More police checkpoints in Pattaya to "increase confidence among both tourists and locals"

webfact

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

It seems that "check point" "check points" is the only answer the police can ever come up with.  How about investment in scooters with all the bells and whistles riding around and doing proper police work, pulling over young punks on dope, pulling over underage riders, puling over people going through red lights, pulling over people speeding... is that such a ask???  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2016 at 5:19 PM, balo said:

As long as they catch the bad guys I'm happy about it. Anyway I drive a car and have been stopped one time in 5 years, I guess we are considered VIP. 

This is just an observation I have made and I don't know if I am correct but when I see a police checkpoint I am never stopped If the wife is driving she is stopped she is Thai. I just have this feeling when the cops see a farang driving he does not want to embarrass himself by trying to relay messages to the driver. So easier to just wave on or maybe if he chasing tea money he might think the farang will make a complaint against him so it is much easier just to grab the Thai drivers

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/24/2018 at 7:11 AM, pattayadgw said:

It seems that "check point" "check points" is the only answer the police can ever come up with.  How about investment in scooters with all the bells and whistles riding around and doing proper police work, pulling over young punks on dope, pulling over underage riders, puling over people going through red lights, pulling over people speeding... is that such a ask???  

Yeah let have a military state.

On 8/17/2016 at 6:19 PM, balo said:

As long as they catch the bad guys I'm happy about it. Anyway I drive a car and have been stopped one time in 5 years, I guess we are considered VIP. 

Real bad guys have impunity. Red bull heirs, multiple watch owners and their ilk. The road blocks are designed to bully and intimidate local people and have no significant impact on serious crime.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:11 AM, pattayadgw said:

Yes, it is such an ask. Next minute you will suggest that they think they are real cops and have a sense of duty.

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

My experience with pattaya police was exemplary.

They fixed the issue quickly and efficiently.

They were courteous as well.

Then again I am very polite and respectful to ALL thai people in my dealings. I find it helps

Yesterday, as the end of the month nears and cash quotas need to be met, there were two mass gatherings of Bandits-in-Brown on Sukhumvit in the space of FOUR kilometres. 

I, too, am polite and respectful even when a Sattahip cop accused me of causing an accident whilst my car was stationary.  He robbed my wife of 12K by threatening my visa and passport - ming you, he did it 'quickly and efficiently'.

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

I, too, am polite and respectful even when a Sattahip cop accused me of causing an accident whilst my car was stationary.  He robbed my wife of 12K by threatening my visa and passport - ming you, he did it 'quickly and efficiently'.

Only because you allowed it to happen.

Maybe next time stand up for yourself....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The cops need some extra "pocket money" as the summer holidays are near ???? ...checkpoints are excellent sources of revenue in Thai touristic towns. ?...in the meantime, don't forget your helmet, keep your passport with you with a valid licence....just don't give them an excuse to extort money.

Edited by observer90210

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The cops need some extra "pocket money" as the summer holidays are near ???? ...checkpoints are excellent sources of revenue in Thai touristic towns. ?...in the meantime, don't forget your helmet, keep your passport with you with a valid licence....just don't give them an excuse to extort money.

Yes, you spelled it out..

Flakes and people who do not have their act together, will mostly get stuck with a ticket or more.

They should not be out there anyway ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

A copy licence and passport is the way to go. Handing over the original document gives the cop huge leverage for extortion. 

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Only because you allowed it to happen.

Maybe next time stand up for yourself....

You're such a hard man!  A bent cop's word is LAW.  I had Useless First Class Motor Insurance from Thannachart; I hired a couple of Useless Thai Lawyers.  All advised me to settle as the cost of further legal wrangling would be prohibitive and the Courts would back the cop anyway.  What would you have done; punch him?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 6:40 AM, mikebell said:

You're such a hard man!  A bent cop's word is LAW.  I had Useless First Class Motor Insurance from Thannachart; I hired a couple of Useless Thai Lawyers.  All advised me to settle as the cost of further legal wrangling would be prohibitive and the Courts would back the cop anyway.  What would you have done; punch him?

Maybe you can tell us what really happened? This is just a BS story . You need a lawyer to survive police check points? 

On 8/17/2016 at 7:59 AM, topt said:

Anybody know which market and temple these are - IE where?

I could figure out that "nam si pak market" stands for.

It's the best possible way to distract a foreigner to find the "Pattaya floating market" :biggrin:

Its the transcription of the Thai designation for this market.

(a consequence of the translation of the sanook.com article)

Wat Chitphawan (Jitpawan) is in the very north of Sukhumvit, roughly one kilometer south of the highway 36 junction.

https://goo.gl/maps/4fzNvrBNtc82

Noticed too late that I fell into a fairly old thread.

But always good to learn something :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe you can tell us what really happened? This is just a BS story . You need a lawyer to survive police check points? 

Waiting to turn right at a U-turn; stationary;two tearaways ploughed into me at 90 kph. I have photos. After 15 months of mental turmoil; great expense; police corruption, I resent violently your BS summation.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:48 AM, Expatthailover said:

My experience with pattaya police was exemplary.

They fixed the issue quickly and efficiently.

They were courteous as well.

Then again I am very polite and respectful to ALL thai people in my dealings. I find it helps

You seem to live in a different world than most folk, everything here for you is all sweetness and light.

One day it will all come crashing down and then you will wake up.

Edited by colinneil

the one time I went on the back of a friends bike I was very careful to wear a helmet and strap it on. sure enough near walking st they see we are farang and pull us over. first thing he says is that im not wearing a helmet. I wasnt sure how to reply. i sort of tapped my knuckles on it and said i think its a helmet. he insisted I didnt have a helmet for a few minutes and then he realized I had a beer in a bag. oh no, cannot do in thailand. after 5 minutes they let us go.