Sound system for new TV

Trujillo

I bought a new Samsung KS9000 55" TV. 

I want to find some sound system that actually works with this TV. I had been using a stereo system that had a jack to plug into the TV, but new TV's do not have that anymore; it's either HDMI or optical audio. 

HomePro is pretty useless regarding selection. Siam TV, where I purchased the unit, didn't even have a single speaker system at all. 

I'm looking for some place where there is some selection and will work with this TV in Chiang Mai. 

Thanks

edit// Alternately, I could use an amp that supports jacks, then I could use my old system and headsets. 

Edited by Trujillo

I bought a converter online and either it is not working, or it doesn't work, because it doesn't work. ;)

I thought about a sound bar, but it's a pretty expensive TV and I thought some nice speakers, perhaps even 5.1, would be in order. 

Does anyone know a shop that might have a selection of sound systems? 

23 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I thought about a sound bar, but it's a pretty expensive TV and I thought some nice speakers, perhaps even 5.1, would be in order. 

Does the device where the media is playing from - TV, PC, Android Box, Satellite Box, etc. - support 5.1 surround sound and have the correct 5.1 connectors? 

1 hour ago, kaptainrob said:

A Samsung (or LG) soundbar does it for me and not so exxy in the overall purchase versus enjoyment process.  The missus wants a Sonos system for our next house ... doh! 

Rob, I have been quite impressed with some of the soundbars now on the market.  Naturally the sky is the limit as to specifications and price that one can pay.  In the lower price range I was quite impressed with a LG soundbar on display out at HomePro San Sai.  The sound was quite spectacular albeit the soundtrack was probably adapted to entice potential buyers.  I think both the Samsung and LG are around the 7-8k baht range.

Now for something really spectacular...look at the Yamaha range.  Now we are talking serious baht..lower range is about 11k upto the top end at 57k.

What has surprised me the most is that although there is just the sound bar and a base speaker, one could swear that speakers are behind you when its set up correctly. Technology is amazing.  No more spaghetti junction of wires everywhere and some even have the sub woofer running via bluetooth.

The older technology of 5.1 or even 7.1 generally need a good amp to run everything. Some DVD players have this ability or come as a package deal with a range of speakers.  Normally though they are at the lower end performance wise.

Just before Lanna Golf Course (On the 107 heading out to Mae Rim) and on the other side of the road, is a store not unlike Siam TV. I think its called Chiang Mai Sahapanich.  They do have quite a few high end systems in there, including Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer to name a few.  To get a real high end system..... a new mortgage may be required!  Always nice to see top quality stuff....as long as the sales staff dont get to pushy (And state the obvious..like its this brand sir, or this is a black one sir)

Hopefully Trujilo this has given you something to think about or at least a place to go look

Thanks CMKiwi, I had forgotten about that place. That's worth a stop. 

The wife might feel different if you had better audio. The built-in speakers are pretty crummy and do not do justice to the source material. And with better fidelity, you would not have to have the sound "loud." Alternately, get a new wife. 

How about the Yamaha YSP-5600 Dolby Atmos Enabled Sound Bar; a bargain at retail of US$1,600 (56,000 baht). 

Yamaha YSP-5600 Dolby Atmos Enabled Sound Bar.jpg

Edited by Trujillo

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just the standard speakers on the Tv, are too much,

the Wife is always complaining it's too LOUD.

regards worgeordie

Yes I found the built in speakers to be great- both loud and with a surround sound effect. No need for extra speakers.. 

Really depends on the model of TV. The models from a year of two back had speakers at the rear which faced towards the wall ( If wall mounted ) They were small and slim in profile so produced rather a tinny sound. Most of the latest flat TV's have improved on this design and now have forward facing speakers mounted along the sides or lower edge of the screen. Even so they are still a compromise and cannot compare to an external sound bar or separate amplifier and multi speaker surround sound set up.  Not to mention that the spoken dialog is often overwhelmed by the music and sound effects in many modern movies. Soundbars and surround sound systems usually offer voice enhancement filters to to remedy this. But none of these may be necessary in a small living room or studio condo.

Edited by Pdaz
improve the grammar

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Yes I found the built in speakers to be great- both loud and with a surround sound effect. No need for extra speakers.. 

Loud does not always mean good quality sound, I struggle to hear the dialogue clearly, but with speakers it is so much better.

Robinsons at Airport Plaza carries some Onkyo and Denon AV receivers starting at around 10,000 (that was a promotion on the basic Onkyo unit with pretty low end speakers) and the place that Kiwi mentioned on the way to Mae Rim has a wider selection.  Also worth a look is a shop in CM Business Park behind Big C Extra - turn in from the superhighway immediately after the new Fashion building where the CMBP sign is and the shop is the first one on the left past the next intersection.   I have the cheapo Onkyo which has 4 HDMI inputs, a passive sub and two speaker zones so you can serve more than one area if you want.  I've had better, but given that much of the material here doesn't even have 5.1 sound, despite what it says on the tin, it serves its purpose.

You will get a better signal for an audio system if you use the Digital Optical Output from the TV.

I bought an LG Home Theatre System from Lazada

Edited by rawhod

Sonos 3.1 on Lazada just 93980 baht..... at that price I might take two (Yeah right!). I must admit Id never heard of this brand before.  Have always stuck with Yamaha in the past and never been let down.

I spotted a 2nd hand Yamaha RV reciever when in Antwerp months back. 7.1 system with 2 zone setup.  Kicking myself that I didnt get it..... under 3000 baht.  Could have had the speakers for same price.  Unfortunately I was travelling light and no room in my bag.

The Yamaha YSP5600 does look sweet....

Stick with the Samsung curved sound bar that is desighned for your TV.  We have the J7501.  I have stopped using the HiFi system since we got it - clear sound and as much poswer as you could want.  It opewrates by HDMI cable to your TV or can be mated by Blutooth.

Links automatically to your Samsung TV.

You might want to build your sound system separately and avoid the home theater in a box option.  These packages often include a fair/decent receiver and cheap speakers.  Start with a quality A/V receiver that has HDMA/optical/subwoofer connections then go for your speakers.  Although there are 6.1 and 7.1 systems available, 5.1 should be sufficient.  2 fronts, 2 rears, center channel, and a subwoofer.  A center channel speaker will greatly improve listening to dialog.  

This approach may cost you more, but is usually a vast improvement over the above mentioned theater-in-a-box, one size fits all method.

14 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Sonos 3.1 on Lazada just 93980 baht..... at that price I might take two (Yeah right!). I must admit Id never heard of this brand before.  Have always stuck with Yamaha in the past and never been let down.

I spotted a 2nd hand Yamaha RV reciever when in Antwerp months back. 7.1 system with 2 zone setup.  Kicking myself that I didnt get it..... under 3000 baht.  Could have had the speakers for same price.  Unfortunately I was travelling light and no room in my bag.

The Yamaha YSP5600 does look sweet....

Much cheaper to order Sonos gear from US on Ebay. Even including shipping and taxes it is cheaper than buying in Thailand. The soundbars I bought in S'pore and hand carried.