"Royal Thai consulate Portland oregon"

Just looked at the new on-line website for the Royal Thai consulate in Portland Oregon.

They now have a notice posted saying that as of 15 August 2016 they will now longer be able to issue METV visas (Multiple Entry Tourist Visas)

They say those wishing the METV should go through Los Angeles or New York for such a visa.

Portland used to be one of the easist places to get an METV, but apparently no longer possible there.

Single entry touridt visas are still aparently possible there, but no METV.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typo
  • Like 1

It includes multiple entry non immigrant visas also.

EFFECTIVE AUGUST 15, 2016, WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ISSUE MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST OR NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR SINGLE ENTRY TOURIST, TRANSIT AND NON-IMMIGRANT O, B OR ED VISAS ONLY.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR MULTIPLE ENTRY VISAS AT THE LOS ANGELES CONSULATE OR THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY IN WASHINGTON, DC.

Source: http://www.thai-or.com/

There was post by a member that was denied a METV at the consulate in Denver and they told him they had just gotten the notice.

It may be they have stopped allowing honorary consulate from doing multiple entry visas. There was a similar announcement made on the consulate in Amsterdam's website posted.

• Like 2

Thanks joe, must have missed that.

Was thinkingabout trying for a METV there in end of September in conjunction with my annual vist back to U.S. to visit brothers and sister in the U.S., but looks like that is no longer possible now.

looks like all the doors are closing on  me.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
typos

I just looked at the Houston Thai Consulate Website- no such notice- but you have to go in person and the turnaround maybe a day or two in Houston. You may want to give them a call.  Portland was the best Thai Consulate I ever used- Not very busy and a super nice staff member handling all details.

It has partially happened in Australia. But only for non immigrant visas.

Visa Processing Update:
Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry 

As of Monday 15 August, The Royal Thai Consulate General Melbourne will no longer issue Non-immigrant Multiple Entry Visas. All Non-immigrant Multiple Entry Visas will now be issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra. For more information on how to apply please visit 

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org

Brisbane consulate.

IMPORTANT- AS OF 15 AUGUST 2016, THERE ARE STRICT REQUIREMENTS REGARDING THE ISSUANCE OF MULTIPLE ENTRY NON -IMMIGRANT VISAS, WHICH WILL ONLY BE ISSUED ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US DIRECT TO DISCUSS ANY SUCH APPLICATION.

If I may ask about a METV, I understand it's good for 60 days.  If you leave the country during that time, when you reenter, how many days are you stamped in for upon return?  Let's say you leave for 7 days.

Do you still only get what's left of the 60 days?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

If I may ask about a METV, I understand it's good for 60 days.  If you leave the country during that time, when you reenter, how many days are you stamped in for upon return?  Let's say you leave for 7 days.

Do you still only get what's left of the 60 days?

Thanks!

Every time you enter you are given permission to stay for a full 60 days.

I just spoke with the Boston honorary consulate and they no longer do METV. I was told this is for all the honorary consulates. I wonder why?  This was a perfect visa for me spending about 6 months in Thailand.  With three weeks left to leave I might just get the single in Boston. Does anyone know if you can mail paperwork and passport to New York City for METV and turnaround time if I sent it overnight and enclose overnight envelope?  I could not find that info on website. This really makes a visa that was not easy to get for some people even more inconvenient.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I just spoke with the Boston honorary consulate and they no longer do METV. I was told this is for all the honorary consulates. I wonder why?  This was a perfect visa for me spending about 6 months in Thailand.  With three weeks left to leave I might just get the single in Boston. Does anyone know if you can mail paperwork and passport to New York City for METV and turnaround time if I sent it overnight and enclose overnight envelope?  I could not find that info on website. This really makes a visa that was not easy to get for some people even more inconvenient.  

The DC website, where I sent in for my 90-day visa yesterday, says 15 days by mail. Though I sent it express mail, and they request a self-addressed express mail for return. $22.95 stamp is required.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

Edited by ocddave

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

According to the post above you can only apply for the METV in LA or DC. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939305-royal-thai-consulate-portland-oregon/?do=findComment&comment=11079474

You should have no problem getting a second SETV from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country to Thailand. And as you have to exit anyway with the METV it's only an extra night needed to get the SETV.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Every time you enter you are given permission to stay for a full 60 days.

How many times can you keep leaving and entering?  Seems like a step up from border runs every thirty days.

I have an American friend that's coming for ten weeks.  If he gets a single entry tourist visa before leaving the U.S., then goes for a few days to Cambodia after about 6 weeks then comes back to Thailand, will he get 30 days which would cover him for the duration of his stay?  

He has a return ticket to the States after the ten week stay.  He's trying to figure out the best way to cover a ten week stay.

36 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

How many times can you keep leaving and entering?  Seems like a step up from border runs every thirty days.

I have an American friend that's coming for ten weeks.  If he gets a single entry tourist visa before leaving the U.S., then goes for a few days to Cambodia after about 6 weeks then comes back to Thailand, will he get 30 days which would cover him for the duration of his stay?  

He has a return ticket to the States after the ten week stay.  He's trying to figure out the best way to cover a ten week stay.

You can only stay a maximum of 60 days (unless you apply for an extension of stay), but you can enter as often as you want until on or before the 'enter before' date printed on the visa.

Your friend will get 60 days (about 8 weeks) when entering with the SETV and towards the end of the 60 days he can apply for a 30 day extension (about 4 weeks) at a local immigration office for 1,900 baht. That would cover his stay.

If wants or needs to go to Cambodia he would be granted permission to stay for 30 days, under the visa exempt scheme, when he re-enters the country by air or land.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

According to the post above you can only apply for the METV in LA or DC. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939305-royal-thai-consulate-portland-oregon/?do=findComment&comment=11079474

You should have no problem getting a second SETV from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country to Thailand. And as you have to exit anyway with the METV it's only an extra night needed to get the SETV.

I was able to speak with someone in NYC. You can go there in person still to get a METV in the morning and pick up again the next day in the afternoon. You can also mail passport and papers to them with a return overnight envelope but she did not recommend this.

I am a little confused about the sentence you wrote above to another poster that at the end read "but you can enter as often as you want until  on or before the 'enter before' date".  If this is regarding a SETV wouldn't you have to pay I believe 1000 baht to keep your original 60 day stamp? And if you left again let's say in less than 30 days you have to pay 1000 baht again? It seems to me that it sounds like a multiple entry single entry visa!? If you could enter as many times up to your use by date ( which I believe is 90 days from application date). I think I'm just misunderstanding that sentence. 

Thanks for all your help

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I was able to speak with someone in NYC. You can go there in person still to get a METV in the morning and pick up again the next day in the afternoon. You can also mail passport and papers to them with a return overnight envelope but she did not recommend this.

Why did she not recommend mailing it? 

She said they often get delayed and lost and ironically three years ago I mailed mine to them and it got there right away but my pre paid overnight came back to me 24 days later. After I went and got an emergency passport because my flight was the day after it got to me. Maybe the Consulate and USPS have some issues because I was very surprised at her frank comment. She even thought the idea of overnight mailing it and then just coming to NYC for a pick up was a better idea than mailing it both ways. 

25 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I am a little confused about the sentence you wrote above to another poster that at the end read "but you can enter as often as you want until  on or before the 'enter before' date".  If this is regarding a SETV wouldn't you have to pay I believe 1000 baht to keep your original 60 day stamp? And if you left again let's say in less than 30 days you have to pay 1000 baht again? It seems to me that it sounds like a multiple entry single entry visa!? If you could enter as many times up to your use by date ( which I believe is 90 days from application date). I think I'm just misunderstanding that sentence. 

Thanks for all your help

That sentence was was relating to a METV. @bubba45 was asking about his METV, which was answered in the first sentence. The remaining two paragraphs in that post were about his friends SETV.

Edited by elviajero

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

She said they often get delayed and lost and ironically three years ago I mailed mine to them and it got there right away but my pre paid overnight came back to me 24 days later. After I went and got an emergency passport because my flight was the day after it got to me. Maybe the Consulate and USPS have some issues because I was very surprised at her frank comment. She even thought the idea of overnight mailing it and then just coming to NYC for a pick up was a better idea than mailing it both ways. 

Oh great! I hope DC handles it better, as I spent $22.95 to send it to them, and $22.95 for the return, it would really suck to see them mess things up. I do however have until late October before I leave, so I got time.

Sorry to read this. For the past 15 years I easily received many triple-entry Thai visas from the Portland Thai consulate, and never had a problem.

This news give me more confidence that my decision to go with the Thai Elite Visa was a smart one.

The Royal Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada is still issuing METVs according to their website.  You can contact them at:

Royal Thai Consulate General in Vancouver

1040 Burrard St,
Vancouver, B.C. V6Z 2R9
Tel. (604) 687-1143
Fax (604) 687-4434
E-mail: [email protected]

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

The Royal Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada is still issuing METVs according to their website.  You can contact them at:

Royal Thai Consulate General in Vancouver

1040 Burrard St,
Vancouver, B.C. V6Z 2R9
Tel. (604) 687-1143
Fax (604) 687-4434
E-mail: [email protected]

The consulate in Vancouver is a official Thai consulate not a honorary consulate.

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

New Orleans is now out.  According to their office no Honorary Consulate is allowed to issue Non-Imm multis or METVs now.  Everything has to go through Washington DC.

The official Thai consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles can still do multiple entry visas.

They may of told you Washington DC since New Orleans is within the embassy's jurisdiction. See: http://thaiembdc.org/visas/

12 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I just looked at the Houston Thai Consulate Website- no such notice- but you have to go in person and the turnaround maybe a day or two in Houston. You may want to give them a call.  Portland was the best Thai Consulate I ever used- Not very busy and a super nice staff member handling all details.

Spot on...used them for 10 years of various visas. Mary Wheeler was always very helpful. So glad I turned 50 a year ago so no more visa rigamarole.

18 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Thanks joe, must have missed that.

Was thinkingabout trying for a METV there in end of September in conjunction with my annual vist back to U.S. to visit brothers and sister in the U.S., but looks like that is no longer possible now.

looks like all the doors are closing on  me.

Why not use the LA Thai Consulate? I deal with them each year via mail and they have always treated me right.

18 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I don't know who this "lady" is but she must be relatively new since I have obtained 4 (four) O-A Multiple Entry Visas from NY and  have used Express Mail overnight service every time and have never had a problem.  Mail on Monday it gets there on Tuesday, they work on it Wednesday, mail it back on Thursday and I get it back on Friday

The Consulate is only two blocks away from one of the major US Post offices in New York City (Franklin Station)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Why not use the LA Thai Consulate? I deal with them each year via mail and they have always treated me right.

They take their full 10 working days (so call it two weeks counting the weekends).  Portland is MUCH faster.

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 7:30 AM, alex8912 said:

I just spoke with the Boston honorary consulate and they no longer do METV. I was told this is for all the honorary consulates. I wonder why? 

Because Honorary Consulates have always been known for an easygoing attitude. The official Thai Embassies are overly  bureaucratic and make it very difficult to get the visa that you want. Back in the day, I used to fly to Perth or Brisbane every year for Western luxuries and a one year visa that could be stretched into 15months. I could never score one of those in SEA.

OMG OMG .I have been waiting to send my METV to Portland, I'm in California.I was going to send it the 30th of August.I have the MO already made out. I made it out last monday. I even made out the app too. I was just waiting for my August  bank statement to become available on  the 29th. I tried calling on Thursday to ask about how many months of bank statements Portland would need she never answered the phone . Even then I didn't know about the notice of No METV's by Portland. I stumbled on the front home page,usually I google the site and come to the Visa Info page thats with all the requirements( there's no notice on that page).When I saw the home page OMG!. Now what do I do. My flight leaves 11:30pm September 7.  I stay up in the North East of Thailand near Lao.Please help with my options. I was originally going to stay and get the maximum stay of the METV and then apply for a SETV in Sawannaket . Looking forward to your advise especially  Ubonjoe's

For someone comong for a 10  week  stay, which is 70 days.
First get a Single Entry Tourist Visa, qhich will get a 60 day permission to stay stamp on entry to Thailand, then in the last 30 days of that 60 day stay, apply for a 30 day extension at immigration which will cost  another 1900 Baht

50 day entry and 30 day extension will equal a 90 day stay, which works fine for more than a 10 week stay (70 days).

No need to leave Thailand during that 10 weeks (unless you want to, of course.)

29 minutes ago, riclag said:

OMG OMG .I have been waiting to send my METV to Portland, I'm in California.I was going to send it the 30th of August.I have the MO already made out. I made it out last monday. I even made out the app too. I was just waiting for my August  bank statement to become available on  the 29th. I tried calling on Thursday to ask about how many months of bank statements Portland would need she never answered the phone . Even then I didn't know about the notice of No METV's by Portland. I stumbled on the front home page,usually I google the site and come to the Visa Info page thats with all the requirements( there's no notice on that page).When I saw the home page OMG!. Now what do I do. My flight leaves 11:30pm September 7.  I stay up in the North East of Thailand near Lao.Please help with my options. I was originally going to stay and get the maximum stay of the METV and then apply for a SETV in Sawannaket . Looking forward to your advise especially  Ubonjoe's

You might have enough time to do a mail in application to one of the consulates in Los Angeles, Chicago or New York dependent upon where you are at in the states.

If not you could still get a single entry tourist visa from Portland.