Air Asia credit card details alert

This is just too much of a coincidence!!  After paying for an "add on" on the Official Air Asia website with my credit card and logging off, my credit card was immediately used for fraudulent transactions.  The online transaction with Air Asia was the only purchase that I made using my credit card.   A sum of USD 1 was first put through, probably to test the waters, followed by 6 more transactions until my credit limit was met.

I contacted Air Asia to inform them that their website was probably compromised internally or externally.  Here is their answer:

Thank you for writing to AirAsia,

Pertaining to your feedback below, please allow us to explain to you that AirAsia is committed to maintain high information security standard, your credit card information submitted will be encrypted and stored in a highly secure Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliance environment.

Also, we strictly maintain security standards in customer personal information that we will not use, or disclose customer personal information unless we have customer consent, or are required by law or governmental body under related law.

Despite their strictly maintained security standards, their website had still probably been compromised.  Looks to me like they are wiping their hands of the issue.  Now I sit in Thailand with no credit card as my bank cancelled the card.

Agree. If it were the AirAsia site per se it would be happening to massive numbers of people. I made an AirAsia booking, by CC, yesterday with no problem, as I have done many times in the past. Checked my CC transactions online just to be sure. Nothing.

Some years ago I had the same type of fraud you mention - small charge put through  and then, as I didn't pick up on it right way, regular monthly charges of small amount for a nonexistant gym membership. Never did find out how my details got into the hands of whomever, but there were a lot of other people with the same fraudelent gym mebership charge appearing in their startements as well. . It happens..sometimes companies data gets hacked and it may be one you had a transaction with some time ago. The timing with Air Asia was likely just coincidental.

This would or will make a big wave if AirAsias payment channel is hacked.

I doubt it.

Always start searching bottom up.

Trojan on your device (what is it)?

Keyboard logger?

Redirect to a pishing site?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I also have an Air Asia Bangkok Bank Credit Card and using it only to book my airline ticket online. Everytime I am using it, Iam receiving an instant SMS confirming the amount debited and the remaing balance on my monthly credit.
I also have a standard Visa Bangkok Bank Platinum credit card which I am using more for hotels booking and payments and i am receiving also instant sms for each transaction. Never had any issues so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP never said it was an AirAsia card.

It just happened to me also. I tried to pay with a credit card for a Bkk to Indo flight with AirAsia and it timed out twice. I then used a different card which went through.

I went into my bank 2 days later to cancel the 1st card its not the first time transactions have timed out on it. Only to find out 2 small transactions 1 pound each and a 48 pound transaction had gone through. I told them they were fraudulent they confirmed from a Chinese website.  The 1st card is cancelled and I'm checking the 2nd regularly now.

Having not used the 1st card for ages I believe the fraud extends from the original AirAsia transaction.

For the doubters private computer in the UK.

6 hours ago, Grubster said:

I am hopelessly incompetent on my computer but do use it for flights and hotels, I have a Mac and was told it is very secure even without anti virus protection, any feed back on this would be welcome.

Macs are just as prone to viruses and hacking as PC's nowadays. You need anti-virus protection and a decent firewall. Google is your friend.

I constantly see tourists in internet shops making accommodation and flight bookings. I only use internet shops for the occasional print from a USB. Using credit cards and crucial passwords in an internet shop or on public wifi is begging for trouble.

Very worrying that a large company like Air Asia have CC security issues, although I do suspect it was more likely a local network, infected PC or phishing site issue. These £1 test uses seem to suggest some automatic/bot behaviour.

I had a similar problem after having purchased a Thai Airways domestic ticket 3 years ago. 4 more airline tickets where charged to my cc within days. I have a fairly high credit limit...I did notice though checking my cc activities and had my cc blocked. It was a nightmare with the cardholder company, but got all back in the end.

Thai Airways refused any responsibility.

I use my highly secured home computer, bought 100's items online, strange this fraude was airline ticket related only. Therefore I guess it was an inside IT job, selling stolen cc valid numbers.

thevfraudulent tickets were not purchased online neither, had the stamp of airline offices in Paris, Germany and Brasil.