Phuket Vegetarian Festival dates announced

rooster59

Phuket Vegetarian Festival dates announced

Chutharat Plerin

1_2016820121722539_yylyiULLiEsTJIilNkjpPOlPYqFKCGlBFWzorKzZ_jpeg.jpeg

The nine-day event attracts thousands of visitors to witness the festivities. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Phuket Vice Governor Prajiad Aksornthammakul announced the dates of this year’s Vegetarian Festival, as well as a special prayer ceremony to honor HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej, earlier this week.

The nine-day festival is slated to take place from October 1-9. The event attracts thousands of visitors to Phuket to witness the festivities, which include fire-walking, bladed-ladder climbing, hundreds of stalls fully stocked with vegan foods and processions at locations throughout the island. 

“I have urged all relevant people to make sure public safety comes first, and especially to keep an eye on dangerous firecrackers and illegal activities during the festival,” said V/Gov Prajiad.

“We will be especially vigilant on October 2, when a special prayer ceremony will be held at Saphan Hin for the good fortune of His Majesty.”

The Vegetarian Festival, or jia chai as it is known in local Hokkien Chinese, began in 1825, when the governor of Thalang, Praya Jerm, moved the island’s principal town from Tah Rua in Thalang district to Get-Hoe in Kathu district, where there were many tin mines and Chinese miners.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Vegetarian-Festival-dates-announced/65431?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-20

Good to hear the official dates. This is simply the best festival in Phuket and possibly in whole Asia. 

If they had the vegetarian foods available year around, I'd become half vegetarian. 

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

I'm gonna go but if I remember correctly the action is in phuket town not inn the beach areas.

Yes, it's Phuket town event. One of the 'real' festivals. Well, to be honest, the competition between piercing folks has gone a bit over the top in the past few years. It's still really worth of visiting. Plenty to see and plenty to wonder what is going on. 

21698704743_a94d82f7d8.jpg

Here is my video of the firecrackers at the parade. This is still minuscule compared what the last evening event is. It is absolute madness. Something out of this world. 
And please be gentle. I know nothing about taking videos, so the quality and lack of editing shows. :) The 'clicks' on video are the moments when I took photos. 

The food is brilliant as long as you stay away from the fried 'foods' and seek for the really good stuff. 

9 hours ago, oilinki said:

Yes, it's Phuket town event. One of the 'real' festivals. Well, to be honest, the competition between piercing folks has gone a bit over the top in the past few years. It's still really worth of visiting. Plenty to see and plenty to wonder what is going on. 

21698704743_a94d82f7d8.jpg

Here is my video of the firecrackers at the parade. This is still minuscule compared what the last evening event is. It is absolute madness. Something out of this world. 
And please be gentle. I know nothing about taking videos, so the quality and lack of editing shows. :) The 'clicks' on video are the moments when I took photos. 

The food is brilliant as long as you stay away from the fried 'foods' and seek for the really good stuff. 

reminds me of the THAIPUSAM festival observed by South Indian hindus,

Edited by sahibji