90 day worth the bother?

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You should note I wrote the printed stamp on the slip. I have a copy of one they did with small letters under the date that says keep in passport. It is not on the tear off portion of the TM47 form.

90 day report stamp2.jpg

"It is not on the tear off portion of the TM47 form." - it is on mine and as soon as I figure out what's going on with my scanner I'll post it.

21 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

"It is not on the tear off portion of the TM47 form." - it is on mine and as soon as I figure out what's going on with my scanner I'll post it.

What looks like a stamp and the bar code is printed on the receipt slip when you do the report.

It is not on the TM47 form before the printing is done. See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm47.pdf

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The only risk of not doing your report before you leave is when you do your first report after returning from your trip if they were check and discovered you did not report before leaving you could be fined 2000 baht for not reporting.

I thought there was a 7 day grace period?

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What looks like a stamp and the bar code is printed on the receipt slip when you do the report.

It is not on the TM47 form before the printing is done. See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm47.pdf

I think there must be at least two different forms in circulation and in common use, mine (the one I posted) is certainly not printed at the time of reporting.

9 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I thought there was a 7 day grace period?

You can do your report up to 7 days after the report date an not be fined. Leaving the country after the report is due is not the same as doing a report.

If you leave on or before the report date no report is due after that a report is required.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Dunno what all the fuss is about. I would say it's about 99 to 1 that immigration wouldn't find out, so are you willing to gamble 2000 thb at those odds?

5,000 baht. per post 33 sample.

I can also vouch for Chiang Mai Immigration checking to see that you aren't overdue on your 90 day report when you exit at the airport there.  Maybe they don't do it every time or when they're busy, but the window where they collect fines and issue re-entry permits is just to the left of the Immigration podiums, so it's easy for them to direct violators to the Immigration officer sitting behind the counter who probably isn't doing anything, except waiting for new customers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Of course 90 day reporting is compturised if you look when you do it in office they scan last report bar code which means is computerised 

That is only at the local office and it is not tied to the nation wide system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I can also vouch for Chiang Mai Immigration checking to see that you aren't overdue on your 90 day report when you exit at the airport there.  Maybe they don't do it every time or when they're busy, but the window where they collect fines and issue re-entry permits is just to the left of the Immigration podiums, so it's easy for them to direct violators to the Immigration officer sitting behind the counter who probably isn't doing anything, except waiting for new customers.

Have you had it happen to you. Or is it info you have heard about.

I can assure no other airport will bother with it. Many people pull their slips out before leaving.

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

Maybe but it's still on computer so can be accessed.

It can only be accessed by the local office. Until a few years ago it was all done manually.

The bar code on slips is relatively new and not all offices are equipped to scan it. I have watched my local office type in my passport number to pull up my reporting records.

Two out of my last 3 report receipts have been hand written instead of being printed.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I can assure no other airport will bother with it. Many people pull their slips out before leaving.

Yes, I've seen them look at the 90 day slips in my passport when leaving Thailand and also when I'm assisting elderly expats who are voluntarily repatriating.  They've charged several not only for overstay but also failure to file 90 day reports.  This has caught some by surprise because they thought their max fine was going to be 20,000 baht and I've paid their fine for failure to file 90 day reports from my own pocket.

One time, I was assisting an elderly man in a wheelchair who looked pretty rough but wasn't on overstay.  His 90 day report was due that very day and they tried to charge him a fine for late reporting because the flight left around midnight, even though he was checking in before midnight.  I think they thought I was bringing them another overstayer and was disappointed they weren't going to make any money from this man.

It may be that they target me because I assist elderly expats who want to return back to their home countries but have trouble getting themselves organized.  They definitely don't show them any kindness even though these people won't be returning to Thailand and don't care that they're getting blacklisted.

Edit:  I'd like to make it clear that CM Imm. at the airport isn't just targeting me.  There are several other people who assist elderly expats returning to their home countries who have had similar experiences with 90 day report forms being scrutinized.  One of my associates, who speaks good Thai, asked the Imm. officer to show some kindness because the man had brought just 20,000 baht to clear the overstay and made the mistake of getting a little personal in asking her if she would treat her own father this way.  Then he kind of lost it and got angry and the fine got upped from 2000 baht to 5000 baht.  In the end, he went downstairs and got money from his own account from an ATM to pay the man's fine and realized he could never assist anyone thru CM Immigration again at the airport. 

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think you can safely give that assurance joe, there's two people here so far who report that Immigration has looked at the receipt prior to leaving Thailand and mine was at Swampy. Plus I've posted a receipt with the words pre-printed on the form and there's a reason for that. Even if the new form is not in wide distribution yet, the fact that stamp says, keep with passport and I think it will be foolish to ignore that.

17 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

I agree with the above. 
I have a flight on Oct 11 but my 90 day reporting is due on Oct 10th. 
So, last time I did one (July), I noticed this right away and asked the immigration officer if I need to come in and do a 90 day report before I go. 
He said no, you have 7 days after before there is a problem. 
So, I am going to not worry about it, and go to the airport on day 91. 
I  hope he's correct.  

" He said no, you have 7 days after before there is a problem. "

You have 7 days to report, but that doesn't mean you don't have to do the report. Obviously if you never do the report, you have gone way past the allowed 7 days.

If you are leaving the country forever, there would be no problem, but if you return and go to your local immigrations office for whatever, it could be noticed that you were in the country for more than 90 days without reporting. It could also be overlooked or ignored, but the risk is still there that it will be noticed and you will be fined.

Edited by Suradit69

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

" He said no, you have 7 days after before there is a problem. "

You have 7 days to report, but that doesn't mean you don't have to do the report. Obviously if you never do the report, you have gone way past the allowed 7 days.

If you are leaving the country forever, there would be no problem, but if you return and go to your local immigrations office for whatever, it could be noticed that you were in the country for more than 90 days without reporting. It could also be overlooked or ignored, but the risk is still there that it will be noticed and you will be fined.

You get a new departure card when you re-enter Thailand. Maybe they only look at this when you do another 90 days.

I find it hard to believe you get fined when you leave within the grace period.

I am not understanding. To do the 90 days report it's seems to be a big hassle. in accordance with comments. In the reality it is very easy  to arrange by internet, by post, or personally. Only to fulfill the TM47 and enclosing some copies of documents. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, muzmurray said:

The grace period is ONLY if you make the report!!! Jeez, how many times do you have to be told the rules?

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

This applies to the OP as he will be on day 91 and have not reported, and unless he comes back into the country and reports before the end of the 97th day, he will be liable for a 2k Baht fine, (note I am not saying that he will be fined, just that he will be liable to be).

I almost hope the OP follows your advice and subsequently gets fined, just to prove to you that the advice you have given here is wrong.

Jeez :rolleyes:. I clearly have a greater understanding/knowledge of the rules than you do, and I never rely on what I read on forums. No doubt you are just repeating what you have read from other posters that you happen to agree with.

Only people that report more than 6 days after the due date can be fined under the rules. In order to qualify for that fine you need to stay continuously in the country for more than 96 days. As the OP is leaving after 91 days, the continuous stay ends on that day, they will never stay more than 96 days, and will never qualify for the fine. 96 days (within 7) being the "set period".

• If someone leaves on day 91 the IO at the airport cannot fine the person (under the rules) as they are still within the "set period". If leaving after day 96 they could.
  • If that person returns in the future, and the IO sees a report wasn't made, they cannot fine them (under the rules) as, although they stayed longer than 90 days, they only stayed 91 days which was within the "set period".
  • Effectively you have 96 days to report OR leave.

I suggest that rather than wishing ill on the OP that you go and talk to immigration so that you are better informed to advise people in the future.

My advice included telling the OP they can report early, and that they "shouldn't have" a problem if they don't report. Prove me wrong!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

Jeez :rolleyes:. I clearly have a greater understanding/knowledge of the rules than you do, and I never rely on what I read on forums. No doubt you are just repeating what you have read from other posters that you happen to agree with.

Only people that report more than 6 days after the due date can be fined under the rules. In order to qualify for that fine you need to stay continuously in the country for more than 96 days. As the OP is leaving after 91 days, the continuous stay ends on that day, they will never stay more than 96 days, and will never qualify for the fine. 96 days (within 7) being the "set period".

• If someone leaves on day 91 the IO at the airport cannot fine the person (under the rules) as they are still within the "set period". If leaving after day 96 they could.
  • If that person returns in the future, and the IO sees a report wasn't made, they cannot fine them (under the rules) as, although they stayed longer than 90 days, they only stayed 91 days which was within the "set period".
  • Effectively you have 96 days to report OR leave.

I suggest that rather than wishing ill on the OP that you go and talk to immigration so that you are better informed to advise people in the future.

My advice included telling the OP they can report early, and that they "shouldn't have" a problem if they don't report. Prove me wrong!

This just isn't logical.  The grace period is a period within which you are allowed  to fulfil the obligation to do a report that you have already incurred by staying 90 days.

To believe this means you don't have to do the report if you leave within the grace period is logically exactly the same as believing if you are given 7 days to pay a bill, and you leave the country after five days, you don't owe the money any more!

You have to do a report if you stay 90 days. That is the rule. To make it easier to do the report they allow you to do it up to a week after you have incurred the obligation. Leaving within this period does not mean the obligation goes away. It is not a 97 day report.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, partington said:

This just isn't logical.  The grace period is a period within which you are allowed  to fulfil the obligation to do a report that you have already incurred by staying 90 days.

To believe this means you don't have to do the report if you leave within the grace period is logically exactly the same as believing if you are given 7 days to pay a bill, and you leave the country after five days, you don't owe the money any more!

You have to do a report if you stay 90 days. That is the rule. To make it easier to do the report they allow you to do it up to a week after you have incurred the obligation. Leaving within this period does not mean the obligation goes away. It is not a 97 day report.

I suggest you ask immigration because I can't make it any simpler to understand. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2016 at 5:09 AM, bogozy said:

I am not understanding. To do the 90 days report it's seems to be a big hassle. in accordance with comments. In the reality it is very easy  to arrange by internet, by post, or personally. Only to fulfill the TM47 and enclosing some copies of documents. 

Internet does not work, my office will not do postal, it's a long way and they want passport x4 copies, it's a hassle if you can get away with not taking a day to do it, and of course it's a total waste of time.

I don't see it as a waste of time it's a good system agreed online does not work for everyone and yes there can be a queue. I wish my old mother country would introduce the same system. It's only a hassle in your minds. A few hours once every three months wow big deal and even then you can get someone to do it for you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

Internet does not work, my office will not do postal, it's a long way and they want passport x4 copies, it's a hassle if you can get away with not taking a day to do it, and of course it's a total waste of time.

What problem do you have doing it online?

What office wants 4 copies. Many only want your passport and others a TM47 form and your passport.

Do it yourself by mail. You do not have to do what the company wants to do.

I was due to report 6 days before I left the country for a holiday, and, for one reason or another, I missed it.  90 days after returning to Thailand, I submitted my normal 90-day report by mail, enclosing the last 90-day slip showing my (missed) reporting date.  My report was processed as normal.

• Like 2