Thailand's tiger tourism expands despite raid on infamous tiger temple

webfact

Thailand's tiger tourism expands despite raid on infamous tiger temple

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat | BANGKOK

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's tiger tourism business is booming and the captive tiger population is growing fast, experts say, more than two months after Thai wildlife authorities found scores of dead cubs while rescuing animals from the popular Tiger Temple.

Animal rights activists called on tourists to shun Thai animal attractions, which they say are cruel and should be shut down, after the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi province, west of Bangkok, closed in June.

Thai wildlife authorities vowed to inspect other tiger attractions, and confiscated 24 tigers from two venues, but the scrutiny has been short-lived.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tigers-idUSKCN10Y0D5

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2016-08-24

In Nong Nooch i saw tigers being kept on chains of a half meter so tourists could make pictures with them.

I think a chain of 50 cm is a bit short for a fullgrown tiger and didn't like to see it.

Also their parrots sit in small dark cages.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

In Nong Nooch i saw tigers being kept on chains of a half meter so tourists could make pictures with them.

I think a chain of 50 cm is a bit short for a fullgrown tiger and didn't like to see it.

Also their parrots sit in small dark cages.

A chain of any length is too short...:redcard1:

22 hours ago, mike324 said:

I think the tiger temple makes up the biggest of the tiger trips. The rest are small fish and easy to deal with as many are just private business venues. So its up the government to draft up new laws.

Or they may not bother with the rest since they are small fish.

58 minutes ago, mesterm said:

Or they may not bother with the rest since they are small fish.

true, which is why thailand has compounding problems as they see these small problems as not a biggie and just let it slide...which snowballs into one big mess

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2016 at 10:31 AM, mike324 said:

I think the tiger temple makes up the biggest of the tiger trips. The rest are small fish and easy to deal with as many are just private business venues. So its up the government to draft up new laws.

Rubbish! there are many very large tiger attractions in Thailand......Chiang Mai, Phuket and Sri Racha to name but three.