Praewa completes her community service, 4 years after the court orders it

webfact

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

The link also mentions the 30Million Baht the civil court ordered her to pay the relatives of the deceased.

Wonder if it has been paid?

She might have "misunderstood" that too and thought that it was only 30,000 baht in total.

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What has the case got to do with the government? Unless you believe it is they who enforce the laws rather than the police, a common misconception among TV commentators. The government MAKES the laws. It is up to others to enforce them, not the government.

As for the 'settlement', that is the way things are done in Thailand, where money always trumps justice. In my village a kid riding a motorbike killed someone, and the kid's family simply paid compensation. The police never even got involved. Some might see that as a more practical way of dealing with such matters.

The courts are subservient to the government. In all things. No judges fancy inactive posts, and they're all 'loyal' Thais... so it has lots to do with the government.

Proof of the pudding. get that nice Mr Prayuh to do a section 44 for the judge's edification, and see how quickly she gets banged up. But he won't of course, he needs all the 'Na Ayuddyah's' he can get. Favours owed.

Winnie

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Let's face it,    the BIB etc aren't exactly known for their diligence or devotion to duty so if there's a financial settlement and no charges it gives them even less to do.

Not just the BiB - the whole justice system. Prosecutors reluctant to prosecute, even with very open and shut cases, and no one seemingly interested in pursuing the actual truth and punishing offenders appropriately.

Justice becomes more of a convenience and what can be best negotiated. The victim(s) - oh well, they're dead anyway mentality.

1 hour ago, Winniedapu said:

The courts are subservient to the government. In all things. No judges fancy inactive posts, and they're all 'loyal' Thais... so it has lots to do with the government.

Proof of the pudding. get that nice Mr Prayuh to do a section 44 for the judge's edification, and see how quickly she gets banged up. But he won't of course, he needs all the 'Na Ayuddyah's' he can get. Favours owed.

Winnie

This case happened during the PTP regime. Didn't notice any of that crew taking any action "in the interests of justice".

So the cost/value of a life in Thailand is 15.333 hours of community service then? As she was underage at the time of the accident her parents should have been charged with murder as they gave her the car.

7 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Didn't this rich family have the services of an expensive lawyer who would have explained the terms of the original sentence   ?

It doesn't matter as it would only get in the way the pathetic excuse of   '  I didn't understand  '.

If she didn't have one is she so stupid that she couldn't understand? I doubt it

Edited by gandalf12

1 hour ago, Winniedapu said:

Winnie

I can't agree with you here.

She was convicted 4 years ago under the PTP government of that nice Yingluck Shinawatra and I suspect that the same judges are still around under Prayuth.

TBH he doesn't really need the "help" of her family at all. I suspect (but I don't know being a farang) that he has friends in better and higher places than them.

8 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Yes. She seems to constantly misunderstand. Like you shouldnt be driving if you dont have a licence.

Anyway, no problem. The 9 people she killed were just considered insignificant... to her!

Well,...those 9 people's lives ware rather insignificant for the court to if they just gave her community work without a jail sentence....

Lets face it, community work is not a real punishment !!!

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What has the case got to do with the government? Unless you believe it is they who enforce the laws rather than the police, a common misconception among TV commentators. The government MAKES the laws. It is up to others to enforce them, not the government.

As for the 'settlement', that is the way things are done in Thailand, where money always trumps justice. In my village a kid riding a motorbike killed someone, and the kid's family simply paid compensation. The police never even got involved. Some might see that as a more practical way of dealing with such matters.

carte  blanche to  kill if you have enough money.............what a great idea!

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

Unfortunately there is no such thing as karma, or Thai justice. This brat got away with killing 9 people but thinks she was hard done by and that the sentence, if you can call it that, was too harsh. The hi so here are like the French aristocracy before the revolution.

As much as I detest the way that all attempts were made to avoid doing any punishment for this crime...

Lets put this in prospective... did she intend to kill anyone???

The real criminals here are the people who knowingly let people who are not qualified (and under age) to drive cars and bikes to do so, I.E. their parents, the police who take bribe, the school teachers who see them park up at or near school and do nothing and Thai society that thinks it is not wrong.

This case is so disgusting, I don't even want to discuss it anymore!

The worst thing is, that she will NOT have nightmares, this "accident" will NOT haunt her for the rest of her pampered life and she does NOT understand or is taught to understand, what she has done!

She killed some unworthy peasants and then somebody made her do too many gross things for her to bare!

She was given a minimum sentence (suspended driving...which she will do anyways), did some "community work" in a hospital SHE CHOOSE and that was run by daddy's friend (I bet, she didn't show up even ONCE!) and her family paid an average of 91.000 Euro per dead peasant!

...and they still think, she got treated harshly and unfair!

It is really comical, if it weren't so sad and horrible!

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I can't agree with you here.

She was convicted 4 years ago under the PTP government of that nice Yingluck Shinawatra and I suspect that the same judges are still around under Prayuth.

TBH he doesn't really need the "help" of her family at all. I suspect (but I don't know being a farang) that he has friends in better and higher places than them.

Then our opinions differ. The famous names are untouchable, by any government. For the time being.

I'm really not concerned with which government she was convicted under, the judiciary is corrupt now, and it was then too. No getting around it. The judiciary have the same sense of loyalty as the army, and that's not to the thai people.

Winnie

11 hours ago, robblok said:

While I agree the punishment was light and it seems HISO seem to get off easy.. what about the truck driver that killed that around the world bicyclist.. he did not do any time either. In general not often is there jail-time done when killing someone with a car. I have heard of people in my extended family that killed someone with a car too.. also no time done after a settlement. They were certainly not HISO or loaded with money. 

A little bit different than your example - not least of which the fact she killed NINE people.

4 minutes ago, denkiblue555 said:

A little bit different than your example - not least of which the fact she killed NINE people.

Making no excuses here.. I mean the lady is guilty and should be punished.. just saying that there are not many people going to jail for killing people with a car. And yes the lady was extra bad killing so many and no license. 

18 hours ago, off road pat said:

Well,...those 9 people's lives ware rather insignificant for the court to if they just gave her community work without a jail sentence....

Lets face it, community work is not a real punishment !!!

And she tried really hard, presumably with the approval of her feckless and amoral parents, not to even to that...

Shameful. Thailand needs a Star Chamber.

Winnie

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe in karma or other mumbo- jumbo!

And given the fact, that her family is rich and has the 'right" name, she will live a sheltered and happy life.

For the moment anyway. I'm told she's on somebody's list. She's due a sizeable handbag-full of pretty bad luck. Best get down the temple now girlie.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

I dont like , but accept reluctantly that this is the way things are in Thailand , simply part of the pros and cons of living here.

What I find extraordinary , really baffling , is the seemingly large bands of Farang who support those who , at any cost , strive to keep such fuedal patronage alive.