"Royal Thai consulate Portland oregon"

UJ wrote "You might have enough time to do a mail in application to one of the consulates in Los Angeles, Chicago or New York dependent upon where you are at in the states.

If not you could still get a single entry tourist visa from Portland."

Joe I live 2-1/2 hrs from LA.I'll just drive down.It says on the LA site  " Proof of travel (flight confirmation/reservation with departure and arrival information). Like I said in the OP I was using Portland,ORE for the METV , so with knowing that in the past how they were so user friendly,I never needed  to show departure from Thailand.I always came one way  and stay at a friends house not a hotel. So my ticket is one way. Any suggestions ?

Edited by riclag

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

UJ wrote "You might have enough time to do a mail in application to one of the consulates in Los Angeles, Chicago or New York dependent upon where you are at in the states.

If not you could still get a single entry tourist visa from Portland."

Joe I live 2-1/2 hrs from LA.I'll just drive down.It says on the LA site  " Proof of travel (flight confirmation/reservation with departure and arrival information). Like I said in the OP I was using Portland,ORE for the METV , so with knowing that in the past how they were so user friendly,I never needed  to show departure from Thailand.I always came one way . So my ticket is one way. Any suggestions 

You could buy a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country from any airport in Thailand. Buying it 60 days early you probably can find one that costs about 1000 baht. Check Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur.

I can buy that on line before I go down to LA.submit the Itinerary that Airasia gives me with a departure anytime before the 8th of November that would be 60 days from arrival Sept 9.Correct?

Question 2.I will be staying at a friends house and not hotels. Does this propose a problem?

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

I can buy that on line before I go down to LA.submit the Itinerary that Airasia gives me with a departure anytime before the 8th of November that would be 60 days from arrival Sept 9.Correct?

Question 2.I will be staying at a friends house and not hotels. Does this propose a problem?

Correct about the ticket.

Have your friend write a short note that you are staying with them and email it to you if possible. If Thai a copy of their ID card and house book would be good.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have your friend write a short note that you are staying with them and email it to you if possible. If Thai a copy of their ID card and house book would be good.

A Tabien Baan? Does my friend copy the whole book or is it like the first page .Sorry I never seen one.Does she write the note in Thai or English?

Thanks for being easy on me Joe

Edited by riclag

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

A Tabien Baan? Does my friend copy the whole book or is it like the first page .Sorry I never seen one.Does she write the note in Thai or English?

Thanks for being easy on me Joe

Just page one of the house book that shows the address and the page she is registered on. Note can be in Thai.

For the past two years I had been applying for a multi-entry B visa using the Oregon consulate as it was recommended as being more "friendly" than the LA consulate (and I have to agree with others that Mary Wheeler was top notch in customer service and helpfulness). The only thing I needed other than the application was a letter from my supervisor (at a school in Calif.) stating I was working for them and did not intend to work in Thailand, only live there.

If there is a problem getting a one year B-visa at the LA consulate, is a 6-month METV the only other replacement option--in my situation? I had just signed a condo lease, so I really need a one year, not 6-month visa. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Just a follow up questions, would it be safer to just apply for the METV, as I wouldn't want to apply for the B-visa and have it get declined, than have to pay for the METV???

Edited by geobkk
added question to clearify information needed

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe when I'm at the LA Consulate office  will they ask me if I plan to come back after I leave the first 60 days? I would answer yes to that.Have they been known to ask for proof of subsequent flights in and out.Because I will be coming and going for 6 months(60 day boarder runs).Sorry Joe,my brain is obsessing   .I don't know if this is and old requierment but it said on the LA site"Copy of airline tickets (e-tickets or itinerary showing confirmed flights) - tickets should show multiple entries"

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/uploads/PR 7-Multiple Entry Tourist Visa-METV.pdf

Edited by riclag

19 minutes ago, riclag said:

Joe when I'm at the LA Consulate office  will they ask me if I plan to come back after I leave the first 60 days? I would answer yes to that.Have they been known to ask for proof of subsequent flights in and out.Because I will be coming and going for 6 months(60 day boarder runs).Sorry Joe,my brain is obsessing   .I don't know if this is and old requierment but it said on the LA site"Copy of airline tickets (e-tickets or itinerary showing confirmed flights) - tickets should show multiple entries"

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/uploads/PR 7-Multiple Entry Tourist Visa-METV.pdf

I recall a post in the METV topic that said he did not show but one entry and departure. I suggest you contact them about it.

If one looks at the different links on the LA  web site they can be conflicting.One link says 6 months of bank statements and another link says  a current statement is just needed.One link says  tickets for multi entries another link says  "Roundtrip flight confirmation / reservation at least for the first trip".

I sent my Non-Immigrant "O" Visa request by USPS to Washington DC on 8/23, just got it back today 8/31. I think someone asked how quick via mail, not bad! They originally quoted "15 business days minimum", this was more like 5-6 business days. At least that process is done now :-)

Metv nightmare. I really beat myself up, obsessing over doing everything correctly. For the past five years it’s been TEV’s. Thailand stopped that .For me at this time it’s a single or METV.I chose to do the METV.

I already had set up a one way flight back in March for September 7th.I would be sending off the visa app overnight to Portland, ORE, just like prior years, no sweat. I got my MO on the 15th of August. I made out the App and copied the current Bank Statement. On the 24th I tried to call Portland but she never answered.

My plan was to get close to the 7th as possible, I would send it the 30th, and knowing Mary would send it back to me the next day. I read on here a short while ago that one of the honorary consuls stopped giving METV and they referred back to the Embassy in that country. I think someone said it must have been an isolated thing. I only look on the Portland visa page to reference the info. I never look at the home page except on the 27th OMG! Portland has it on the home page no more METV’s, can only get that at, in my case Los Angeles Consulate..

I quickly get on TV and asked for advice from UbonJoe.”It’s not too late to get a SETV from Portland”. I thought LA was tough with their rigid requirements as opposed to Portland. I tried LA since I only live 2-1/2 hrs away and if I’m denied I’ll surly get a SETV. UJ said to get a cheap ticket out. When I go I stay with my friend .So it was suggested that my friend write a small note, email a copy of her ID and House book (taibian baan).I also made several reservations for the first 2 months on bookings.com just in case they wanted my itinerary for the first 60 days.

So I went with my letter of income, bank statement(over 7k), one way flight to Thailand, proof of onward flight confirmation(AirAsia flight to Malaysia 1100 bht),copy of my passport picture page,passport,2 recent photos(I still had 10 from 1 year ago) and a $200 MO(the original was refunded by the USPS because I made it out to Portland )together with the other documents mentioned above.

The Los Angeles location was near Sunset and Vine, near the Hollywood walk of fame. The building wasn’t on a particularly busy street .The street has parking meters so bring plenty of quarters. I did a lot of googling on (LA Thai consulate and METV.) I learned that it was better to be prepared and to not talk or offer anything .A smile and a good morning was it. When you walk in, you must sign in and leave you DL with the guard, go up to the second floor into the office reception area where theirs 4 windows (information, legal, visa and ID) Go to the Info window. I went to the info window and said I wanted a METV.He asked for my passport, visa app, recent bank statement, and a copy of the picture page of my passport and Air flight.

He quickly looked over everything and said to himself (you only have a one way ticket) Oh wait, I said I have an onward out to Malaysia and I gave him that too. He clipped everything together and said go to the Visa window; there was an American guy that asked for my money order I think he was Bernard. He stamped a few documents and gave me a receipt and I sat down in the reception room.

There wasn’t many people there, probably 10.I sat and talked for an hour to a guy that lives in Udon that was getting his ME non O Visa. It’s about 10:30, he left and I thought to take in a movie at the cinema on Sunset (Ben Hur), they had parking for $3, then I walked around a little, sipping on a coffee and enjoying the nice sunny California day. I went back at 2:15.

I started talking to a guy from the Boston area looking to get a SETV.Then I happen to notice my receipt, there was a stamp that said next business day for a pick up. Bernard didn’t tell me anything .I just assumed same day like it says on the web site, must wait till after 3pm.This stamp is another of the neglected communication of the Thai embassy and consulates. They never bothered to change the stamp to say come back after 3 for same day pick up. Another flaw is they tell you in the frequently asked questions that you must have a round trip, which isn’t true. Its 3:20, somebody went up to the visa window said there name and he gives them their new visa. I’m expecting Bernard to call by name or something, so I followed. I was at the bottom of the stack. He opened up my book and their it was,METV enter before Feb 28,2017.

Edited by riclag