Any advantage to change the registered province

Ken

I have a Honda Phantom that I bought in Nong Khai a few years ago.  I live in Korat province and at the time for various reasons it was more advantageous to leave the greenbook as registered in Nong Khai province.  The bike is registered in my name and has my Nakhorn Ratchasima address.  I have had no problem each year paying the "land" tax here at the land office in Korat.

My question, is there any particular advantage for me to go ahead and get the greenbook and license plate changed from Nong Khai province to Nakhon Ratchasima province?

12 hours ago, macknife said:

If it's easy enough for you to do it, then I would.

It makes it much easier to sell as less documentation is required by the seller.

You also get a shiny new number late. :)

The "shiny new" plate sounds nice, but....

It is not particularly easy to do the change, but not terribly difficult either.  Not sure that there is that much less documentation required to sell, if I should ever decide I want to.  So far I am not coming up with a good enough reason to make the change.  I was only thinking about it because I screwed up and thought my driving license was expiring next month, so I went to immigration and got a "residence" letter.  After rechecking my license expiry date, it turns out it doesn't expire until next year.  The letter itself is in Thai, but my wife says it does not say it is specifically for anything in particular, can be used for anything.  I would need this letter to initiate the greenbook changes.  So yea, have the letter but still would take some work and more money to complete the process.  And the letter is only good for 30 days, so it says.  Oh well.

I don't see any advantage for you to change the  registered province.

it would make things easier for a new buyer only  if they to where living in Nakhorn Ratchasima   any other province and they run into the same problem of either registering in Nakhorn Ratchasima 

or " moving" the bikes province  to their province.

You can get a nice new shiny plate from the Department of Land Transportation if the old one is "lost" 

( need to file police report )   I think it will be the same number as the old one..haven't tried.

On 20/08/2016 at 10:40 AM, 12DrinkMore said:

It is indeed a waste of time and money.

There is no change in documentation requied if you sell the bike.

Well I have bought and sold bikes both in and out of province.

When selling a bike in the same province I didn't need to show any proof of residence, but out of province I did have to. This can add a lot of hassle and expense for the seller.

You are much more likely to sell any bike in the province you live in, so if the OP sells his bike NR then he would have to go and get another proof of residence.

On 20/08/2016 at 10:22 AM, johng said:

I don't see any advantage for you to change the  registered province.

it would make things easier for a new buyer only  if they to where living in Nakhorn Ratchasima   any other province and they run into the same problem of either registering in Nakhorn Ratchasima 

or " moving" the bikes province  to their province.

You can get a nice new shiny plate from the Department of Land Transportation if the old one is "lost" 

( need to file police report )   I think it will be the same number as the old one..haven't tried.

The new plate (in the OPs case) would be a new number.

Many living outside BKK prefer a BKK plated vehicle.

I am not 100% sure why, heard one story that the police in BKK are more likely to leave you alone if running a BKK plate compared to a non BKK one. I am not sure that holds water?

A few Thais I know here in Pattaya runs BKK plated cars, always, but I run all my 4 vehicles on Chonburi plates. Only the big bike is in my name, scooters & truck in wife's name.

17 hours ago, macknife said:

Well I have bought and sold bikes both in and out of province.

When selling a bike in the same province I didn't need to show any proof of residence, but out of province I did have to. This can add a lot of hassle and expense for the seller.

You are much more likely to sell any bike in the province you live in, so if the OP sells his bike NR then he would have to go and get another proof of residence.

I bought a Ninja from a Farang in Korat and the bike was registered in his name in Nakhornratchasima Province.  He had to get a proof of address.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

I bought a Ninja from a Farang in Korat and the bike was registered in his name in Nakhornratchasima Province.  He had to get a proof of address.

I have bought new and sold three bikes over the years.

None of them were purchased in the province where I sold them, and two were sold to buyers coming from yet another proviince.

Never had to supply proof of residence for selling, only for purchasing the bikes. 

In fact I never even went to the Land Transport department.  Just gave the purchasers

- Green book

- Transfer document

- Another dicument allowing the purchaser to transfer the ownership without me being present

- copy of passport

14 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Never had to supply proof of residence for selling, only for purchasing the bikes

There have been reports of some provinces needing a residence certificate to sell  ( Chonburi Pattaya )  Nakhornratchasima/Korat  in the above posts

bought my last car from another expat in KK  Both he and i, buyer and seller had to have a certificate of residency, i didn't at the time have yellow book. so we had a trip to immigration to get Cert then back to transport  office plus it was registered in Korat so we had to wait a week for it to be registered in KK and  number plate change which was a pain in the bum but thats the rules. So looking for upgrade now but this time will make sure its registerd in my province first. Before going to look at it. 

Archived