One Dead as Minivan Hits Bike on Sukhumvit Road

webfact

One Dead as Minivan Hits Bike on Sukhumvit Road

pat1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 1am, on the morning of August 26, the police and Sawang Boriboon medics attended the scene of an accident outside Rada Villa, on the Sukhumvit Road heading towards Sattahip.

There has been one fatality, thirty-six year old Mr Somchoke Tungpila, who was riding a red Honda MSX motorcycle that smashed into a minivan.

The van’s driver, thirty-three-year old Mr Anan Promaew, who was working the Bowin to Sattahip route for a steel factory, said that he was making a u-turn in the road when the motorcycle came out of nowhere.

He said he sounded the horn but could not brake in time to avoid a collision.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/230819/one-dead-minivan-hits-bike-sukhumvit-road/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-26

2 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Yes, Mr Anan, and I suppose you weren't speeding either?

He was making a U-turn so he was hardly speeding..... 

My guess is that the bike rider did not pay attention , and was speeding. Maybe even using his phone at the same time. But only speculations of course. 

Edited by balo

2 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Yes, Mr Anan, and I suppose you weren't speeding either?

...............said that he was making a u-turn in the road when the motorcycle came out of nowhere.

Your suggesting that the minibus driver was performing a high=speed U turn?

It is such a shame that these accidents are happening hundreds of times a day. 
The poor training and testing of road users is the biggest issue. In the countries with the lowest accidents rates people are required to display far higher skills in order to be allowed a licence. By comparison Thailand does not require any  on road "real world" demonstration of skills in order to get a driving licence. 
In the absence of this real world interactive training, people revert to the rules they learned as pedestrians. 
As a motorcycle Instructor, I have a different view of this, yes the van driver was in the wrong. But with the thousands of accidents that are caused in this manner all over Thailand, it should not be a surprise that a mini van would act in this manner. "It takes two to tangle". With better defensive rider and driver training, many of these right of way errors could be easily avoided. 

RIP to the rider. 

4 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

Cant understand how a motorbike can impact a vehicle doing a "U" turn at the front of the vehicle. unless of course the motorbike was travelling against the correct flow of traffic.  

...a vehicle making a u-turn would more likely be the one 'coming out of nowhere....

...looks like he plowed into the motorcycle full on...

...and the 'honked the horn' sounds like an embellishment...

3 hours ago, Doc46 said:

Need more info,,,If you make a U turn you must give away to all traffic and make sure that you have enough space to turn to not obstruct the oncoming traffic,,,,Looks like that's not done here,,,,

2 minutes ago, CarolJadzia said:

It is such a shame that these accidents are happening hundreds of times a day. 
The poor training and testing of road users is the biggest issue. In the countries with the lowest accidents rates people are required to display far higher skills in order to be allowed a licence. By comparison Thailand does not require any  on road "real world" demonstration of skills in order to get a driving licence. 
In the absence of this real world interactive training, people revert to the rules they learned as pedestrians. 
As a motorcycle Instructor, I have a different view of this, yes the van driver was in the wrong. But with the thousands of accidents that are caused in this manner all over Thailand, it should not be a surprise that a mini van would act in this manner. "It takes two to tangle". With better defensive rider and driver training, many of these right of way errors could be easily avoided. 

RIP to the rider. 

The attitude of the driver or rider is the problem  

The attitude of the police is the problem.

The attitude of the parents is the problem

The attitude of the government officials is the problem

The attitude of the school teachers is the problem

just for starters.

Better training on how to ride or drive or harder testing,   wont make much difference

in Thailand,   they  dont care at all,    they kill there own children on the roads,  then put it down to bad luck. :bah:

16 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

The attitude of the driver or rider is the problem  

The attitude of the police is the problem.

The attitude of the parents is the problem

The attitude of the government officials is the problem

The attitude of the school teachers is the problem

just for starters.

Better training on how to ride or drive or harder testing,   wont make much difference

in Thailand,   they  dont care at all,    they kill there own children on the roads,  then put it down to bad luck. :bah:

To assume people do not care is a problem.

We call it "fundamental attribution error". 

We all care about our safety. Many Thais consider this life to be part of a greater journey and only see death as a lesson. That does not make them less caring, just they have a different way of seeing things. That is a cultural challenge. 

Training does make a difference and a growing number of Thai riders are seeking information from me on defensive riding skills. 

So at least with the many Thai's I know, their attitude is not the problem. But obviously yours is! 

29 minutes ago, CarolJadzia said:

To assume people do not care is a problem.

We call it "fundamental attribution error". 

We all care about our safety. Many Thais consider this life to be part of a greater journey and only see death as a lesson. That does not make them less caring, just they have a different way of seeing things. That is a cultural challenge. 

Training does make a difference and a growing number of Thai riders are seeking information from me on defensive riding skills. 

So at least with the many Thai's I know, their attitude is not the problem. But obviously yours is! 

Bull shit. 

20 years, 150,000 km most round this town.

tells me  your wrong,    they dont give a shit.   about how  to drive or ride on the roads.

They know exactly what they are doing.  ( selfish, murderous drivers riders )

They will view harder training and harder testing as what they need to do just to drive or ride.

When  they have the  license  after what you think is required ,   they will just carry on

same as before.

You need to hit the pocket and get the cops to do there job as well.

Remember money number 1 in Thailand. up the fines. and enforce the rules.

As for your comment about my attitude,   

ok man,    if that's what you think fine.

Your just delusional  about Thai drivers and riders.  laughable.

They may care about themselves, but they wont care about you or your family on the roads.

Murderous  drivers and riders of Thailand

Edited by onemorechang

@onemorechang yes, the enforcement/compliance model works so well elsewhere that it is also the only answer for Thailand, that's why the "decade of action for road safety" has failed to address the problem with it's blinkered enforcement only model after five years of trying. While internationally road accident fatality figures have either plateaued, or in the countries with the heaviest enforcement approach, such as France and the United States, the fatality rates are now going up!

We are moving into a new era  that is commonly known as "Safety 2 thinking", internationally there is gathering momentum for "recovery from a command and control system".

So your argument for more enforcement just leads to "Hypercomplience"  and is fortunately heading the same way as the dinosaur.

17 minutes ago, CarolJadzia said:

@onemorechang yes, the enforcement/compliance model works so well elsewhere that it is also the only answer for Thailand, that's why the "decade of action for road safety" has failed to address the problem with it's blinkered enforcement only model after five years of trying. While internationally road accident fatality figures have either plateaued, or in the countries with the heaviest enforcement approach, such as France and the United States, the fatality rates are now going up!

We are moving into a new era  that is commonly known as "Safety 2 thinking", internationally there is gathering momentum for "recovery from a command and control system".

So your argument for more enforcement just leads to "Hypercomplience"  and is fortunately heading the same way as the dinosaur.

Thank you for confirming you dont live here.

or at best have been here a only couple of years.

Referencing  thailand to other countries is bull shit,     they are special here.

For years the cops just let it go on,   they dont care.   they dont enforce  anything on the roads apart form money collection days for silly crash helmut rules or license stuff

and guess what people drive with out a license here,  did you know that ?

Fine them, confiscate there  vehicles,     imprison them for there murderous attitude.

The enforcement you talk of is 400 baht fine  , now on your way,  ready  to endanger others. 

15 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Thank you for confirming you dont live here.

or at best have been here a only couple of years.

Referencing  thailand to other countries is bull shit,     they are special here.

For years the cops just let it go on,   they dont care.   they dont enforce  anything on the roads apart form money collection days for silly crash helmut rules or license stuff

and guess what people drive with out a license here,  did you know that ?

Fine them, confiscate there  vehicles,     imprison them for there murderous attitude.

The enforcement you talk of is 400 baht fine  , now on your way,  ready  to endanger others. 

I never claimed to live in Thailand, but I am working with many who do, including Thai Police officers and many ex-pats. So keep up your correspondence bias. Makes no difference to me. I just wonder that with so much hate why you would want to live in such an ignorant horrible country yourself. 

27 minutes ago, CarolJadzia said:

I never claimed to live in Thailand, but I am working with many who do, including Thai Police officers and many ex-pats. So keep up your correspondence bias. Makes no difference to me. I just wonder that with so much hate why you would want to live in such an ignorant horrible country yourself. 

Ha Ha,     i just knew it, :thumbsup:

Have a nice day.

Yes i hate the murderous drivers riders of Thailand.  :wai2:

Edited by onemorechang

My money is on the motorcyclist having come out of nowhere. The guys on motocycles here in BKK go crazy fast. My money is also on the minivan driver not yielding because these minivan drivers here seldom yield. 

Bottom line--its the motorcyclists fault because he ignored the Laws.

The laws of Physics.

From the image it looks as though the minibus had completed his U-turn and had moved over to the left hand side of the road. The damage to the front of the minibus and the position of the bike ( if it hasn't been moved ) probably shows that the bike exited a side road and was mown down. Or was travelling in the wrong direction on the highway ( not unusual ) and didn't see the minibus.

Both are probably guilty of driving without due care.. No word on whether the biker had a decent helmet on - Probably not, hence not much chance of survival.

as we all know driving here is not for the faint hearted...

deaths here are a daily event..whether it's a Car, Bus,Scooter,Bike...you name it...

driver training is Zero..

shocking for us, but it's accepted here as part of day to day living....Sadly...