Ref Watch 2016/2017

Chicog

Halsey’s tweets were in relation to an incident he later clarified as being between Blackburn Rovers’ Steven N’Zonzi and Stoke’s Ryan Shawcross in 2011. “I saw the incident and was happy it was not a red card,” Halsey told the Sun on Sunday. “My bosses weren’t happy. I was under pressure to say I hadn’t seen it. I was furious but no matter what industry you are in, you do what your bosses say. So he [N’Zonzi] was charged and got three matches. I know it goes on because other referees have told me.”

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Fully in agreement with RedNev that Halseygate deserves a full investigation. If we have referee(s) or a football governing body alleged to have cheated - and Halsey's allegations are of cheating - then the clubs, Premiership, FA, media, etc, should be crying out for an investigation to put this to bed one way or another.

Perhaps they should investigate Howard Webb's officiating of Man United fixtures then?

15 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Halsey’s tweets were in relation to an incident he later clarified as being between Blackburn Rovers’ Steven N’Zonzi and Stoke’s Ryan Shawcross in 2011. “I saw the incident and was happy it was not a red card,” Halsey told the Sun on Sunday. “My bosses weren’t happy. I was under pressure to say I hadn’t seen it. I was furious but no matter what industry you are in, you do what your bosses say. So he [N’Zonzi] was charged and got three matches. I know it goes on because other referees have told me.”

Does it really matter ? so the ref has to tell a little white lie to get to the correct decision, as long as the authorities come to the correct decision in the end that's all that matters !

In fact it's the rule that's wrong, all they have to do is to change it to read the follow : If an act of play was deemed to be violent and the appropriate action was not taken at the time then  retrospective punishment can be given ! 

It's not rocket science :D

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^Perhaps they should investigate Howard Webb's officiating of Man United fixtures then?

Why?

Now imagine my surprise to see that you are the only one oblivious to one of the longest running football jokes in premier league history!! :D

The games I saw at the weekend had many debatable reffing decisions:

Manu vs City:

Much talked about Bravo & Rooney tackle - fair tackle or penalty & red or yellow card?

Otamendi handball (elbow behind back) - penalty or not?

Rooney reffing the game. Manchester Evening News has listed 5 bookable incidents (and why he should have been off before the Bravo tackle incident) before clatterberk had enough and yellow carded him.

Bailly penalty on Otamendi for taking away his standing foot 2m from goal (did he also follow through on Otamendi once he was down). Penalty?

Arsenal game:

Was the Arsenal penalty soft or deserved?

Swansea vs Chelsea game:

Looked like 2 Fer fouls on Cahill in the lead up to Swansea 2nd goal.

Was Costa's foot too high and reckless for Chelsea's 2nd?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, smokie36 said:

Everton won so what's the problem?

Standards, dear boy, standards.

I assume if he were to give a similar decision against you when you're 1-0 down, you'll go "Sunderland won, so what's the problem"?

14 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Standards, dear boy, standards.

I assume if he were to give a similar decision against you when you're 1-0 down, you'll go "Sunderland won, so what's the problem"?

No one cares about standards when they win a penalty.

4 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

I prefer to take all three points then watch em all whinging on here. :partytime2:

The point is that Wenger never sees a dodgey one when its awarded to them, whines incessantly if they get a bad call but it doesn't matter if Arsenal handle the ball into the get and we should all just get over it!! :smile: :shock1:

4 hours ago, carmine said:

The point is that Wenger never sees a dodgey one when its awarded to them, whines incessantly if they get a bad call but it doesn't matter if Arsenal handle the ball into the get and we should all just get over it!! :smile: :shock1:

No, that's some old rubbish you just came up with, and it's littered with errors. Are you drunk?

This thread is to point out referees who either make glaring errors or misapply the laws.

Get a grip, man.

14 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

My pet hates are refs who stop the game for every infraction rather than letting it flow and those who dish out stupid cards willy nilly that end up spoiling a game.

Have I ever told you that I'm in favour of video technology :sorry:  :smile:

2 hours ago, Chicog said:

If they didn't see that from where they were, they sure weren't going to see it on the telly!

:wink:

And exactly what position were you when this " A more obvious penalty you will not see." took place? I am presuming you watched it on the telly? So did you have a different angle on the telly than the video ref would have had :wink:

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

And exactly what position were you when this " A more obvious penalty you will not see." took place? I am presuming you watched it on the telly? So did you have a different angle on the telly than the video ref would have had :wink:

I would suggest you watch it before you start blathering on again.

8 hours ago, Chicog said:

I would suggest you watch it before you start blathering on again.

I watched it on the telly and thought it was a penalty. But when I mentioned video ref (who would surely have seen what we saw) you said "If they didn't see that from where they were, they sure weren't going to see it on the telly!" Which is why I asked whether the video refs have a different angle.

It is without doubt that the ref made an error at the time and the video ref would have corrected it. This thread will be redundant in a couple of years and replaced with "Video ref watch" :smile:

15 hours ago, smokie36 said:

My pet hates are refs who stop the game for every infraction rather than letting it flow and those who dish out stupid cards willy nilly that end up spoiling a game.

my pet hate is players getting booked for removing their shirt when celebrating a goal. because it's a] a really, really stupid rule and though i can't prove it it's supposed to be based on the TV cameras not being able to see the sponsor's logo when the player has scored, which if true is nauseating and b] the players know that this stupid rule exists and yet still fall for it and cost themselves fines and eventually suspensions, which is also stupid on their part. so the whole thing is just stupid.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I watched it on the telly and thought it was a penalty. But when I mentioned video ref (who would surely have seen what we saw) you said "If they didn't see that from where they were, they sure weren't going to see it on the telly!" Which is why I asked whether the video refs have a different angle.

It is without doubt that the ref made an error at the time and the video ref would have corrected it. This thread will be redundant in a couple of years and replaced with "Video ref watch" :smile:

And you and Bredders will be the only ones in it, still moaning because the video refs got it wrong.

:smile:

Archived