Why is there better Thai food in San Francisco than in Pattaya?

Jingthing

2 hours ago, Michael8511 said:

I don't know but I always get better and more authentic Thai food here, I'm used to eesan home cooking when it comes to taste and a lot of restaurants here like in us and Europe cater to western taste if you don't tell them. Every time we go out and eat my partner orders and the waitstaff are always surprised that I eat his food. So yes they don't make food for westerner ghost spicy. Also at the beach we eat papaya salad with the crab but if I would go and order and the lady don't recognize me she make it western style. When it comes to presentation I think there is nothing to complain off if you don't eat off the street wendors. I personally like the food at the pine or surf kitchen but there also if they don't know you like spicy food they will prepare it western style as in most other restaurants. "Jingthing" I read most of your posts and 90 % of them have always something negative to bring up. You been here many years so you should be able to find a place that serv you Thai food of your liking. Or you just bored and like to steer the pot.

We're from different planets is you actually believe Surf Kitchen has excellent Thai food. Wow! I actually haven't tried Pine but based on your admitted taste, I won't bother. 

I can't imagine a Bangkok Thai who has experienced some of the amazing Thai places there thinking Surf kitchen was anything but a middle level safe and boring tourist magnet.

Nothing wrong with that, the prices are OK, and the view is pleasant. I've eaten there many times and thought OK but boring. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Went with a couple of Thai to a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant near Geneva once. 

After 2 days without Thai food, they were dying for some "decent" stuff.

OK, the place was an up-scale "Imbiss", the food was found terrible; cooked with Thai ingredients but according to Western taste or in other words: no taste at all. 

Comparing Thai restaurants in Thailand (even upscale) with Thai restaurants in the rest of the World is like comparing apples and eggs. 

You've never lived in San Francisco then. Even years ago before I moved to Thailand there were a number of places with authentic Thai taste serving many Thai people that were better than the Thai restaurants in Pattaya. Maybe San Francisco doesn't qualify as the west as in so many ways it's an Asian city. 

Obviously no Thai restaurant outside of Thailand is going to literally give you the experience of eating Thai food IN Thailand, but I'm talking about the flavor experience, which face it, CAN be really excellent anywhere if you can get the ingredients (easy in S.F.) and you've got the cooks and the market for the food. 

Edited by Jingthing

The GDP of SF and NYC are the same as many medium sized countries and many mid range employees make more money than African dictators.  There is more money spent on food in SF and more money spent on heterosexual sex in Pattaya.  SF has a worldwide reputation for gay sex and good food (any nationality).  We all know what Pattaya has a reputation for.  This is not rocket science.  The best restaurants are in the places where they can make the most money.  

9 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Editing problem. Referring to Pdaz's comment about Bangkok Thais not being impressed with the Thai food in Pattaya compared to the more interesting places in Bangkok -- 

You got it.

The Bangkok Thais are not impressed with the Thai food here and either am I.

I have been impressed with some of the Thai food in Bangkok and also, believe it or not, at some places in the U.S. much more than any Thai food I've ever had in PATTAYA. 

Again, WHY doesn't the better level of Thai food that exists in Bangkok exist here?

Could it simply be because it doesn't HAVE to?
The competition in the local market isn't strong enough to push that?

It's a beach resort city with a captive market.

Foreigners are going to eat a lot of Thai food regardless of the level and price and of course as we all know high prices does not always correlate with excellent flavor.

Thai people -- locals here demographically are not as sophisticated as Bangkokians, not even close, so there is need to serve them either.

If you can make big baht being safe and lazy ... why not?

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

In that case.

Should we have a topic about  San Francisco USA  on the Thailand pataya forum  ? :wai2:

Please read the actual posts and then you might understand what it's about.

It IS about Thai food in Pattaya and how it doesn't measure up to the most excellent places doing it.

Such as a number of places in Bangkok and arguably some places in cities like San Francisco as well.

But the CORE here is about the lack of these amazing places right here in Pattaya.

That said, IF you do manage to digest what this thread is actually about and you still think it doesn't fit on this forum, you're welcome to use the REPORT button to complain.

Edited by Jingthing

The title is an invitation to read the OP. It seems that you and some others are just too lazy to do that and instead just post a reply that has nothing to do with the topic. That is on you. Again, do you get it now what the topic is about? If so, we're good.  

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

The title is an invitation to read the OP. It seems that you and some others are just too lazy to do that and instead just post a reply that has nothing to do with the topic. That is on you. Again, do you get it now what the topic is about? If so, we're good.  

What ever man, get on with it.

Wont post on your over the top food threads anymore. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

2 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Sorry,  yes i have now read the title of the thread

its all very clear to me,

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Great.

But that's not the topic here. 

JT

Seems to me that you are the only person who understands your topic thoroughly,pitty us poor mortals who are just trying to make a small contribution.

Perhaps if you answered your own questions and give us the benefit of your knowledge in this riveting  subject we could learn so much..:thumbsup:

Wrong. 
I am not the only one. 

I already replied to a poster who DID get it., so if you're still confused, you can actually read the thread and learn about it.

If you STILL don't get it, fine, but if you want to make it about something it's not, please start your OWN topic instead of polluting this one with totally off topic responses, or bickering.

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

What ever man, get on with it.

Wont post on your over the top food threads anymore. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This isn't a topic for people that don't care about good food. I think perhaps a lot of people have not even experienced truly incredible Thai food, such as you can get in Bangkok. so they have no reference point about this topic, which is basically asserting that PATTAYA is sorely LACKING in that department. 

For example, people that think Surf Kitchen in Jomtien is offers an incredible Thai food experience  will  be very happy with the Thai food on offer in Pattaya.  There's nothing wrong with that per se. But once you've had incredible stuff and you appreciate it, then you can never think that level is anything but middlebrow and boring. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Whatever, dude.

You get my point now, don't you dude?

Have you ever heard of the expression "Flogging a dead horse"?
You are just banging on and on, repeating the same things. The only person not 'getting it' here, is you.
Do you really think that no one understood what you meant in the first place?
Did you imagine that you were a cut above?  The bon viveur of the forum?
I spent a bit of time in San Francisco and didn't eat anything that knocked me off my feet. There is a lot of hype and that's about it.
Pattaya is not a foodie town. But every now and again, someone has a go and often fails through either poor marketing or there simply not being the clientele to support it.

You already done this one to death. Having real friends might put an end to these endless threads about nothing.

At least when you actually went out and found new places, there was some purpose. But now it's just a bit sad.

i think you set yourself up for criticism with your original post.

you asked 5 questions:

#1 Do you know even one Thai restaurant in Pattaya that does Thai food that looks as amazing?

perhaps original thai food just needs to taste good and not look like a work of art

#2 What's up with that?  a question like this really leaves you open to all sorts of interpretation. a lot of the posts you so heavily questioned could have been avoided by omitting this question.

#3 We're in Thailand, right? yes, we are.

#4 No demand? demand for what. arty looking food or stuff that tastes good. look at the chemistry set s..t that heston produces - who needs that (other than him to charge his out of this world prices for complete crap!)

#5 Thai restaurant chefs lazy and don't bother to be creative? no, thai restaurant chefs cook thai food, not some arty - farty interpretation to suit overpaid foodies.

just stop watching 'masterchef' for a while and come out here to my world to taste some authentic and true and great thai food.

p.s.: michelin makes tyres, not food. and most of their tyre factories are now based in thailand.

cheers

mft

15 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Jingthing

Maybe presumptuous, but I have always thought from your posts that you are always hunting for other types of cuisine, rather than Thai ?

I eat plenty of Thai food as we're in Thailand and I like Thai food.

I like any kind of GOOD food.

Mexican food is one of my favorite types but I don't eat Mexican here at all. It's just too crappy. Waste of money.

I also love variety and Pattaya is pretty good for that, offering lots of variety, for the most part not at world class levels, but it's still fun to eat here.

Such as Iranian and Indian. Not the best I've eaten of those either ... but as we're in THAILAND you would think in a city this size, finding memorably THAI food wouldn't be that hard?

Overall, I'm not super impressed with the Thai food on offer here compared to some of the excellent places I've tried in Bangkok.

Here's another example of the type of really good Thai food on offer in Bangkok, but NOT here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d10059098-Reviews-Khua_Kling_Pak_Sod_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

At their price level and quality of experience, IF it was here I would be a regular. In Bangkok there are LOTS of places at that level. Here. Not seeing them. 

Edited by Jingthing

why is there better Thai food in San Francisco than in Pattaya?- I don't think there is, that's my opinion- you have yours and I think you are totally wrong!!! just like your telling everybody else that they are wrong or don't get it, especially if they don't agree with your thoughts, opinions or views.  :coffee1:  and before you respond with "don't post', don't bother, I won't be again on this thread....it's an irrelevant thread if people are not allowed to respond without being put down or snobbishly ridiculed its a waste of time anyway.

Tell me where to eat in PATTAYA where the THAI food will be as memorable and remarkable as some of the better Thai food places in Bangkok.

That small Thai place with the big windows and chalkboard menu (that never changed) that used to be in Big C (now in renovation) that moved to who knows where on the dark side was PRETTY good. Not at the level I'm talking about, but pretty good for Pattaya.

That level and better please.

I'm waiting. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, TaaSaparot said:

I don't disagree with you Jingthing, I think Pattaya (especially Central Pattaya) is quite poor for good Thai Food.

But what you are looking for is there, it just needs a bit more legwork IMO.

Great. 

Help a brother out then.

I'll believe it when I taste it. 

Edited by Jingthing

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Please focus on the PATTAYA issue. OK?

please focus on being less arrogant JT, OK?  :bah: for starters on nonsensical questions pertaining to Michelin star restaurants in Pattaya. 

Just now, Naam said:

please focus on being less arrogant JT, OK?  :bah: for starters on nonsensical questions pertaining to Michelin star restaurants in Pattaya. 

Sure thing dude.

The point was we're in Thailand, here in Pattaya, or so the map says, and yet this really is NOT a great area for world class THAI food. 

That's weird to me.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Tell me where to eat in PATTAYA where the THAI food will be as memorable and remarkable as some of the better Thai food places in Bangkok.

I'm waiting. 

Tin Cup 5* Michelin restaurant (as voted by ex-pats and refugees from many countries) soi Buakhow,opposite Sugar Sugar go go bar.

Speciality of the house is everything on the menu :thumbsup:

Just now, petermik said:

Tin Cup 5* Michelin restaurant (as voted by ex-pats and refugees from many countries) soi Buakhow,opposite Sugar Sugar go go bar.

That's pretty funny and as you know the food is BASIC and that's putting it very generously. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I'm waiting. 

Seriously dude....you need to stop. You are just looking like a petulant child. Some might say acting like a prima donna. Certainly not a primo uomo.

Stop, for your own sake. It's just getting a bit pathetic.

Go to talk to Ek. He might add some of your suggestions to the menu if he thinks they will work.

Pattaya is not Bangkok. Get used to it. If you can't, try moving to Bangkok or San Francisco.

Beluga caviar tastes on a tuna fish budget...

Do people who come to Pattaya (punters on Thai Visa) like Thai food?  The overwhelming answer is no.  They think Thai food is no good and would rather eat faggots, haggis and mushy peas.  So, no market.  The high class guys who like Thai food go to Bangkok so there is high class Thai food in Bangkok.  

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That's pretty funny and as you know the food is BASIC and that's putting it very generously. 

All a matter of taste JT.......all a matter of taste :D

no matter what we put in at the top end it comes out of the other as :wub: well..............you know what

have a nice day :thumbsup: