Help Required To Make Xp Genuine

bdenner

We have a PC using a pirated copy (typical Thai IT purchase) of Xp and do not want to rebuild it with a new OS. I believe we can buy a ‘key’ or license online that will make the current OS ‘Genuine Windows’, but after many hours searching the ‘Windows’ and other web sites I cannot put it together. Brain dead!

Is just applying a legal key the right way to do this?

How/where do we buy the key? - Link

How is it installed?

Thank you.

We have a PC using a pirated copy (typical Thai IT purchase) of Xp and do not want to rebuild it with a new OS. I believe we can buy a ‘key’ or license online that will make the current OS ‘Genuine Windows’, but after many hours searching the ‘Windows’ and other web sites I cannot put it together. Brain dead!

Is just applying a legal key the right way to do this?

How/where do we buy the key? - Link

How is it installed?

Thank you.

You can go to the website and try downloading Windows Defender. MS will do a genuine advantage check to authenticate your XP installation. If you fail the check, which a pirated copy should, it will give you a link to buy a licence key online.

These can be more expensive than buying a legit copy sometimes though. You may be better off buying a new authentic windows cd.

In Penang I noticed an official looking copy of Windows XP Pro

labelled as "for use in Asia only".

I do not think it was a pirate version.

I forgot to check the price. I will when I get back there next week.

I upgraded from a 'hookey' version of WinXP to a genuine copy with no problems. All software, data and emails were left in place.

Obviously if you decide to upgrade over your current copy back up everything first, just in case.

Bought the 2006 genuine version for 3000 baht in Seri Center.

labelled as "for use in Asia only".

I do not think it was a pirate version.

MS released a series of low-cost XP for sale in some asian markets. They aren't quite full XP though, some parts are missing from the regular Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...terPilotPR.mspx

There was also a release of full XP, not starter, which was labeled as Asian Market Only. These were/are effectively OEM versions and are the ones often sold in the IT malls in KL. E.g. XP Pro SP2 430 MYR {approx 4300 THB} Allowing for the usual caveats, they are likely to be legitimate.

Regards

If you fail the check, which a pirated copy should, it will give you a link to buy a licence key online.

These can be more expensive than buying a legit copy sometimes though. You may be better off buying a new authentic windows cd.

I would recommend that too.

I have a Thailand-purchased desktop PC operating a copy of XP: What are the advantages of going legit?

Also, I have a laptop with genuine XP but it did not come with an XP disc, but has a serial number on the underside. Is that any use for my desktop?

Can bad things happen to PC's with non-legit XP as O.S. ?

I have a Thailand-purchased desktop PC operating a copy of XP: What are the advantages of going legit?

Also, I have a laptop with genuine XP but it did not come with an XP disc, but has a serial number on the underside. Is that any use for my desktop?

You cannot get anything but critical updates for non-authentic software, no additional security software like Windows Defender will run without passing the genuine advantage test either.

I had the XP disk for our laptop get broken and the fix was buying a cheap oem copy of the same XP release (sp2) and using the licence from the sticker. So long as you don't try to use an XP Home licence on an XP Pro install it should be fine.

You cannot get anything but critical updates for non-authentic software, no additional security software like Windows Defender will run without passing the genuine advantage test either.

I had the XP disk for our laptop get broken and the fix was buying a cheap oem copy of the same XP release (sp2) and using the licence from the sticker. So long as you don't try to use an XP Home licence on an XP Pro install it should be fine.

Thanks for the info cdnvic.

My laptop was bought without SP2 (which I added myself). So now I must find a CD of XP without SP2 then use the serial number on laptop: correct?

Is the whole thing easy to do, after I back everything up?

Thanks for the info cdnvic.

My laptop was bought without SP2 (which I added myself). So now I must find a CD of XP without SP2 then use the serial number on laptop: correct?

Is the whole thing easy to do, after I back everything up?

Having sp2 on the disk should be fine so long as the version of XP (home or Pro) is the same. In fact without sp2 installed, MS will try to push sp2 to you on the next update which is a huge download so I'd advise an xp disk with sp2.