Can I get my non B and then quit?

So I am not very happy in my school and I am planning to leave within a month. However, they are about to start process to change my tourist visa into a Non B. 

If I get the non B and then quit can I still use it to stay in Thailand for a year and then find another school? Can the school make me pay a fine if I do that?

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A non-b visa only allows a 90 day entry.

Only an extension of stay would allow you to stay a year. An extension of stay ends on the date you job ends.

So since my school is paying for the Non B at least I will get 90 days extra for free right? And how do you get the extension of stay? Isn't it possible to go to Inmigration every 90 days and check in by myself?

• When they make the change from a tourist visa entry to a non 'B' visa/entry you will be granted 90 days to stay. 
  • At the end of that 90 days you will have to leave unless you have been granted an extension of stay.
  • 1 year extensions of stay are linked to the job/work permit. If you quit after an extension of stay has been granted the extension becomes void, and you would need to leave the country and organise an new visa.
  • If you quit during the initial 90 day stay granted from the non 'B' entry you can stay for the reminder of the 90 days.
  • What the school can charge/fine you would depend on your contract.
  • Checking in to immigration every 90 days is only required if you have permission to stay longer than 90 days (which you won't have) and have stayed continuously in the country for more than 90 days (which you can't do).
  • Like 1

you should be ok to just do your 90 day extensions. i did this after i finished working last year and used the non B for 5 months before going back to nz to get my family visa.

this is the benefit from the visa and work permits being separate. school can cancel your work permit but they are not the ones who cancel your visa.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

36 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

you should be ok to just do your 90 day extensions. i did this after i finished working last year and used the non B for 5 months before going back to nz to get my family visa.

this is the benefit from the visa and work permits being separate. school can cancel your work permit but they are not the ones who cancel your visa.

There are no 90 day extensions. Or do you mean leaving and re-entering every 90 days for a new entry which would needed for a multiple entry non-b visa.

Your advise is bad if you are implying he should stay after he quits his job and has a one year extension of stay. One little problem and he could be caught for doing it and be charged for a long overstay which could result in a ban from re-entering the country.

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i had to do a 90 day report after my work permit was cancelled and it was not a problem late last year.

Being able to do a 90 day report means nothing. It does extend your stay.

It is still is terrible advise to tell somebody they can stay. Are you willing to take the responsibility for it if he was caught doing it.

Your Non B will be terminated 14 days after you leave your employment regardless, your new employer with there company papers must re-apply for a new Non B visa, you will be on overstay 14 days after leaving your present employ, be careful!

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Being able to do a 90 day report means nothing. It does extend your stay.

It is still is terrible advise to tell somebody they can stay. Are you willing to take the responsibility for it if he was caught doing it.

yes, i am going to pay all his fines and re reimburse him for any pain and suffering. i just told him what i did. it is up to him to take what ever advice he wants.

9 minutes ago, coxo said:

Your Non B will be terminated 14 days after you leave your employment regardless, your new employer with there company papers must re-apply for a new Non B visa, you will be on overstay 14 days after leaving your present employ, be careful!

There is no 14 days.

If caught the day after the job ends and/or the work permit is cancelled a person can be charged with overstay.

Just now, coxo said:

You have 14 days after termination, retirement or simply leaving your employ to cancel your Non

-B visa period, after that you are on overstay, end of story! 

Could you post or supply a link to the rule that states that.

Spoken from personal experience when I left my old job and they didn't cancel the visa as they were meant to which put me on overstay and a hefty fine. Now you can state why you dispute this please and I hope it's not from bar talk!

Edited by coxo

"Spoken from personal experience when I left my old job and they didn't cancel the visa as they were meant to which put me on overstay and a hefty fine. Now you can state why you dispute this please and I hope it's not from bar talk! "

Don't be that smug, ubonjoe is much more qualified than you regarding visa requirements

37 minutes ago, coxo said:

Spoken from personal experience when I left my old job and they didn't cancel the visa as they were meant to which put me on overstay and a hefty fine. 

You wrote your post as if it was a rule. Now you are saying it was your experience.

The only person that can cancel you extension is yourself in most cases. There is no automatic cancellation.

I wrote what the rules are. If the reason for your extension of stay ends your extension ends on the date that happens.

You should of signed the this acknowledgement of the conditions for an extension (or one similar) when your applied for your extension. acknow_con2stay (1).pdf

1 hour ago, coxo said:

Spoken from personal experience when I left my old job and they didn't cancel the visa as they were meant to which put me on overstay and a hefty fine. Now you can state why you dispute this please and I hope it's not from bar talk!

The people at your old job cannot cancel your visa.

Unless of course you were working for immigration.....................;)

From the time your work permit is cancelled you have 14 days to cancel your Non B, if you don't you are then on overstay, the employer must cancel the work permit as it is in there company name as they are the sponsor. That is the law, all you are doing is guessing, maybe you have never had a work permit and non b visa???

It really is simple, the advice the poster is receiving will have him on overstay, the answer to his question is a simple NO.

25 minutes ago, coxo said:

From the time your work permit is cancelled you have 14 days to cancel your Non B, if you don't you are then on overstay, the employer must cancel the work permit as it is in there company name as they are the sponsor. That is the law, all you are doing is guessing, maybe you have never had a work permit and non b visa???

It really is simple, the advice the poster is receiving will have him on overstay, the answer to his question is a simple NO.

I will state again there is no 14 days. I asked you to post that rule or a link to something to prove it.

This from the main page of Bangkok immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

If the alien granting extension of stay permit in The Kingdom for the reason of working at a business company/organization etc., resigns from such company / organization, his/her stay permit will be immediately terminated. As a consequence, The stay permit of his/her dependents will be terminated as well. Work Permit and Stay Permit must be revoked by competent officials. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coxo said:

Go and speak to an immigration officer as I did, end of story for me.

If you've been here any length of time you'll know that the enforcement of immigration law/rules varies from office to office. It doesn't matter what an individual IO told you as it doesn't change the law/rules. Anyone that doesn't cancel their extension of stay as soon as their job/work permit ends can be prosecuted for overstay.

3 hours ago, coxo said:

• You can't cancel a non 'B' visa. You presumably mean cancel an extension of stay. 
  • The employee OR employer can cancel a work permit.