Why you shouldn't play Pokémon Go on a motorbike

webfact

Why you shouldn't play Pokémon Go on a motorbike

a4a.jpg

Image: Daily News

NONG KHAI: -- It is a picture that should remind everyone of the folly of looking at a mobile phone while driving.

In this case the driver is a motorcyclist in the northern Thai province of Nong Khai, reported Daily News.

A witness in the area of the Nong Song Hong checkpoint on the Friendship Highway near Nong Khai told police that they saw this motorcyclist bending his head down looking at his phone as he drove along going fast.

When he looked up it was too late - despite breaking Suphachai Chaijan, 19, slammed head first into the back of a truck loaded with sand that was parked by the side of the road.

The Nong Khai youth was embedded in the back of the truck - an impact that fractured his skull and sprung his right eye out of its socket.

He was unconscious and was taken to hospital but is believed to have died from his serious injuries.

Truck driver Watanachai Baoraksa said he was taking a load of sand to a customer and had parked by the side of the road to eat. Ten minutes later he came back and was checking his tires when he heard the sound of braking then the impact on his truck.

The witness told the police that the youth was probably looking at the Line application or even playing Pokémon Go. Police said that they would examine the phone to discover what had led to Suphachai's death.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-24

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe he was watching a football replay.

For the headlines to scream Pokemon is just ridiculous . The plain fact is that he was using a mobile whilst in charge of a vehicle a fact that is somewhat lost in this Pokemon frenzy.

And where is the Pokemon posse police with their yellow balloons ?

Great finger pointing opportunity !

7 minutes ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Or maybe he was watching a football replay.

For the headlines to scream Pokemon is just ridiculous . The plain fact is that he was using a mobile whilst in charge of a vehicle a fact that is somewhat lost in this Pokemon frenzy.

And where is the Pokemon posse police with their yellow balloons ?

Great finger pointing opportunity !

Exactly,   drivers and riders have been illegally,   and dangerously,   using their phones long before Pokemon came on the scene.

Seems to be the in thing to mention the game as often as possible.

I read in the Tech News section that the BIB in Bkk have been ordered to download the game so they can see what it's all about to help in their duties   !       As if many haven't done it already.

Will there be a mass oath taking ceremony where they pledge to only open the game when on duty in furtherance of their enforcement action   ?

Did the truck use his hazardlights when parking along the road?

And why do they park big trucks like that along a road? They do it everywhere and it's very dangerous.

Also taxidrivers drive very slow when they are searching for customers, they cause a lot of congestion/frustration among other drivers.

Thailand needs parkingplaces along the roads where vendors can sell and drivers can rest..

Also it needs police who keep the roads safe.....oh well, keep on dreaming...

7 minutes ago, Thian said:

Agree with everything except the last line.

It takes two to tangle. People have to learn to be responsible for their own safety. Yes the lorry should have been lit, if it was not. Yes their should be off road parking - but there is not much in the way of roadside lorry stops provided in  los. . 

The rider should not have been riding while on the phone, but the attraction of the phone for whatever reason outways the boring job of riding a bike, the same as it does to simple boring car driving. 

The problem with expecting enforcement to work is that it does not. Enforcement only works where enforced, even in places like the UK where it is enforced, there are not enough enforcers to address the problem. People will continue to use their phones for a ton of different reasons while sharing the roads. Fact of life. 

The only way to address it is change the way people are taught to share the roads. Move on from the current safety 1 approach and convert on to the new thinking of safety 2. This is far more about ongoing improvement, continuous learning and sharing the roads together. Not that this will help the guy in the OP, he has probably had no training anyway. But it will start addressing the bigger issue. 

32 minutes ago, CarolJadzia said:

Agree with everything except the last line.

It takes two to tangle. People have to learn to be responsible for their own safety. Yes the lorry should have been lit, if it was not. Yes their should be off road parking - but there is not much in the way of roadside lorry stops provided in  los. . 

The rider should not have been riding while on the phone, but the attraction of the phone for whatever reason outways the boring job of riding a bike, the same as it does to simple boring car driving. 

The problem with expecting enforcement to work is that it does not. Enforcement only works where enforced, even in places like the UK where it is enforced, there are not enough enforcers to address the problem. People will continue to use their phones for a ton of different reasons while sharing the roads. Fact of life. 

The only way to address it is change the way people are taught to share the roads. Move on from the current safety 1 approach and convert on to the new thinking of safety 2. This is far more about ongoing improvement, continuous learning and sharing the roads together. Not that this will help the guy in the OP, he has probably had no training anyway. But it will start addressing the bigger issue. 

It takes two to tangle. People have to learn to be responsible for their own safety. 

I wish! We are told what to do all the time, under threat of persecution or prosecution. Wear a helmet, that will save your life.......................Oh! Maybe not. Wear a seatbelt............. and possibly get trapped in burning or submerged vehicles. Follow the laws like sheep "they" know better!

Just now, chrissables said:

It takes two to tangle. People have to learn to be responsible for their own safety. 

I wish! We are told what to do all the time, under threat of persecution or prosecution. Wear a helmet, that will save your life.......................Oh! Maybe not. Wear a seatbelt............. and possibly get trapped in burning or submerged vehicles. Follow the laws like sheep "they" know better!

Sorry to be the language pedant chaps, but it takes 2 to Tango, not tangle.

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Most amazing part of this is that he was wearing a helmet ! What chance of that ?

Nah most amazing thing about this is a man I dead and all you could see fit to do is make a cheap helmet comment.

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Nah most amazing thing about this is a man I dead and all you could see fit to do is make a cheap helmet comment.

I did not see a cheap helmet statement, where did he write that?

Following your logic if he was wearing an expensive helmet, would that have stopped the accident?

1 minute ago, Rykbanlor said:

Sorry to be the language pedant chaps, but it takes 2 to Tango, not tangle.

Yes the original does say that. But "It takes two to tangle" is a play on words that I stole from my friends at "No Surprise / No Accident"

It is mentioned on the "Background and aims" page and it is a direct reference to the fact that there is normally a lot of different factors that lead to an accident. Not simply just one person's fault. 

:vampire:  :thumbsup: :clap2:Not the slightest bit of sympathy for these F-tards. When driving, undivided attention on DRIVING. They drive recklessly enough even when paying attention! Just glad he offed himself and not someone else. 

Som Nam Naa :redcard1:

Edited by Skeptic7

1 hour ago, Thian said:

And why do they park big trucks like that along a road? They do it everywhere and it's very dangerous.

Also taxidrivers drive very slow when they are searching for customers, they cause a lot of congestion/frustration among other drivers.

Thailand needs parkingplaces along the roads where vendors can sell and drivers can rest..

Err hello - the truck was parked off the road (clue, the white lines mark the road) and where taxi drivers come into this I have no idea.

Bottom line was this moron was not looking where he was going - too bad, he deserves everything he got

1 hour ago, Thian said:

"Did the truck use his hazard lights when parking along the road?"

It wouldn't have mattered if the truck was covered in flashing lights and surrounded by coyote girls. The idiot driving the motorbike was not paying attention to where he was driving. For his inattention and foolishness, he will pay with his life or spend it in a seriously incapacitated condition. As the saying goes, "You can't cure stupid"

People operating motor vehicles of any type should be paying 100% attention to the road around them and not watching their TVs, phones or dozing. 

5 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Err hello - the truck was parked off the road (clue, the white lines mark the road) and where taxi drivers come into this I have no idea.

Bottom line was this moron was not looking where he was going - too bad, he deserves everything he got

Actually, that white line defines the motorbike lane. Totally wrong in my opinion, but motorbike must always keep left.

35 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Following your logic if he was wearing an expensive helmet, would that have stopped the accident?

and your logic?

wearing a helmet would not have stopped the accident for sure

- but it might very well  have saved his life

4 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

and your logic?

wearing a helmet would not have stopped the accident for sure

- but it might very well  have saved his life

Might? Might not, as his eye was dangling from it's socket due the force of impact the internal injuries would most probably have killed him.

46 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I understand nuance can be difficult when English is a second language, the statement was cheap my good fellow, not the helmet.

I stopped using motorcycle taxis because of operators using cell phones while driving, putting me at risk.

I believe car taxis are cheaper considering possible, future medical expenses with a motorcycle taxi!

However, I must admit after living here I haven't seen any motorcycle taxi accidents in Bangkok over 9 years.  Which is amazing when you consider the congestion.

Of course Pattaya is a different story, but I never lived there.  Alcohol and motorcycles are a deadly mix.

He was unconscious and was taken to hospital but is believed to have died from his serious injuries.

How do you believe he died from his serious injuries? This isn't even real to have written, mistranslated or whatever. Considering the information that we do have, it's about as absolute as it can get, we know he died due to his injuries. Stop wanting to blame ghosts that messed with him while he was struggling to stay alive. Moron.

The witness told the police that the youth was probably looking at the Line application or even playing Pokémon Go.

Assumptions like that are pretty pointless. The common nominator for it is the phone, what exactly it was becomes moot in this case as the attention has to be on the road, drawing any lines toward a specific app that "stole the attention" is as disingenuous as it gets.

Police said that they would examine the phone to discover what had led to Suphachai's death.

When you are standing in a forest and can't see for the trees...

But well, I'm just another cold hearted zero sympathy bastard in cases like these, thank you evolution and your masterplan of natural selection.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Why would he need to use hazard lights in the daytime?

You guys don't know where a motocy has to drive?? Oh come on....They have to keep lept krab!!! That means the most left lane so that's where the truck parked to go eating.

I've been told many times to keep lept and even had to pay 200 baht bribes when i didn't do it (because it's impossible because of all the taxi's/buses/bahtbuses/minivans....

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Actually, that white line defines the motorbike lane. Totally wrong in my opinion, but motorbike must always keep left.

The solid white line actually defines the "hard shoulder" or emergency stopping area. Motorcyclists wisely use it to avoid conflict with larger vehicles using the nearside lane on highways with more than one lane. However, motorcyclists wishing to live a long and productive life usually watch where they are going and if an obstruction is ahead, they pull over in order to pass.

The victim in this case was otherwise engaged.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

You guys don't know where a motocy has to drive?? Oh come on....They have to keep lept krab!!! That means the most left lane so that's where the truck parked to go eating.

I've been told many times to keep lept and even had to pay 200 baht bribes when i didn't do it (because it's impossible because of all the taxi's/buses/bahtbuses/minivans....

Yes, but you are the sort of good driver that is paying attention to where you are going.

If something is in your way ahead of you, go around it but try not to go through it. The most left lane is not a lane designed for moving vehicles, it serves as a place where vehicles, when necessary can stop.  It is your responsibility as a driver to ensure that the road ahead of you is clear. Anything less is irresponsible on your part. Krap.