Brutal murder of German in Samui goes unpunished two years after the event

rooster59

Brutal murder of German in Samui goes unpunished two years after the event

victim-Volker-225x300.jpg

KOH SAMUI:-- Two years ago today, 20th of August 2014, German citizen Volker Schwartges, 46, was brutally murdered in Soi Green Mango.

The murder took place after Mr Schwartges, from Dusseldorf, had an altercation with three Thai youths he found sitting on his motorbike in the car park of the notorious Green Mango Club.

Three of the perpetrators were apprehended just hours after the fatal attack. At the police station they confessed to beating Schwartges, hitting him several times with broken bottles before a Thai local named Ittison Tanprasert (17) slit his neck with a knife and perforated a main artery which caused the death of the German.

The knife was secured later and kept as evidence. To this day none of the culprits have been to court, despite their confession at the Bophut police station they were allowed to walk free. It is unclear whether they walked free on bail or due to some alternative payment….  Several newspapers such as Duesseldorfer Express, BILD, FARANG, Wochenblitz and also Thai newspapers such as Bangkok Post, The Nation and Samui Times and Phuket Gazette reported on this murder case. However, very soon after the killings the case went quiet, no further questions were asked. The case went cold and so did the files.

Investigations by FARANG and Duesseldorfer Express seemed to revive the case in November 2014, when a letter to the Thai Embassy and Thai Foreign Office in Berlin was sent.

The questions were: Why did the public prosecutor’s office Koh Samui – three months after the killing of Schwartges – not receive police files with investigation results and conclusions? A letter by the Royal Thai Embassy Berlin stated that the case was being investigated again and police in Chaweng were urged to move forward with their murder investigation. As a deadline 18/11/2014 was set – however, our research into this case showed no movement, at all. Nothing happened till today and no files were ever handed over to the court.

Full story: http://www.samuitimes.com/brutal-murder-of-german-in-samui-goes-unpunished-two-years-after-the-event/

samuitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Samui Times 2016-08-20

If you would open a thread criticizing Thailand for exactly what happens in this case Thais would accuse you for something like "another Thai bashing" thread... 

In Germany the  public prosecutor’s office would not need to wait for the police station to deliver evidence or files. They would take action and bring down such a police station - sooner rather than later. Heads would roll.

In Thailand? A murder case? Farang is the victim? Mai pen rai...

Police are all murderers here. They all play a part, one way or the other.

I'm thinking it would take about 300,000 troops to invade Thailand and replace the police and military.

then a five year period of executing anyone found guilty of corruption. 

Then 20 years of completely new schools replacing all the teachers, teaching English, math, logic, engineering, computer science.

and of course driving schools, new building and electrical codes...

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I'm thinking it would take about 300,000 troops to invade Thailand and replace the police and military.

Then 20 years of completely new schools replacing all the teachers, teaching English, math, logic, engineering, computer science.

Brilliant 

This case gave me sleepless nights feeling compassion for this poor man and his family's sorrow. Crazy as it seems I felt grave sorrow for someone I never knew. How dare this case be shelved or put aside because he's a FARANG. It makes me want to Wrench.

Junta Groupies and all the Thai apologists will be squirming at your hard-hitting post. 

Truth hurts I suppose :coffee1:

If local Thais murder or kill a foreigner is allowed.
No penalty or charge here for the perpetrators.
Even they have indeed confessed to the crime.

Unfortunately, the investigating island officers are often friends or classmates of the families of the perpetrators.
The mockery and distortion of the law in its purest form.
Justitia on puke .

1 hour ago, Bung said:

Why doesn't someone from the German embassy go and ask the police why the murderers are not convicted if any crimes? 

Do they not care? 

Thailand did some (bureaucratical) favors to the German embassy where Thailand would not need to.

Of course in return the German embassy can not dig to deep or even demand progress in a "cold" case... 

This is indeed  a disturbing case. It appears Samui is a law unto itself. There are other cases that are suspect and from what I have read the Immigration Department also operates outside the standard. The German government should file a formal protest directly to the Thai government and demand action.  

5 hours ago, thai3 said:

Unbelievable, a new low for the Thai 'justice' system, can't get wore than this.

a "blow" is something you feel, it hurts, it shames you ... a justice machinery, however, does not have feelings and a real person inside that mechanism (a judge etc.) could not care less

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

The German Embassy should issue a No Travel Warning to Thailand until resolved!

More. Make it illegal for Germans to visit or do business with Thailand, and ban Thai airlines from flying to Germany and German airlines from flying to Thailand. That might get their attention.

The easiest and most powerful way to force the Police to handle their reports over to the courts is the INTERNET!!

Keep publishing and sharing this story on FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
Soon the Thai authorities will take action out of fear of losing their tourist $$$$.
And this at ZERO cost.
No expensive lawyers or courts.

8 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The easiest and most powerful way to force the Police to handle their reports over to the courts is the INTERNET!!

Keep publishing and sharing this story on FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
Soon the Thai authorities will take action out of fear of losing their tourist $$$$.
And this at ZERO cost.
No expensive lawyers or courts.

It does not matter as long as it's not in Thai script.

Thai authorities don't read English websites.

I am always amazed at the flippant comments made by foreigners on a topic like this.

I have read about other similar cases, one being an unarmed Canadian shot dead  in a bar in Pai

by an off duty policeman and similar ending to above German.

Point is, an ending like this  can easily happen to any foreigner yet you stay here and play

Russian roulette with your lives.  

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

That would give you the Thailand you want to live in but it is their country and they like it just the way it is, corruption and all.  

Ex-pats choose to live in Thailand and many accept that they are in a pretty lawless, corrupt and dangerous country.  Why should Thailand alter to suit the western lifestyle and their morality.  One more time "embrace it or leave because you will never change it"

12 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

I am always amazed at the flippant comments made by foreigners on a topic like this.

I have read about other similar cases, one being an unarmed Canadian shot dead  in a bar in Pai

by an off duty policeman and similar ending to above German.

Point is, an ending like this  can easily happen to any foreigner yet you stay here and play

Russian roulette with your lives.  

unarmed people get shot, and shot dead, every day in the us. and?

4 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...and what about the German government and embassy....???

...and the international community....???

foreign embassies tend to stay out of things like this and i dont know why. i can imagine it would be difficult dealing with thai authorities and maybe they just dont bother any more after trying before without getting results.

Archived