Shirtless bike rider, Jomtien.

sandgroper2

Most days see him riding around. I noticed his back once when he was sitting at a cafe. His back appeared to be a breeding ground for solar keratosis and there were signs, which I think , were possible melanomas. Would you advise him of your observations or,  unless he is a complete fool and has never heard of, sun damage,   skin cancers, mind your own business?

I have friends approaching 60 who come here on holiday and every other sentence is about their "bronzie" (=tan for non-Brits). You would think they would know better by that age.

Perhaps you might choose to sit near him in the cafe with your friend and embark on a loud, 20-minute conversation about nothing but skin cancer in a exercise testing the power of subliminal influence.

I have never been able to figure out the European, mostly British obsession with getting a sun tan. Over the last 30 plus years here, I have known several friends and acquaintances, mostly British who have all succumbed to skin cancer.  

Rides a bike in Thailand probably without helmet, I think he is more at risk dying in a fatal road accident.

And I am sure suggesting he should were a shirt is like suggesting to most bike riders they should were a helmet. 

Edited by Basil B

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Rides a bike in Thailand probably without helmet, I think he is more at risk dying in a fatal road accident.

And I am sure suggesting he should were a shirt is like suggesting to most bike riders they should were a helmet. 

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Spot on, no helmet. The other day he was even riding with a flat tyre. Dont think his elevator goes up to the top floor.

35 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

Spot on, no helmet. The other day he was even riding with a flat tyre. Dont think his elevator goes up to the top floor.

Well I suppose a lot depends on if he is Thai, like with the helmet issue if he is Thai and you suggest he covers up you may get a polite response.

I carry a parasol with UV-proof lining when I go out for a walk in the sun. A while back some European guy in Jomtien told me I looked like a woman carrying the parasol. So I asked him if he thought that men were somehow immune to skin cancer so they didn't need to take any care to protect themselves from the tropical sun, or perhaps he thinks that a few nice scars where you've had carcinomas cut out is a sign of manhood and virility? Some people are just plain dim-witted.

Edited by Guderian

Sun tans look good on young fit bodies. I just don't see why fat, bloated older people think it makes them look better.

Once I tried trisoralan.sp? When I was in my twenties. The tan I got lasted two years. 

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I carry a parasol with UV-proof lining when I go out for a walk in the sun. A while back some European guy in Jomtien told me I looked like a woman carrying the parasol. So I asked him if he thought that men were somehow immune to skin cancer so they didn't need to take any care to protect themselves from the tropical sun, or perhaps he thinks that a few nice scars where you've had carcinomas cut out is a sign of manhood and virility? Some people are just plain dim-witted.

Me thinks the reference to your sexuality has something to do with you calling an umbrella a parasol.

22 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

The other day he was even riding with a flat tyre. Dont think his elevator goes up to the top floor.

And just how would he get the bike to the shop to be fixed if he didn't ride it there? You think everyone carries puncture repair tools with them? :(.

Another vote for myob.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

When I first came to Thailand I remember being told it was an 'offence' to ride a m'bike without a shirt. It was something to do with disrespect for the King.

Just can't figure it out why guys do that. I suppose it's what we call 'posers' in the UK.

On 8/20/2016 at 8:48 AM, sandgroper2 said:

Well I suppose a lot depends on if he is Thai, like with the helmet issue if he is Thai and you suggest he covers up you may get a polite response.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The other day he was even riding with a flat tyre. Dont think his elevator goes up to the top floor.

And just how would he get the bike to the shop to be fixed if he didn't ride it there? You think everyone carries puncture repair tools with them? :(.

Another vote for myob.

Anyone with any  intelligence whilst biking around Pattaya  would carry a puncture outfit together with a spare tube

Anyone without a puncture outfit and having a puncture would  "normally" have the intelligence to get off the bike, walk  and not ruin both tube and tyre but then again the question  here is  having the  intelligence in the first place to prepare for the contingency

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

why bother going out for a walk in the sun?