Renting A 4x4 In Pattaya Local Company Or Big Multi National?

daveb1

Hi need some advice we want to rent a nice hefty 4x4 for our next trip over in Jan. Any one had experience of renting from a local rental company rather than one of the big rental companies. Bit worried about safety of cars and that insurance really does cover you for everything!

Trying to book from UK on big companies really hard as most 4x4's seem to be on request then they say no!!!!

Help or recommendations please thanks

:o

I am afraid I can't give you specific info about Pattaya.

But I have hired 4WDs all around the country. The local firms will be about 70% of the multi-national price. The cars will be much worse quality and older. Even obvious things like tyres not fully inflated may be missed. If you are prepared to risk a breakdown, save the money. Otherwise I'd go with Budget who have well-maintained vehicles, reasonable prices and offices around the country.

Hi need some advice we want to rent a nice hefty 4x4 for our next trip over in Jan. Any one had experience of renting from a local rental company rather than one of the big rental companies.

Bit worried about safety of cars and that insurance really does cover you for everything!

Trying to book from UK on big companies.....

Without question, use this company... Expat Car Rental - Jomtiem

>....nice hefty 4x4 for our next trip over in Jan.

Has a range of 4x4s on offer, but wise to book in high season. The fact that this guy runs out of cars is a testiment to the price and quaility of cars. I have taken cars from here for years now, if you explain you need something for a particular situation they can sort you out. I have had Isuzus, HiLux and Rangers inthe past, all good.

The cars are all serviced and have good tread on the tyres. Insurance is first class (Thai rating)good and clearly explained. The company is farang owned.

I have rented from Thai owned companies on Third road before, the car was old and the tyres a little scary in the wet, pisses down in Thailand at times ! :o

One point of advise, always carry your IDL with you. I find I get stopped about once a week driving around the country, this is almost always the first question.

...and yes they reply to emails. [email protected]

No connection just happy regular customer.

Cuban.

I have used Holiday rent for a really good 4wd pickup. This is the web site...same as above ....www.pattayacar-rent.com

THey are foriegn run and have reliable insurance, I thoroughly recommend them. They were streets ahead of any competitors. I rented several 4wds for trip s around the country of many rental companies and they were the best......However I haven't rented a vehicle from anyone for some time.

PS - they are located on 3rd rd up towards the Pattaya North rd end (i.e.TESCOS end)

Edited by wilko

Apply for your international drivers licence before you come here. There are two different types issued in the UK, Only one of these covers Thailand.

I believe it will cost you roughly £15 sterling and you can get it from the AA,

check their web site here

Have rented cars many times (Budget, Hertz, Q Cars, etc) in Thailand with only my US (GA) driver’s license. Since all the international drivers license is a translation (and not into Thai anyway) the rental companies only require the license to be in English (UK licenses are still in English aren't they? :o )

Apply for your international drivers licence before you come here. There are two different types issued in the UK, Only one of these covers Thailand.

I believe it will cost you roughly £15 sterling and you can get it from the AA,

check their web site here

Have rented cars many times (Budget, Hertz, Q Cars, etc) in Thailand with only my US (GA) driver’s license. Since all the international drivers license is a translation (and not into Thai anyway) the rental companies only require the license to be in English (UK licenses are still in English aren't they? :o )

Sorry I didn’t make it clear the reason for the international driving licence,

Firstly the police can fine you for driving with a UK licence. (it doesn’t cover driving in Thailand only England).

Secondly the insurance company may not (and perhaps will not) pay out if an international licence is not used. After all a UK licence means nothing in the Thailand.

If you wish to get a Thai driving licence, it can be obtained within 3 hours, without a driving test and theory test if an international licence is produced.

Produce a UK driving licence and it will take longer with more tests etc.

So Again if you are planning on driving in Thailand apply for an international driving licence.

Since all the international drivers license is a translation (and not into Thai anyway) the rental companies only require the license to be in English (UK licenses are still in English aren't they?)

WHEN you are stopped by the Highway Police, they will only be interested in the International Driving Licence first and sometimes your Passport.

With no IDL you will be committing an offence that is likely to result in some form of fine... :o

Car hire companies are not responsible for your moving traffic offences, as long as they have your Passport number (TM numbers to place a hold on you skipping the country) and your credit card details you can take a car, if you drive it illegally it is the police that you will be talking too.

Since all the international drivers license is a translation (and not into Thai anyway) the rental companies only require the license to be in English (UK licenses are still in English aren't they?)

WHEN you are stopped by the Highway Police, they will only be interested in the International Driving Licence first and sometimes your Passport.

With no IDL you will be committing an offence that is likely to result in some form of fine... :o

Car hire companies are not responsible for your moving traffic offences, as long as they have your Passport number (TM numbers to place a hold on you skipping the country) and your credit card details you can take a car, if you drive it illegally it is the police that you will be talking too.

Have you ever driven in Thailand?, been stopped by police? given them a western Licence or an IDL? If so please give us details on how the police demanded a IDL.

Oh, and if you are stopped by police, chances are you are paying a fine with or without IDL.

Get the IDL if it convienent, but it is not the end of world if you don't have it.

:D

TH

Have you ever driven in Thailand?, been stopped by police? given them a western Licence or an IDL? If so please give us details on how the police demanded a IDL.

I have driven all over Thailand, city and countryside.

The police check points do ask for IDL, if you offer your national licence they do say, "International." This is what they have been trained to do, and you should know that employed Thais follow the rules/guidelines that they have been given. In some up country places that see few farang this will be the only English spoken by many highway police. Regular police will ask for Passport, mostly as they are curious.

I have been stopped many times, fined for speeding, being in the wrong lane in Bangkok (where I was extorted 500 Baht), and had the car searched for drugs (up near the Western boarder with Burma). I have generally found the police reasonable and flexible when talking about the fine structure.

In the cities you will find the police more flexible about accepting a Western Licence, however I suspect an automatic fine follows.

I was stopped in speeding and in the wrong lane in Si Racha two weeks ago, playing the dumb tourist I got away with just a conversation and showing an IDL.

I suggest you do what you consider works for you.

You should make your own choices in life.

Oh, and if you are stopped by police, chances are you are paying a fine with or without IDL.

Get the IDL if it convienent, but it is not the end of world if you don't have it.

TH

I rented cars in Thailand on more than 30 occasions. True, the companies did ask for the IDL but always accepted my Oz national driving license.

Got stopped by police about 15 times. Not always did they ask for the IDL. But always accepted my Oz license with no problems. Once I paid a fine and, funny, that time they did not ask for any document.

I guess, the IDL is good when you have a Japanese or some other license that is not in English.

Cuban may have overstated it.

Also, if convenient, I would get the IDL. No way I would take a day off from work to go and get it for driving in Thailand.

Edited by think_too_mut

TH

I rented cars in Thailand on more than 30 occasions. True, the companies did ask for the IDL but always accepted my Oz national driving license.

Got stopped by police about 15 times. Not always did they ask for the IDL. But always accepted my Oz license with no problems. Once I paid a fine and, funny, that time they did not ask for any document.

I guess, the IDL is good when you have a Japanese or some other license that is not in English.

Also, if convenient, I would get the IDL. No way I would take a day off from work to go and get it for driving in Thailand.

You say that but what happens if you have a serious crash and the insurance will not pay out.

The International Driving licence can be obtained by post, see my earlier link, it is very easy to get and costs £15. The question is why would you not get an internaional driving licence?

It is there to cover you driving in foreign country's

TH

You say that but what happens if you have a serious crash and the insurance will not pay out.

The International Driving licence can be obtained by post, see my earlier link, it is very easy to get and costs £15. The question is why would you not get an internaional driving licence?

It is there to cover you driving in foreign country's

So what? A serious crash where, in the court they have to prove that I was not licensed and not capable of driving?

Or, that I was OK but I did not have that IDL paper? Would the absence of that paper (that is not in Thai anyway) lend me into a prison for 10 years?

The real trouble would be, if I presented the rental company with my Japanese ID card claiming it is a driving license. Normally, they would not know the difference. And they take photocopies of whatever license you had produced and of your passport. If there is an accident, then I am in trouble.

Those protocols from 1950s are outdated and not really observed.

Edited by think_too_mut

Sounds about par for the course, Mr Cuban. More or less what I've experienced. I've had the "wrong lane" thing twice....once in Rayong when I was overtking on a dual carriageway (200) and again in Bkk...the guy started by asking for 1000 but settled for 500.

Just looked at the RAC website and the IDP is £5.50 for 1 £11 for two.

They last a year,so most regular visitors will get more than one holiday out of it.You can download the form off the site,need to send two passport photo's and a photocopy of your driving liscence.Easy peasy.

Bugsy

Just looked at the RAC website and the IDP is £5.50 for 1 £11 for two.

They last a year,so most regular visitors will get more than one holiday out of it.You can download the form off the site,need to send two passport photo's and a photocopy of your driving liscence.Easy peasy.

Bugsy

If you wish to use this licence to obtain a Thai driving licence, they only will allow its use if the IDL 3 months or less . I.e. if the IDL is older than 3 months then the Thai Driving licence department will not allow its use to obtain a thai driving licence

have driven all over Thailand, city and countryside.

The police check points do ask for IDL, if you offer your national licence they do say, "International." This is what they have been trained to do, and you should know that employed Thais follow the rules/guidelines that they have been given. In some up country places that see few farang this will be the only English spoken by many highway police. Regular police will ask for Passport, mostly as they are curious.

So have I for many years and never once been asked for an IDL.

I've also been in accidents and never been asked.

Get a Thai one - it's simple to get.

Remember you are NOT driving in UK or USA - things are diferent here.

OP why the need for a 4x4 - are you going to be driving on the beach :o:D

Those protocols from 1950s are outdated and not really observed.

Good point. I have driven in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand using my US State license with no problems, even from police. The IDL is nothing more than a certified translation (usless in Thailand as it is not tranlated into Thai), carries no weight on its own, and must be used with valid license.

Get it if it makes you more comfortable....

TH

Edited by thaihome

Always used Q Cars in Jontiem, never had a problem.

I agree, Q Car will be hard to beat for vehicles, price and service. It's always nice to be able to talk to farangs regarding prices, insurance and service.