What water to use for new aquarium?

Hello,

I have missed having a fish tank, so I recently decided to buy one.  When I was in the states, I could buy filtered water to set up the tank, but I don't know if that is available here.  Those of you who have freshwater tanks, what brand of water did you use to start?  I looked through some of the forums and read that several people were just using tap water.  I am in the Pattaya area and l think the water is somehow treated, so I'm not sure if it would be suitable for fish!  Looking forward to your recommendations.

Thank you,

WaatWang  :)

Use tap water and add the chemical to get rid of chlorine and heavy metals (cheap to buy this in a bottle from the pet shop).

Best not to use rain water... as it is missing many vital minerals and elements needed by the fish and plants... also it can be too acidic due to pollution... tap water will be near to neutral pH.

Once you fill up the tank and add the 'tap safe' stuff, leave it running with the filter going for a few days before you add any fish.

And only add fish gradually... a few every couple of weeks.  If you put too many fish in all at the same time they will die... because there is not yet enough bacteria in the filter to eat their waste so they get poisoned.

Good luck... nice to see if you put some photos of you finished tank on here... I too miss my fish tanks.