Gas station attendant called ‘ugly creature’ scores role in ‘Fast and Furious 8’

snoop1130

Gas station attendant called ‘ugly creature’ scores role in ‘Fast and Furious 8’

By Coconuts Bangkok

bye.jpg

A screenshot from Namtao's appearance in 'Fast and Furious 8'

Namtao Sriboonmee, a gas station worker in Yasothon province, got a happy ending to the episode of public fame that began two weeks ago when her pictures were posted online with cruel comments about her looks. She scored a role in the Thai film ‘Fast and Furious 8’ (a slapstick comedy that is unrelated to the American franchise ‘The Fast and the Furious’) from the ordeal, which she filmed in Bangkok on Tuesday.

Namtao first made news when she was unknowingly photographed at work by civil servant Pongsak Kensing, who posted the photos online with the cruelest of comments. He published pictures of the gas station worker saying that she was an “ugly human being” and “how dare it be born?”

He was quickly scolded by netizens, who reported his behavior to his bosses. He was made to publically apologize to Namtao, who said that she forgave him.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/17/gas-station-attendant-called-ugly-creature-scores-role-fast-and-furious-8

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-17

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I hope she isn't being used to be mocked. 

The old 'overweight and overbearing' lady who thinks she's drop dead gorgeous. Been done a million times but some people still find it funny. 

Old, overweight, overbearing and think they hansum man is the reason i suggested farangs as an alternative  :lol:

People can be so cruel! I'm ashamed to say I have passed judgement on others due to looks and appearance and it is just plain wrong! Note to self....don't be an Insensitive tool they were born this way and it is not by choice. If that person was your child you would think they were beautiful, you need to see them in the same light.

If she doesn't have a problem with it, she should cash in on her 15 minutes. Though I doubt it will be good for her psychologically, as her claim to fame will be related to people's negative opinion of her appearance. But this culture is cruel in what it openly says about people and I am sure she is better prepared for this than a westerner would be. 

I wish her the best.

...well they have the ones...... 'born with conditions' .....on T.V.....

...actually so many 'conditions' here in Thailand...weight is one of the lesser ones it seems....

...they may be mocking her 'lack of education'.....in this land of 'Officers' and 'Doctors'......

....hope they pay her more than 200-300 baht though....

...she needs an agent......

...and she doesn't look old...isn't she in her 20's....???

Edited by SOTIRIOS
left out a word

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The old 'overweight and overbearing' lady who thinks she's drop dead gorgeous. Been done a million times but some people still find it funny. 

Don't hold your breath. Thai comedy is about 700 years behind when it comes to sensitivity regarding, skin colour, gender, sexual orietation, race, sexual violence, body type, classism, mental handicap........and so on ad infinitum.

I think it rubs off on long termers too because one doesn't have to look too far on TV to find similarly sexist, racist, bigoted remarks.

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Maybe over-thinking it a little.

Thai TV appears to be full of fat people in silly roles and the actors don't appear to have aproblem with the slapstick any more than Roseanne Barr or that McCarthy women have in US cinemas. 

This girl may get her 5 minutes of fame in a F&F movie and there is no downside to that at all. She will be envied or admired by her peers. She will have a real fun time and maybe see some big time actors. It sounds like great fun for her regardless the role she plays. 

1 hour ago, Dukeleto said:

People can be so cruel! I'm ashamed to say I have passed judgement on others due to looks and appearance and it is just plain wrong! Note to self....don't be an Insensitive tool they were born this way and it is not by choice. If that person was your child you would think they were beautiful, you need to see them in the same light.

Same applies to me. And yes, I am also ashamed of myself for doing so.

1 hour ago, Dukeleto said:

Anybody who says they havent is a liar dont worry about it

My biggest hurdle of the day is the first look in the mirror 

20 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Maybe over-thinking it a little.

Thai TV appears to be full of fat people in silly roles and the actors don't appear to have aproblem with the slapstick any more than Roseanne Barr or that McCarthy women have in US cinemas. 

This girl may get her 5 minutes of fame in a F&F movie and there is no downside to that at all. She will be envied or admired by her peers. She will have a real fun time and maybe see some big time actors. It sounds like great fun for her regardless the role she plays. 

Well, it goes to the point of are they laughing with you or at you.

If they're laughing at her, that's not cool. 

I'd think she is well liked, there is always a call for those that make others look or appear better than they really are ; such as the government employee that sought to make himself better looking or more important by pointing out her flaws. Happens all over the western world all the time.

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

have you seen thailands version of the show ugly betty? they take a good looking white skinned thai girl and make her 'ugly' by putting makeup on her to make her skin brown. have to feel a bit sorry for the young girls growing up in thailand with their nice brown skin who have a complex about it making them ugly.

7 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

have you seen thailands version of the show ugly betty? they take a good looking white skinned thai girl and make her 'ugly' by putting makeup on her to make her skin brown. have to feel a bit sorry for the young girls growing up in thailand with their nice brown skin who have a complex about it making them ugly.

That snail white "bleached" skin looks so unhealthy for their complexions.

On 8/18/2016 at 7:32 AM, Dukeleto said:

There is nothing wrong with being critical of someones appearance if it is self inflicted, as far as being obese is concerned, it is mostly self inflicted, though there can be medical reasons for it. If I see someone who is overweight, shirtless, with a lot of tattoos, I am very critical towards them.

The lady in question is overweight, but not flaunting it, it could be it is a medical condition, so people should not be critical, as for the overweight shirtless or wifebeater  and tattooed brigade, they deserve all the criticism they get.