British Jews seek German citizenship on Brexit fears

webfact

British Jews seek German citizenship on Brexit fears

Peter Foster, europe editor 

LONDON: -- Hundreds of British Jews and their descendants who were stripped of German citizenship by the Nazis have inquired about obtaining German passports in the wake of Britain’s vote for Brexit, figures from the German embassy in London have shown.

Applications for German citizenship from dispossessed British émigré Jews and their families – which normally run at just 20 per year – have spiked sharply after the June 23 vote which cast a pall of uncertainty over Britain’s future relations with Europe.

Thomas Harding, the Jewish writer whose latest work ‘The House by the Lake’ tells the story of his ancestral summer home outside Berlin that was vacated after his family fled the Nazis in the 1930s, was among the first to stake his claim.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/16/british-jews-seek-german-citizenship-after-on-brexit-fears/

-- The Telegraph 2016-08-17

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They bascially want dual citizenship for financial and other opportunities. Guess the past is fading now. The heading might make people think they are fleeing the UK but that' not true one bit. The best way to success in the world these is with dual or multiple citizenship in my view.

1 hour ago, Alive said:

They bascially want dual citizenship for financial and other opportunities. Guess the past is fading now. The heading might make people think they are fleeing the UK but that' not true one bit. The best way to success in the world these is with dual or multiple citizenship in my view.

I think you'll find that "the past is fading" is purely your personal perspective - in Germany that is certainly not the case - it would be helpful if some Brits also actually paid a bit more attention to the past and learned from it.........

I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that Germans are not allowed to hold dual citizenship. If that is indeed the case, then if they take up German citizenship surely they will have to surrender their British citizenship. 

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that Germans are not allowed to hold dual citizenship. If that is indeed the case, then if they take up German citizenship surely they will have to surrender their British citizenship. 

I think as Brits they'd take secondary citizenship in Germany!

9 minutes ago, swanny321 said:

I think as Brits they'd take secondary citizenship in Germany!

I believe some countries are very strict on this and do not allow their citizens to hold dual citizenship. Japan and Denmark come to mind. 

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I believe some countries are very strict on this and do not allow their citizens to hold dual citizenship. Japan and Denmark come to mind. 

Add Indonesia. New Energy Minister fired for having 2nd citizenship (US).

Is it just me who feels shame and embarrassment over all this?

I entirely understand people wanting to continue to be EU citizens

Recent anti foreigner sentiment in UK is just dreadful

Doesn't feel like my homeland. 

If Scotland does not gain independence I shall certainly apply for Danish citizenship even if that means giving up my UK citizenship

4 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

not just Jews - there has been a massive run on "foreign" passport applications as many people have decided that whatever the happens to the UK they will not be leaving the EU.

Irish is the flavour of the month, 

Busy place these days that German Embassy....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-german-citizenship-application-embassy-queue-claims-complete-rubbish-rejected-latest-a7194161.html

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Is it just me who feels shame and embarrassment over all this?

I entirely understand people wanting to continue to be EU citizens

Recent anti foreigner sentiment in UK is just dreadful

Doesn't feel like my homeland. 

If Scotland does not gain independence I shall certainly apply for Danish citizenship even if that means giving up my UK citizenship

So you haven't heard about the anti-immigration moves in Denmark?

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

So you haven't heard about the anti-immigration moves in Denmark?

Of course

I think that, like several Northern European countries, they've taken more than their share of the asylum seekers.

However, Danes are no where near as Xenophobic as the English. I don't think their Jews or Poles feel as threatened as those in England.

Do you know much about Denmark or other Nordic countries? I lived there and found it very friendly and civilised.

I am of the opinion that if the Jewish people wish to go to Germany,so be it.The Germans owe them some sort of favour. And yes! it is all but forgotten,and it would be great for them to be back in the land of their forefathers,There is no ruling Nazi party now and they would obviously be safer.But that isn't so

There are more Muslims in Germany now than ever,thanks to MS Merkal,and knowing the general feeling between Jews and Muslims,and the previous threats about Germans not being able to sleep easy in their beds.I fear that the Jewish people will have a new greater enemy.

It's not all or most Jews, just Jews with a connection to a German past. There is also a program in Spain for Jews with a Spanish past going back to the ancient expulsion. There aren't a lot of Jews that can qualify for that as there are rather strict requirements. I think Portugal too has a similar program. 

Germany is an attractive nation for many these days.

There are many Russian Jewish emigres there and Berlin is popular with young Israelis attracted to the coolness and opportunities.

I've heard many Americans with no connection to Germany are going there for the free college. Pretty darn generous! :clap2:

My family background before the USA would point to Ukraine. They don't have such a program but nobody cares.

Yes, of course, diaspora Jews, as always have the option of becoming Israeli, either for positive (culture, religion, weather, opportunities such as in high tech) or negative reasons (fleeing oppression).

I will add something about that that perhaps most people don't know. A very significant percentage of Jews that attempt immigration to Israel FAIL at it within a few years. It's not easy. Hebrew needs to be learned, the cost of living is quite high, there is military service for younger people.

Personally, I think the topic in the O.P. is rather exaggerated. Hundreds of British Jews are looking into Germany. Big deal. That's hardly a wave and there isn't likely to be one either. What's the harm in checking out your options? 

It's like stories you hear about Americans abandoning their citizenship in record numbers because the government has become so heavy handed, especially for expats. Sure there is an increase, but the numbers still represent only a TINY percentage even of current expats! 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

not necessarily so - there are provisions for dual citizenship....if they need it....

I qualify for 3 outside the EU and 2 inside the EU - just a matter of choosing which....maybe all?

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not all or most Jews, just Jews with a connection to a German past. There is also a program in Spain for Jews with a Spanish past going back to the ancient expulsion. There aren't a lot of Jews that can qualify for that as there are rather strict requirements. I think Portugal too has a similar program. 

Germany is an attractive nation for many these days.

There are many Russian Jewish emigres there and Berlin is popular with young Israelis attracted to the coolness and opportunities.

I've heard many Americans with no connection to Germany are going there for the free college. Pretty darn generous! :clap2:

My family background before the USA would point to Ukraine. They don't have such a program but nobody cares.

Yes, of course, diaspora Jews, as always have the option of becoming Israeli, either for positive (culture, religion, weather, opportunities such as in high tech) or negative reasons (fleeing oppression).

I will add something about that that perhaps most people don't know. A very significant percentage of Jews that attempt immigration to Israel FAIL at it within a few years. It's not easy. Hebrew needs to be learned, the cost of living is quite high, there is military service for younger people.

Personally, I think the topic in the O.P. is rather exaggerated. Hundreds of British Jews are looking into Germany. Big deal. That's hardly a wave and there isn't likely to be one either. What's the harm in checking out your options? 

It's like stories you hear about Americans abandoning their citizenship in record numbers because the government has become so heavy handed, especially for expats. Sure there is an increase, but the numbers still represent only a TINY percentage even of current expats! 

I qualify for US citizenship but have always had very strong reservations about taking it up

Yes, unless it's a citizenship from another EU country, in which case dual or multiple citizenships are permitted by German law.

Thomas Harding has dual citizenship British/ US American. If he obtains German citizenship he needs to renounce his American one. Providing he obtains German citizenship prior to the UK leaving the EU, he can retain his British citizenship.

Edited by Morakot

you got that the wrong way around.after i got us citizenship i subsequently lost my german passport,other nationalities getting the german one can keep theirs.

not only that ,it is quite easy for israelis too to stay in germany ,work and file for citizenship.there is an exodus of intellectual young israelis . some 30. ooo  now  live in berlin. quite well actually.

14 minutes ago, uptoyoumyfriend said:

you got that the wrong way around.after i got us citizenship i subsequently lost my german passport,other nationalities getting the german one can keep theirs.

not only that ,it is quite easy for israelis too to stay in germany ,work and file for citizenship.there is an exodus of intellectual young israelis . some 30. ooo  now  live in berlin. quite well actually.

Nope. Dual citizenship in Germany does not differentiate who held what first. It differentiates between foreign citizenships of EU countries and foreign citizenships of non-EU countries. You lost your German citizenship because you took up US citizenship. Had you taken up British citizenship you would have had dual citizenship. Unless it was prior to the 1980s then no dual citizenship would have been possible so ever.

German Jews are different; they might have dual citizenship (of non-EU countries) as the law seems to recognise that they were already Germans in the first place and through not their own doings ended up having to take another citizenship.

Edited by Morakot

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's very interesting. The criteria for naturalization in Germany are quite high: language and cultural awareness requirements, and more. But this seems to be not applicable for the descendants of German Jews, who had lost their citizenship rights during the third Reich.

JT, here another unrelated story you might enjoy reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/23/germany-israel-citizenship

Edited by Morakot