "Building Society" at least tries .......