DSI reports seizure of illegally assembled vehicles totaling over 500 million baht in value

webfact

DSI reports seizure of illegally assembled vehicles totaling over 500 million baht in value

dsi.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 August 2016 (NNT) – The Department of Special Investigations (DSI) has reportedly seized 49 high end cars illegally assembled in Thailand. 

Director-General of the DSI Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang has reported progress in his force’s work against vehicles assembled in the Kingdom without proper licensing. He stated investigation into the crime has been divided among 2 groups.

The first was an inspection of SKT Motor Plc.’s operations in Prachinburi province, where tax fraud was detected and led to the seizure of 37 vehicles ranging in brand from Mercedes Benz to BMW, all together totaling in value at 200 million baht. 

The second group took in 12 high end vehicles suspected of being illegally assembled. The cars, which included 2 Ferraris, 1 Rolls Royce and 1 Porsche totaled in value at over 70 million baht.

All of them have been found to have fraudulent documentation. Tax evaded by the 12 vehicles was estimated at 280 million baht. 

The actions were a continuation of an investigation launched after a fire in 2013 led to the discovery of tax evading vehicles. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-17

39 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I don't suppose there were any arrests?

280 million tax evaded on 12 vehicles??? Sounds a lot.

Sounds more like the total value of those cars.. they said 37 vehicles 200 million baht.. and then 12 high end over 70 million baht.. could be the 280 we are looking for. As we have seen in other topics.. (the voting numbers). It looks like nobody ever checks what they print or check the numbers and such. 

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Sounds more like the total value of those cars.. they said 37 vehicles 200 million baht.. and then 12 high end over 70 million baht.. could be the 280 we are looking for. As we have seen in other topics.. (the voting numbers). It looks like nobody ever checks what they print or check the numbers and such. 

Actually these values sound about correct to me, just look at the astronomical import duty on luxury cars.

The 37 cars at 200 Mil are probably middle range cars, whilst the other 12 are high end and extremely expensive here.

This has been going on for a long time, it is not your average Thai doing this so I am impressed that they are following this up!

7 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Actually these values sound about correct to me, just look at the astronomical import duty on luxury cars.

The 37 cars at 200 Mil are probably middle range cars, whilst the other 12 are high end and extremely expensive here.

This has been going on for a long time, it is not your average Thai doing this so I am impressed that they are following this up!

You could be right and yes this has been in the news for a while. I would not know I am not up to date about the high end cars and their prices. 

20 hours ago, robblok said:

"Mr Rakop explained that the amount of tax a luxury car importer has to pay is a combination of import tax, excise tax and 320 percent value added tax on the declared price."

(Taken from this article http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/customs-officials-act-tough-luxury-car-importers/ )

Based on the above, the 12 vehicles worth 70 million would generate close to 280 million baht in taxes on their own.