Why is there better Thai food in San Francisco than in Pattaya?

Jingthing

18 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

99% of thai food made overseas is lacking in authentic taste mainly due to the taste of the ingredients….chicken in thailand tastes much better than in australia or the US/UK…the chicken there is rubbery and artificially pumped up…all mass and bland taste…even the vegetables like baby corn taste different.

The only thai restaurant i have enjoyed overseas is Long Grain in Sydney, which is helmed by a south african chef.

No you're wrong.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, connda said:

There is better food coming out of my wife's kitchen than you'll find in San Fran and you don't have to pay $20 for a bowl of Tom Yum Goon.  And I doubt you are allowed to eat anything like 'Red ant egg salad.'  I'm sure there are a stack of regulations and health codes between you and an authentic Thai meal. 

And the little baby chickens!

I'm an American chef, well traveled in Thailand. Most of the reasons Thai food sucks abroad is that these mom and pop places popup because they think Auntie and Uncle can cook thai food......but they can.

The most comments I ask in the US are----> asking the Thai restaurant manager why is it like this........response: because the regular guest request it like this...so they think every farang is the same so they don't change.

That has happened quite a few times AT FIRST.

BUT IF YOU CAN SPEAK SOME THAI......they will get the picture,,,,because they are not eating the same crap they serve to the farangs.

And another note.....I've seen countless farangs eating Thai food with chopsticks...sooo clamped up to 3" from the front of the stix. LOL..trying to eat rice..........AND......"do you have soy sauce for my rice"?  LOL

Edited by Americano555

I dont know about SF,never having been there,and when i was living in the states,Georgia and South Dakota wasnt really cooking Thai food in those days(80"S).But i have to say that some of the Pattaya restaurants have never really impressed me.Ive been here 16 years and i think that the Bangkok Food greatly outweighs Pattya food anyday.But there is a little place on the darkside that does a fantastic Baa mee guy.The chicken is always the best, freshest ,breast  meat and its cheap at 40 baht for a big bowl.And,served with a smile.The lady whose place it is, a great cook,and i go there when ever we are i town.My Thai wife wont eat it anywhere else.

She also does a fab pork chop and chips with a home made mushroom sauce.best with a little of the nam som that she makes herself.

Bon Appetite.

1 hour ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

i guess your tastes buds are just too sophisticated for the rest of us ( im presuming youve tasted the food there ) and your way too cerebral as you say we dont understand what your trying to say

and as far as relying on yelpers  well you can watch the link (beware for open minded people only )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlR_ccnZww&sns=em

Yeah. I saw that already. It's very funny! Online restaurant commentators can be very annoying to restaurant owners!

1 hour ago, akentryan said:

But do they serve chicken feet in SF? Or the whole frog chopped up?

Chicken feet and frogs in S.F.? Yes, but usually on the Chinese language menu.  Chinese food has a lot to do with texture. When Chinese restaurants tell westerners they won't like a dish, quite often but certainly not always, they're right!

Just happened to have one of those outdoor food court grilled salted crust large FISH sets tonight. OK, it was excellent at 180 baht. While it's a standard thing here, it's a VERY GOOD standard thing. Also, yes the plate of raw vegetables was filthy, as expected. Thinking of this thread, wondering what they would charge for the same thing at a San Fransisco Thai restaurant recreating the Thai street grilled salt crusted fish authentic experience. Probably 2000 baht. Probably 1000 baht extra if you ordered the raw vegetables "Thai style" -- in other words FILTHY.

So not saying it's all bad news here!

Edited by Jingthing

Another way to phrase JT's question is to ask, "why do I enjoy some innovative US West Coast Thai food better than the traditional Thai food on offer in Pattaya?"

OR

Why do hi-so bangkokians expect/accept such an ordinary quality as is offered in Pattaya? And for all I know, there may be some good Thai restaurants catering to Thais.

(Granted, CM is MUCH finer dining.)

But an interesting topic, JT.

Just now, avidflyer said:

Another way to phrase JT's question is to ask, "why do I enjoy some innovative US West Coast Thai food better than the traditional Thai food on offer in Pattaya?"

OR

Why do hi-so bangkokians expect/accept such an ordinary quality as is offered in Pattaya? And for all I know, there may be some good Thai restaurants catering to Thais.

(Granted, CM is MUCH finer dining.)

But an interesting topic, JT.

Without splitting hairs in a response, I will say HERE and NOW is a good place to post those possible BETTER (not necessarily meaning expensive) Thai food places in Pattaya. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I dont know about SF,never having been there,and when i was living in the states,Georgia and South Dakota wasnt really cooking Thai food in those days(80"S).But i have to say that some of the Pattaya restaurants have never really impressed me.Ive been here 16 years and i think that the Bangkok Food greatly outweighs Pattya food anyday.But there is a little place on the darkside that does a fantastic Baa mee guy.The chicken is always the best, freshest ,breast  meat and its cheap at 40 baht for a big bowl.And,served with a smile.The lady whose place it is, a great cook,and i go there when ever we are i town.My Thai wife wont eat it anywhere else.

She also does a fab pork chop and chips with a home made mushroom sauce.best with a little of the nam som that she makes herself.

Bon Appetite.

What is meant by 'Thai food'? Surely it is not a national cuisine but a regional cuisine. Issan food, Central Thai, Royal Thai, Southern Thai all make upThai food.  Many people who eat everyday won't be requiring Michelin standard food. But the OP's question has some legs. It also applies to Indian food in India and Chinese food in China.  But if anybody has insight into good Thai restaurants in Pattaya then please submit suggestions to this thread.

22 hours ago, lou62 said:

After visiting a couple of Thai restaurants in London my Thai missus said she didn't want to go to another.

Bland food, done for locals and yes, very decorative and expensive. 

Exactly what else were you expecting 

11 hours ago, anotheruser said:

What a little gem of a thread this is turning out to be. How long before he taps out and asks for this to be closed because we are all too stupid to understand the original premise of the thread?

yes, we never get the concept of the ....zzzzz....  5555 

The Thai restaurant - Flare - at the Hilton, although pricey is very good. Nice presentation, food is outstanding if you insist on Thai style, great atmosphere and outstanding service. Now it doesn't have to be expensive to be good...there are some gems out there for those who care to look.

On 25/08/2016 at 0:15 AM, lou62 said:

After visiting a couple of Thai restaurants in London my Thai missus said she didn't want to go to another.

Bland food, done for locals and yes, very decorative and expensive. 

My experience was similar, we ended up in Chinese places which were cheaper, easier to find and just asked for the chilli sauce they kept hidden away for themselves.

My Thai food here taste pretty good without the addition of a lot of decoration, although some comments that 5 star hotels present reasonably priced Thai food surprises me. It is all relative, but many small places around that cook really well.

I have eaten delicious Thai food in Bangkok and at a resort in Krabi .  I have never been to Pattaya , much must depend on the restaurant you eat in .

Very often poor ingredients and the inability to properly cook them will render a potentially good dish unpalatable .

My Thai wife and I have stayed in San Francisco , where my son lives , we would agree that Thai food in SF is excellent .

There are many fantastic Thai restaurants in Bangkok.  Few if any here in Pattaya.  I met a guy who owns a restaurant.  His take is people here want food at the cheapest price.  Not the case in Bangkok.

I use to live in New York City, and Vegas.  Never ate at a Thai restaurant there that compared to the ones I've visited in Bangkok.  We're in restaurant purgatory here in Pattaya.

17 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Bon Appetite.

Want to share, name and location of this great place on the Darkside?

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

There are many fantastic Thai restaurants in Bangkok.  Few if any here in Pattaya.  I met a guy who owns a restaurant.  His take is people here want food at the cheapest price.  Not the case in Bangkok.

I use to live in New York City, and Vegas.  Never ate at a Thai restaurant there that compared to the ones I've visited in Bangkok.  We're in restaurant purgatory here in Pattaya.

Well, yes, I think things are a bit bleak for people in Pattaya seeking Thai food with that certain something more special and less predictable (not necessarily high expense), I also think in general Pattaya is an interesting enough (but obviously not great or world class) food city. Mainly due to the international variety of at least serviceable versions of many national cuisines, with some much stronger than others. Often at very friendly prices. But back to Thai food, there is likely some truth that Pattaya is more of a low budget draw than Bangkok, but some of the exceptional Thai food places I've loved in Bangkok aren't really that pricey, so I don't think that's the only reason. For example that amazing South Thailand place which does probably likely depend on a lot of South Thailand people in Bangkok for their core customer base can offer a very memorable meal well under 500 baht. I don't think it's only the cheap Thai places that aren't going the extra mile in Pattaya, I think neither are the expensive places.  That's why overall I think the Thai chefs here are on the lazy side. There doesn't seem to be any INCENTIVE to up their game, so why bother? 

Of course, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't work very very hard in hot kitchens to produce the boring predictable Thai food that is mostly sold here ... just that something extra is missing, the something extra that creates a truly memorable eating experience. 

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, yes, I think things are a bit bleak for people in Pattaya seeking Thai food with that certain something more special and less predictable (not necessarily high expense), I also think in general Pattaya is an interesting enough (but obviously not great or world class) food city. Mainly due to the international variety of at least serviceable versions of many national cuisines, with some much stronger than others. Often at very friendly prices. But back to Thai food, there is likely some truth that Pattaya is more of a low budget draw than Bangkok, but some of the exceptional Thai food places I've loved in Bangkok aren't really that pricey, so I don't think that's the only reason. For example that amazing South Thailand place which does probably likely depend on a lot of South Thailand people in Bangkok for their core customer base can offer a very memorable meal well under 500 baht. I don't think it's only the cheap Thai places that aren't going the extra mile in Pattaya, I think neither are the expensive places.  That's why overall I think the Thai chefs here are on the lazy side. There doesn't seem to be any INCENTIVE to up their game, so why bother? 

Of course, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't work very very hard in hot kitchens to produce the boring predictable Thai food that is mostly sold here ... just that something extra is missing, the something extra that creates a truly memorable eating experience. 

Are you talking about the Southern Thai place in Thong Lor?  What a fantastic restaurant.  We eat there often.  Lovely environment also.  But I don't think prices a bit under 500B are cheap.  I don't think a Thai place that like would survive here in Pattaya.  Plus, the Thais that do come on the weekend mainly want to party down and eat cheap food on the beach! :lol::wai2: