Fee for visa on arrival doubled to 2,000 baht as of Sept 27

Visa price doubled to 2,000 Bht ? I must be missing something as I,ve never been charged a red cent !

------------------------------------

You probably never actually got a visa on arrival entry.

Most Europeans and Americans or Canadians never have. (as G-7 countries nationals they don't usually get or need visas on arrival)

What many people are doing is confusing a 30 day visa exmpt entry, and a 15 day visa on arrival entry

I suspect what you had is a visa exempt 30 day entry.

As i said in another post a visa on arrival entry  for a 15 day stay for 1000 baht and a visa exempt free 30 day entry are different things.

The two visa types are often confused.

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

2,000 baht for 15 days VOA.

1,900 baht for a 1 year extension of stay.

Something has to change there.

Why??? Those Finally, who stay longer, support the economy more with their spending over the year.

2 hours ago, Ronuk said:

... The Chinese etc are big spenders, whatever people will tell you. Another 1000 bt won't bother them in the slightest. They shop in the best shops and eat in the best restaurants and invest heavily in property. You rarely see them in cheap bars. Most have more money than we could ever dream of having.

I believe you are referring to the Chinese who were/are part of the "communist" party - the "immortals" families being at the top of that hierarchy.  The Cronyism during their market-transition led to a tiny fraction of Chinese getting extremely wealthy based on family & govt connections.  Those are undoubtedly big spenders, and will not mind the increase, but are a tiny percentage of the Chinese who visit Thailand.

The vast majority of Chinese visitors come on "all included" package tours.  You can watch them buy their non-included meals and tourist-mementos at 7-11.  As their numbers have increased, while Western numbers have decreased, many Thai businesses have closed.  Big spenders, they are not.

I suspect future visitors within tour-groups will now use tourist-visas, issued by a Thai-consulate in China, which will allow a background-check to be performed.  This is a wise move, given certain minority-demographics within the Chinese population connected to recent unfortunate events.  I suspect it was necessary to raise the VOA for a group of countries, in order to not offend the Chinese - to "save face," as it were.

2 hours ago, Ronuk said:

The only ones seemed remotely worried by this are the those that like to compare the cost of a bus to a Tuk Tuk in the hope of saving 20 bt and dreading that it may effect them at some stage.

Saving a bit of change here and there on transport adds up to a nice night out with the missus at the end of the week, while staying on budget.  No harm in that.  Most who retire here do so because Thailand is relatively inexpensive, yet a safe and modern place to live, as compared to our countries of origin.  That savings = years of our lives, freed to enjoy.

On 18 August 2016 at 7:58 PM, ezflip said:

Is it me or am I getting the impression that they simply don't want tourists anymore...

nonsense are you trying to say people wont come because it costs 30 us $ more well those would sure be great tourists Thye should make it 3000 baht but say it includes free entry to all national parks saving 400 baht a time. 

8 hours ago, kingalfred said:

Today Cambodia announced a new 2 and 3 year tourist visa to boost tourism . Tourists will be able to re enter on it many times without this money making racket called "re entry permit"      http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/new-visas-launch-sept-1

So...what's your point? All countries set their own entry and visa policies...and Thailand has multi-entry entry visas as well (and re-entry permits have nothing to do with visas).

On 18/08/2016 at 7:36 PM, DavisH said:

The Chinese are gonna love this one!

This is like when restaurants don't have enough customers....they increase the prices!

You would not be thinking Thailand lacked Chinese customers had you come through the airport with me on Thursday. So much so they let them use the Premium lanes at immigration, not ideal for those who have actually paid the premium.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Pokeris said:

Hello can anybody confirm visa on arrival now 2000 bath or still same 1000 bath. thank you?

I have seen nothing that states the new 2000 baht fee did not go into effect on the 27th of September. If the plans to do it had been revoked there would of been an announcement that they  had changed their minds about it.