Anyone got a non-B in Yangon recently?

Stickied thread is over a year old so thought time to ask again.  I have to do what is hopefully my last ever visa run to change over to a new non-B so I can do everything through BOI at Chamchuri square instead of Chaeng Wattana.  I've been a couple of times to Saigon and that was great, no line, no fuss, give them the paper work, come back the next day and enjoy a Banh Mi in the meantime.

Considering doing Rangon this time just for variety and since I've never been to Myanmar.  Whats it like there?  Horrible queues like at Vientiane?   Shwedagon Pagoda looks amazing so wouldn't mind crossing that off the list, as long as the embassy will be relatively painless.  Any recent experiences?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Don't forget you will need to get a visa on arrival for Myanmar or apply for one at their embassy.

eVisa application already filled in yesterday and paid for online.  All online and you get emailed back a PDF which you then print and show on arrival.  All painless and pretty easy.

Official government eVisa site is here:  http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

Update.  Ok so first Yangon is ridiculously cheap 70 cents US for a draught beer and $2 taxi fare pretty much anywhere in the city.  It won't last so visit soon.

Embassy accepted my application apart from the usual rigamarole about having to explain to them that as a BOI company I don't need letter from ministry of labour, will start a different thread on that.  The embassy waiting room is aircon and there was no queue even though I turned up at 9:30 AM.  One tip make sure you have your photos already done and US dollars to pay for the visa, there is no where to do those things near the embassy.  Actually finding a place to take passport photos at all was a pain, get them before you leave easier.  Much much better than Vietianne, so if you can grab a cheap airfare here I recommend it.

Pick up the visa at 2pm so off to sight see in the meantime.

Edited by eskatonia
  • Like 2

Update number 2: non-B visa approved and collected.  As mentioned in another thread if you are applying for a non-B with a letter from BOI (instead of letter from ministry of labour) then you are better off going to Singapore or KL, or entering on visa waiver and changing to non-B inside Thailand.

Yangon is pleasant enough except there is constant rainy drizzle this time of year.  Loads of cafes with free wifi, definitely go check out 14th street in the evening for cheap good BBQ food and you'll like meet other ex-pats there.  Look for Kosan Bar.  Overall I prefer Saigon as a place to chill out for a few days, but Yangon is miles miles better than Vientiane.  I stayed at CheckIn@Downtown on street 14 in China town.  Would recommend, very friendly family run the place, clean rooms and secure.  About $40 US a night, theres cheaper options if you look on booking.com

Edited by eskatonia
  • Like 2

Thanks for those reports. Very useful info. I often go to Saigon (not 4 visa) just nice place to chill. Will now check out Yangon. With the online visa did you need to do any application upon arrival (as per saigon. Hanoi etc) or just get a stamp in your pp? 

BTW currently in Hanoi. They have vastly improved the procedure for visa on arrival. Also last month was in Saigon, the procedure there still takes a good 30 minutes.

9 minutes ago, jacksam said:

Thanks for those reports. Very useful info. I often go to Saigon (not 4 visa) just nice place to chill. Will now check out Yangon. With the online visa did you need to do any application upon arrival (as per saigon. Hanoi etc) or just get a stamp in your pp? 

BTW currently in Hanoi. They have vastly improved the procedure for visa on arrival. Also last month was in Saigon, the procedure there still takes a good 30 minutes.

You apply for it online. http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/

• Like 1

The eVisa is painless, just pay $50US and you get a letter emailed to you within 2 or 3 days.  A few more thoughts, the general level of english was much higher than in Thailand, well among the taxi drivers at least, several of which told me in perfectly fluent english all about the problems of Myanmar.  Apart from the taxi from the airport I was always charged a fair price, taxis don't use meters but it's at most $3 for a fare around Yangon.  Taxi from the airport should cost you $8US or about 10000 Kyat.  Kyat can't be changed into Thai-Baht anywhere, so make sure you change any left over Kyat back to USD before leaving the country, they're completely worthless outside Myanmar.

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is BOI?  I have a non-immigrant business visa which expires in January.  I obtained it through Siam Legal and at the time they said they would assist me in getting an extension, but now they say they will not.  Therefore, I was just reading through these forums trying to learn what I can on my own.  

5 hours ago, Christopher Ryan said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is BOI?  I have a non-immigrant business visa which expires in January.  I obtained it through Siam Legal and at the time they said they would assist me in getting an extension, but now they say they will not.  Therefore, I was just reading through these forums trying to learn what I can on my own.  

Board Of Investment. This is a Thai Government Agency that works with pre approved Thai businesses to expedite matters such as work permits and extensions of stay for selected employees.