Alice Cooper for the White House!

webfact

Alice Cooper for the White House!

606x341_341991.jpg

NEW YORK: -- “I wanna be elected!” Alice Cooper belts out in one of his best-known songs.

And with the White House up for grabs in November, the veteran shock rocker is deadly serious…well, sort of!

Cooper has announced that he is running to become US President – and British Prime Minister – under the slogan “A Troubled Man for Troubled Times’.

In fact, the legendary rocker’s bid for power is more about promotion than politics, with a new release of his 1972 hit 
‘Elected’ and plenty of campaign material for sale.

But he does have a manifesto – pledging, for example, a ban on taking selfies, except on a designated National Selfie Day.

And just in case that doesn’t get him ‘elected’, Alice can take comfort in the knowledge that he will go down in history for this….

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-24

57 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It's a shame that some reasonable and fairly well known person doesn't make a  serious run at being POTUS. So many people are horrified at what is going to happen in November (either way). That the odds have never been better for an independent.

cost an incredible amount of money to run so you need some heavy hitting backers. this means  you are no longer really independent as you become a puppet for who ever is funding you. great system for keeping the small man out.

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

cost an incredible amount of money to run so you need some heavy hitting backers. this means  you are no longer really independent as you become a puppet for who ever is funding you. great system for keeping the small man out.

And that says it all about the self titled, "greatest democracy in the world".

Fail

Edited by canuckamuck

1 hour ago, halloween said:

But, but, but, they have elections. Not that the majority of eligible citizens bother to register or vote.

Yes, obviously a military take-over is WAY better!

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

My apologies, 54.9%, outstanding result.

Wiki is not the best source for this.  From my link:

Voter turnout dipped from 62.3 percent of eligible citizens voting in 2008 to an estimated 57.5 in 2012. That figure was also below the 60.4 level of the 2004 election but higher than the 54.2 percent turnout in the 2000 election.

Not great, but not bad.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Wiki is not the best source for this.  From my link:

Not great, but not bad.

"Note: While final exact figures for 2012 are yet to be calculated, the Bipartisan Policy Center has stated that turnout for 2012 was 57.5 percent of the eligible voters, which they claim was a decline from 2008. They estimate that as a percent of eligible voters, turn out was: 2000, 54.2%; in 2004 60.4%; 2008 62.3%; and 2012 57.5%.[9] These were the same figures as given by the Center for the Study of the American Electorate.[10]

Later analysis by the University of California, Santa Barbara's American Presidency Project found that there were 235,248,000 people of voting age in the United States in the 2012 election, resulting in 2012 voting age population (VAP) turnout of 54.9%."

Perhaps it is a better source. Our democracy wouldn't consider ~30% much of a mandate.

29 minutes ago, halloween said:

"Note: While final exact figures for 2012 are yet to be calculated, the Bipartisan Policy Center has stated that turnout for 2012 was 57.5 percent of the eligible voters, which they claim was a decline from 2008. They estimate that as a percent of eligible voters, turn out was: 2000, 54.2%; in 2004 60.4%; 2008 62.3%; and 2012 57.5%.[9] These were the same figures as given by the Center for the Study of the American Electorate.[10]

Later analysis by the University of California, Santa Barbara's American Presidency Project found that there were 235,248,000 people of voting age in the United States in the 2012 election, resulting in 2012 voting age population (VAP) turnout of 54.9%."

Perhaps it is a better source. Our democracy wouldn't consider ~30% much of a mandate.

This isn't a mandate.  It's an election to a position that does not hold absolute power.

And what democracy are you speaking of that requires almost 90% turnout for a mandate?

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This isn't a mandate.  It's an election to a position that does not hold absolute power.

And what democracy are you speaking of that requires almost 90% turnout for a mandate?

5555 Yeah, right.  Until god is elected, POTUS will have to do as a powerful position.

I never mentioned 90%, but if you like http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?id=15

BTW voting is NOT compulsory in Oz, attending a polling booth is.

10 minutes ago, halloween said:

5555 Yeah, right.  Until god is elected, POTUS will have to do as a powerful position.

I never mentioned 90%, but if you like http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?id=15

BTW voting is NOT compulsory in Oz, attending a polling booth is.

Got ya.  Impressive stats, but voting is compulsory.  If ya got to go to the booth, it's compulsory.  Sure, you can skip it, you you need to be there.  HUGE difference.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23810381

The continent is part of a small minority of just 23 countries with mandatory voting laws. Only 10 of those enforce them.

Spoilt ballots count for around 6% of the total votes cast in the 2010 election. Taken together with the number of eligible voters who fail to register, the actual percentage for voter turnout in Australia's federal elections hovers in the low 80s.

"If voting was democratic, politicians would be beholden to the voters, they couldn't hold a gun to our heads and force us to vote, they'd have to give us a good reason to vote. They'd have to inspire us.

I'll stick with US (true) democracy.

9 minutes ago, halloween said:

Actually,  the list of things the US President cannot do is much longer then what he can do. As far as a comparison to other heads of state,  except for being the civilian commander in chief of the largest armed forces in the world (still subject to tightly controlled legal orders), he/she is very limited in their power.  Presidents have often complained of this in their papers.   

The media likes to potray it otherwise, and certainly the trappings of power are there,  but actual power to comparable to God is pretty small. Those Americans that paid attention in their civic classes realize this, but most have forgotten and base their understanding on the media. For example, if Obama were the next thing to God,  ISIS would be gone a long time ago.

TH 

Many celebrities say they are running for President each election, but if course it's words only as they take none of the legal/administrative actions to officially run.  They'll do or say anything to keep their name in the lights (sounds like Trump).

57 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Got ya.  Impressive stats, but voting is compulsory.  If ya got to go to the booth, it's compulsory.  Sure, you can skip it, you you need to be there.  HUGE difference.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23810381

I'll stick with US (true) democracy.

Yeah 55% is so much more democratic than low 80s. If you have a problem with compulsory polling booth attendance every few years, you might want to consider a little balance between your rights and your duties as a citizen.

BTW the fine is quite small, and every effort is made to assist those who can't attend or will be away from home to cast their vote. If you can, explain how having as many eligible voters as possible casting their ballot as being less democratic? The airheads quoted by the BBC certainly couldn't manage it.

Edited by halloween

1 minute ago, halloween said:

Yeah 55% is so much more democratic than low 80s. If you have a problem with compulsory polling booth attendance every few years, you might want to consider a little balance between your rights and your duties as a citizen.

BTW the fine is quite small, and every effort is made to assist those who can't attend or will be away from home to cast their vote. If you can, explain how having as many eligible voters casting their ballot as being less democratic? The airheads quoted by the BBC certainly couldn't manage it.

I bet if it was compulsory in the US, the numbers would be MUCH higher. LOL 

One of the pillars of democracy is freedom.  Freedom to do what you want.  For better or worse.  Compulsory voting doesn't sound like a freedom to me.  P.S. I'm not actually a fan of democracy....but that's another conversation.

Anyway, off topic.  Back to the OP, please.

:wai2:

5 hours ago, monkey4u said:

Poor old Alice is starting to show his age

:w00t:

but all us oldies are   :(

One of my best mates went to high school with him. Apparently he turned up to one of the reunions on his Harley with a snake around his neck. :clap2:

I am just as impressed by the fact he was(still is?) a 6-handicapper. Lowest I ever got down to was 7. Mind you, he could probably afford to play more often than I can.

Great song, though.

9 hours ago, koolkarl said:

At least he will speak the truth. He would have my vote!

Pretty much everyone says they want their politicians to tell the truth...They don't of course. The entire electorate is like one big blubber bound fluffer asking of their politicians "Do I look fat in this?". They get the answer they're looking for more often than not. When they don't? Well it's good by mfker to the politician stupid enough to think that the electorate isn't stupider still. Here's what the electorate craves and craves  like a four year junky on a two day Jones - believable lies. That's right, believable lies. Great big self-aggrandizing, believable lies. If only the electorate had but one neck.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Many celebrities say they are running for President each election, but if course it's words only as they take none of the legal/administrative actions to officially run.  They'll do or say anything to keep their name in the lights (sounds like Trump).

It's called political satire, and the two historical examples given earlier are prime examples. It would appear that satirist are bit stumped this year as it is hard to come up with something more ludicrous then Trump running for president. 

TH 

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

And that says it all about the self titled, "greatest democracy in the world".

Fail

i would still rate the american system of an election every 4 years  above the current system we have here in thailand where there is a coup every 4 years.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen