My ultra reliable maid of 6 years, now stealing cash.

xvend

12 hours ago, fatyank said:

wow amazing how many are blaming the victim here

he caught her twice.......that is the tip of the iceberg.......she probably got away with it many times over the years.

I have been here a long time. I always put my loose coins into a large object like a flower vase, I have filled these to the top 10 times over and always someone takes it in the end.

Not about money as I think it's quite funny in the end. It's almost like building a perfect sand castle and someone kicks it over.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Nice to 100 per cent agree with you for once Bazza. Hopefully at some stage the Op will clarify but i reckon the 1000 baht was for 1 month (8 hours) not 1 week. 

nope, 1,000 for 1 week to clean and do my laundry. It started at 500/week, but i tend to give raises each year. It was not up until recently she started asking for pre-payments.

And I hate to say it, we are both grown adults and should have some moral compass.

7 hours ago, tropo said:

I'll make a side bet the OP forgives and she's back again soon...

You get only 1 chance with me. She is gone forever.

Replacement already found, as that's was happens when you develop personal connections over the years.

In my business, I've only had to fire one person in 8 years. incompetence, not stealing.

Thanks fot the response xvend and i do think that makes her actions considerably more serious. As some have said on here it does sometimes seem that being too generous is not a good idea and leads to a lack of respect or greed but that is a 'bad attitude'

1 minute ago, rogeroc said:

Thanks fot the response xvend and i do think that makes her actions considerably more serious. As some have said on here it does sometimes seem that being too generous is not a good idea and leads to a lack of respect or greed but that is a 'bad attitude'

I will tell you one thing that is certain, nothing to do with Thais, that most bad attitudes are a direct result of personal problems, money, drugs, alcohol, gambling or whatever.

Sometimes you have to suck it up, re-tool, downgrade and start over. Not steal.

Since I've been through the ups and downs in life, I have very little tolerance for people who choose the latter.

I'd give her the job back. She picked up a few baht that was left lying around. Probably though nothing of it, pretty much the same as picking up any rubbish you leave lying around. If you drop 100 baht on the floor you would expect her to come running and give it back to you. If you drop a sweet wrapper on the floor would you expect her to also give it back to you ?

She could have stolen your valuable property, but didn't. She could have had a set of keys cut and could still come back at anytime to steal things when you are out, but hasn't.

Who knows what you new maid might steal.

And lets not forget this maid admitted she took it and gave it back.

29 minutes ago, xvend said:
29 minutes ago, xvend said:

You get only 1 chance with me. She is gone forever.

Replacement already found, as that's was happens when you develop personal connections over the years.

In my business, I've only had to fire one person in 8 years. incompetence, not stealing.

She stole from you twice ?

Edited by berybert

Sorry, must be gender-logic; I miss your point. Money left about ones own home is not a tip for whoever happens to be there. My wife knows I may leave something in my pockets so she checks my pockets to see if I left anything before tossing it into the washer or taking it to the laundry.

Your wife checks for you?? What is it with men who cant check their own pockets or throw the clothes in the machine

4 minutes ago, berybert said:

I'd give her the job back. She picked up a few baht that was left lying around. Probably though nothing of it, pretty much the same as picking up any rubbish you leave lying around. If you drop 100 baht on the floor you would expect her to come running and give it back to you. If you drop a sweet wrapper on the floor would you expect her to also give it back to you ?

She could have stolen your valuable property, but didn't. She could have had a set of keys cut and could still come back at anytime to steal things when you are out, but hasn't.

I know this has turned into a very long topic, so I forgive for not reading it all, but yes she stole twice :) if not more.

7 hours ago, bamukloy said:

What your saying is a good tactic i guess, but not nice if your the one being tested. Its kind of like having someone presuming your a thief from the start and pretty demeaning.

I had this happen once (i suspected) although i was not really the hired help, it felt pretty demoralising.

When i saw the guy again i gave him the money back, and said to him its no wonder people steal from you, leaving $100 notes around like that

I don't understand the problem. The maid would never be aware she's being tested unless she was caught, in which case she would no longer be the maid. 

It's better to presume that everyone is a thief than running around trusting everybody.

Sorry just found it rather amusing that you mentioned she stole from you twice, then reading thru the comments you said you only give people one chance.

I do love a touch of irony.

Which is something you would be needing the maid to do I suspect.

First of all he gives her 1,000 Baht for 2 hours a week of work. So I gather from that he means 1,000 Baht a month, or 250 Baht a day. The minimum wage is 300 Baht a day. 

Second of all how does he know how long she works? He gave her his house key and already says he is at work during her work time. How much work can anyone do in 2 hours? Ask your wife how long it takes here to clean your house if she can only clean once a week. Laundry alone takes much long than that. Do Left Over Dishes! Wash Floors! Clean Counter Tops and Dust Furniture and Desk! Make bed with fresh linen! Replace Bathroom with Fresh Towels! Clean Shower, Sinks and Toilet! And so on!

Hell! No way in 2 hours! 

Another hilariously helpless farang! Ask your wife how long it takes to clean the house? You just assume he hasnt done it himself? That only the wife can do it?

Just now, berybert said:

Sorry just found it rather amusing that you mentioned she stole from you twice, then reading thru the comments you said you only give people one chance.

I do love a touch of irony.

Which is something you would be needing the maid to do I suspect.

Um 1 chance = 1 chance, ie, this is your one and only chance. 2nd time that's it. Sorry if that's not clear for you.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I don't understand the problem. The maid would never be aware she's being tested unless she was caught, in which case she would no longer be the maid. 

It's better to presume that everyone is a thief than running around trusting everybody.

No problem, but to me, seeing money laying around on the first day and being there alone..i would sniff a set-up a mile away.

It shows the employeer to be double stupid if they took it.

I'd turn it around on the boss..After giving them the money, something like

"Sorry, cant work for someone whos careless enough to leave money all around the place..see ya"

Just an FYI, as I think I previously stated, her reason was to buy cleaning supplies.

A simple phone call to me I would've agreed to it, even though I know it was for something else. 

Not to mention the CCTV footage I showed her. + Full video following her back to her house to collect my laundry which was actually at one of those coin operated shops.

Oh, and she told me a few weeks prior that her iron was broken, I gave her one for free.

Thai's have a very plastic moral compass.  It changes quickly in response to perceived need.I am sure she has talked herself into feeling justified lifting your cash:. someone close to her is sick and needs meds, you have lots of money anyway, you are not paying her enough for all her work etc.. 

if if she is a good maid, don't fire her, stop being a dumb ass and leaving your money around the house.  Keep your money and valuables secure ... your maid is not your mother.

9 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

if if she is a good maid, don't fire her, stop being a dumb ass and leaving your money around the house.  Keep your money and valuables secure ... your maid is not your mother.

I'm a dumbass? Should I lock away my TV, computers, ipads, Laptops, and phones before she enters my house once a week?

I run a business here where people leave $25,000 rolexes or equivalent  quite frequently. My staff logs it into a book, locks it away.

We've had people come 2 years later and ask about their lost valuables, with a look on their face that they know it's gone.

Always returned, identity verified. That's how I do business and my team members are compensated accordingly.

Not jack me for 170Baht. No respect.

Edited by xvend

5 hours ago, berybert said:

You have a slightly off moral compass.

I would expect her to pick cash up and leave it on a table, it is in no way similar to a sweet wrapper as something the cat left. She may well have had a set of keys cut, that will always be a risk, you can't say she hasn't because the earth still spins, so far she hasn't.

She only admitted when confronted, for me, since she threw away a second chance a third is not needed.

Sad, but a new maid may also give problems, but looks like the old one most certainly will.

30 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You have a slightly off moral compass.

I would expect her to pick cash up and leave it on a table, it is in no way similar to a sweet wrapper as something the cat left. She may well have had a set of keys cut, that will always be a risk, you can't say she hasn't because the earth still spins, so far she hasn't.

She only admitted when confronted, for me, since she threw away a second chance a third is not needed.

Sad, but a new maid may also give problems, but looks like the old one most certainly will.

You could be right you could be wrong.

We have a maid who has been the best part of honest for 6 years. When asked what happened to the 500 baht that was left on the table she may have had no idea. But not wanting to lose a job that was well paying she may have replaced it despite the fact she didn't take it.

Have any of us made the mistake of thinking something has been stolen only to reconsider later ?

I've made that mistake before. Have you ?

7 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Your wife checks for you?? What is it with men who cant check their own pockets or throw the clothes in the machine

I don't do washing; in fact, I never have. Planned it that way. Too bad some men have to; seems the men who do are just jealous--go ahead, tell me how much you want to do your laundry. 

You could be right you could be wrong.

We have a maid who has been the best part of honest for 6 years. When asked what happened to the 500 baht that was left on the table she may have had no idea. But not wanting to lose a job that was well paying she may have replaced it despite the fact she didn't take it.

Have any of us made the mistake of thinking something has been stolen only to reconsider later ?

I've made that mistake before. Have you ?

It was all a big understanding!

Message the OP for the maid's details and hire her.

I'm sure it will be different when she works for you

I don't do washing; in fact, I never have. Planned it that way. Too bad some men have to; seems the men who do are just jealous--go ahead, tell me how much you want to do your laundry. 

Seems like a basic life chore you do. You would be one of those guys who cant use a kitchen either i expect

When I stayed in hotels here it was accepted that by leaving your loose change in the ashtray you were tipping the maid. The money would go. The maid here probably thinks small amounts left around by the rich farang could be considered to be one of the perks of her job.

As it turns out her erstwhile employer counts every last satang he owns and even picks up 1 baht coins on the street (eeww). 

I know everyone is different and have different values, but I don't even pick up coins from the table at a restaurant ( Much to my lady's chagrin if she is there).  After six years here, I can't tell the denomination by sight of most of Thailand coins because I never use them. The exception would be the one with the insert.

To sack, on the spot, an "ultra reliable" employee of six years without talking about rules and expectations, and then giving a final warning, in my opinion is an over reaction considering the small amounts she pilfered.

The OP shot himself in the foot. Good luck finding another ultra reliable servant.