Thai Bank Credit Card

Mahseer

For some reason I got the idea that farangs are not eligible for credit cards here in Thailand but after getting p*ssed off at Homepro while trying to charge my UK card (UK bank issue not HP) I decided to apply at Siam Commercial where I have held a USD and baht account for less than a year and was processed in not much more 20 minutes and now hold a SCB credit card. There are rules to meet (such as depositing funds equal to twice the required card limit) but SCB will pay 4% on this so no big deal. Card charge is 3% and gold card available for 2500 baht/year, platinum 5k.

Am I the only one with head aiming towards the rear regarding Thai bank credit cards?

For some reason I got the idea that farangs are not eligible for credit cards here in Thailand but after getting p*ssed off at Homepro while trying to charge my UK card (UK bank issue not HP) I decided to apply at Siam Commercial where I have held a USD and baht account for less than a year and was processed in not much more 20 minutes and now hold a SCB credit card. There are rules to meet (such as depositing funds equal to twice the required card limit) but SCB will pay 4% on this so no big deal. Card charge is 3% and gold card available for 2500 baht/year, platinum 5k.

Am I the only one with head aiming towards the rear regarding Thai bank credit cards?

Well u r not alone buddy. Few days back I was in the bank and one Vietnamese girl was asking about Credit Card and then one of the more sensible bank official came and said that if u deposit at least THB40,000 then the bank will offer a credit card with 80% limit with no annual charges etc. The bank was Krungsri Ayudhya. So I immediately deposited the money and will get a card soon. I have been in Bangkok for about 2 years and none of the bank guys ever told me this fact, otherwise I might have got one much earlier.

Seems like Thai IQ is going down n down everyday and none of the bank officials are any exceptions and they dont want to attract any new clients. But finally I got it.

:o

I do not believe having the funds in a bank account fits the definition of "credit card". Sounds more like a secured or debit card to me. I would would check the fine print very carefully for customer protection as it is not likely to be up to what you may be accustomed to in regards to fraudulent use and such. I have not checked in some time; but they used to be rather risky.

Yes I agree with you Lopburi3.

Originally I applied for a debit card as I have never held a credit card in my life but was told they are not available in Thailand (with SCB) but repayment terms are very much in line with debit card which suits me fine. For the record the funds deposited are not to pay off any charges incurred, just more of a guarantee for the bank for which they will pay the 4% mentioned.

Ajarn, I have had problems twice in the last 6 months with my UK visa debit card and on both occasions couldn't get hold of the UK bank at the time to resolve so have had to walk away empty handed so elected to go local. I bank with Lloyds in Jersey and they certainly are overly protective despite the fact they are aware of where I live and assume most of my charges.

So, what is the problem with using the 'international' Visa Debit Card? No hassle to get or to use, in my experience. I use it more than my credit card from AMEX or my MasterCharge...

You cannot book hotels or cards or purchase online with a debit card....that's what is my poblem with them, you would still need a creditcard....

J

So, what is the problem with using the 'international' Visa Debit Card? No hassle to get or to use, in my experience. I use it more than my credit card from AMEX or my MasterCharge...

You cannot book hotels or cards or purchase online with a debit card....that's what is my poblem with them, you would still need a creditcard....

J

Not true for debit cards, mine anyway. I buy many things online, and have never had a problem with using a debit card.

J

Not true for debit cards, mine anyway. I buy many things online, and have never had a problem with using a debit card.

Correct in some cases it works but only locally, but how about cars and hotels??

J

J

Correct in some cases it works but only locally, but how about cars and hotels??

J

Everything, but never tried cars, also not just locally, but in the US, too.

J

J

Debit cards can be used locally for cars, hotels and shopping. The cards are not all the same in terms of acceptance, some issuing banks have restrictions about overseas transactions, and the merchants in Asia sometimes refuse them but not often in my experience.

J

J

Debit cards can be used locally for cars, hotels and shopping. The cards are not all the same in terms of acceptance, some issuing banks have restrictions about overseas transactions, and the merchants in Asia sometimes refuse them but not often in my experience.

Not just locally.

I do not believe having the funds in a bank account fits the definition of "credit card". Sounds more like a secured or debit card to me. I would would check the fine print very carefully for customer protection as it is not likely to be up to what you may be accustomed to in regards to fraudulent use and such. I have not checked in some time; but they used to be rather risky.

I have an ATM card with my Bank, I can transfer money via the ATM Machine..

I have never liked Credit Cards, So this one suits me fine..

Never tried using it at a Supermarket etc, anyone know if you can ??

And there is no annual fee..

If you want to book a Domestic flight by the Internet you need a local credit card (at least for NOK). neither a debit card nor a international credit card is accepted. This is why I have my local credit card from bangok banc, which was no problem to get it.

If you want to book a Domestic flight by the Internet you need a local credit card (at least for NOK). neither a debit card nor a international credit card is accepted. This is why I have my local credit card from bangok banc, which was no problem to get it.

I use my UK debit cards for airlines, usually Air-Asia, hotels around the region (online), etc.

However most of the large car hire firms like Hertz and Budget will not tale a debit card,

only a credit card. Their web sites also state this.

Naka.

I was talking about making a reservation for car and hotel, not paying the bill

You can use debitcard for all kind of payments upto 200K thb

But online reservations is not possible neither are international payments

In my expereince that is

J

Not so for all domestic airlines. For four years I have made regular purchases online with my USA credit card from a USA bank. Airlines flown: AirAsia, Thai Airways, and Bangkok Air. Domestic routes.

I had the same experience with NOK air they don't accept International credit cards except credit cards issued by local banks, its such a nuisance sometimes when need to fly urgently. I think I should go and apply for a local credit card.

With NOK Air you can book your ticket by phone and make the payment either by ATM transfer or pay at any 7Eleven store using "Counter Service" Click here and select "call center" from menu

NOK is the only airline I've had the problem with. PremR has the correct solution but it's still easier to just pay while you're sitting in front of the computer making the reservation. that can only be done with a Thai credit card.

As for the difference between credit and debit cards, the major problem with debit cards is that if a problem comes up with your purchase you can dispute it more easily with your credit card. if you made the purchase via a debit card, it's treated similarly to a check and you won't get any help from the bank.

Now that I know it' so easy I'll be going in to get to get my Thai credit card immediately.

With NOK Air you can book your ticket by phone and make the payment either by ATM transfer or pay at any 7Eleven store using "Counter Service" Click here and select "call center" from menu

NOK is the only airline I've had the problem with. PremR has the correct solution but it's still easier to just pay while you're sitting in front of the computer making the reservation. that can only be done with a Thai credit card.

As for the difference between credit and debit cards, the major problem with debit cards is that if a problem comes up with your purchase you can dispute it more easily with your credit card. if you made the purchase via a debit card, it's treated similarly to a check and you won't get any help from the bank.

Now that I know it' so easy I'll be going in to get to get my Thai credit card immediately.

i have local visa electron that i use. works on some internet purchases. but have used it in other countries without a problem. need credit card for my flight tickets so get the missus to get me a supplementary card. i got rejected once by UOB and never applied with another bank. SCB have approached me to apply with them. no restrictions as long as got any bank account with some activity, valid visa and work permit.

i think i'll stick with the supplementary card which my missus so kindly got for me. convenient and interest free purchases for 40 days or so.

It makes no real difference whether you use a debit card (money coming directly from your account) or a credit card (accumulated charges that are paid for in full or in part at the end of the billing period) If the card is branded as a Visa or Mastercard it is still protected by them. The difference is that you how you have to deal with them if there is a dispute. For many branded cards which are issued by non financial institutions such as clubs and stores the club is responsible for the managing of customer complaints and disputes not Visa or Mastercharge. This is usually where the problems arise.

The other thing you may find with getting a local Credit Card is the type of visa (sorry pun not intended) you have. It can't be a tourist or transit stamp, but then again in theory you can't open a bank acount or even buy a motorcycle if you have a transit stamp or are on a tourist visa. These things are restricted to NON Imm type visas.

Nok will accept international credit cards over the phone if you fax a copy of the card, front and back, to them along with your passport info page, to be kept on file .