My ultra reliable maid of 6 years, now stealing cash.

xvend

1 minute ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

1) You assume that she can do all the laundry, wash dishes, clean the bathroom, change linen, wash floors, clean tables, and all the rest in just 2 hours. My Washing Machine would not even finish the first cycle by then. Can you do your place totally in 2 hours? She is not Super Woman. She is a 52 Year Old Uneducated Thai Cleaning Lady who does peoples houses to try a scrape together a living as she needs the money.  

2) Agree we are talking about Thai Wages here. The problem lies with Farangs who pay Thai Wages and yet expect the same US Service and Honesty. 

3) No! It does not shock me that some here have a Good Heart. What shocks me is people who claim they have a Good Heart, and their Maid is a Trusted Friend and part of their Family, yet fire her and throw her out on the street over 5 Bucks. 

4) The Op was damned sure about the initial loss as that was his first trap. He knew exactly how much money it was and where he put that, and called her as soon as he saw that missing. He just couldn't prove it the first time as he would have to go through all the garbage, which he was not prepared to do. I just question that if she really was a trusted friend why he did this in the first place and didn't try to help her instead? Which the logical answer would be she wasn't any kind of a friend at all to him and for sure not family.   

Go back to the first post.

1) He employs her to wash clothes.  Having said this, I find it a bit 'suspect' too - why on earth would anyone employ a cleaner to wash clothes???

2) The OP 'says' he pays 1,000 bht for 2 hours work.  If he's telling the truth - its ridiculous.  Which is why (following your post), I'm beginning to assume he's not telling the truth.

3) Assuming the OP is telling the truth, he fired her because she was stealing - it has nothing to do with the amount of money involved.

4) The OP wasn't "damned sure" about the initial loss - which is why he checked by setting a trap.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Its not a case of just passport/credit cards and cash.

Personally, I keep passport and cards in my purse - but quite often leave cash around when I've emptied my pockets following a shopping trip etc.  Plus, as a female, the jewellery I use most often is on my dressing table - and it hadn't crossed my mind that my cleaner would steal it!  And neither of them have done so.

I wouldn't think of distrusting anyones' honesty - until I had a reason to do so - as per the OP's post.

Honesty?

Let me tell you about Honesty? There probably isn't a person here who could Honestly say that if they could get away with stealing a Million Dollars, and no chance of ever getting caught, they wouldn't take it. Yet none of us here would risk losing our job and reputation over stealing 5 Bucks.  So in their lies your Honesty. The only thing in question is your price. 

1 minute ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Honesty?

Let me tell you about Honesty? There probably isn't a person here who could Honestly say that if they could get away with stealing a Million Dollars, and no chance of ever getting caught, they wouldn't take it. Yet none of us here would risk losing our job and reputation over stealing 5 Bucks.  So in their lies your Honesty. The only thing in question is your price. 

Missing your point.  We're talking about someone stealing relatively small amounts (even to the cleaner) at least once?

Edit - If the OP had left 1m bht lying around you may have a point, but otherwise its just semantics.

Edited by dick dasterdly

51 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Its not a case of just passport/credit cards and cash.

Personally, I keep passport and cards in my purse - but quite often leave cash around when I've emptied my pockets following a shopping trip etc.  Plus, as a female, the jewellery I use most often is on my dressing table - and it hadn't crossed my mind that my cleaner would steal it!  And neither of them have done so.

I wouldn't think of distrusting anyones' honesty - until I had a reason to do so - as per the OP's post.

Well walking around with a purse in Pattaya isn't exactly the safest thing to do either. Watch out for 2 guys o a motrobike who want to zoom past you. 

Maybe your cleaner won't steal your jewelry. I don't know. Nobody knows for sure.  All I know is that you have a better chance of having it stolen if you don't lock it up.  

Just now, GOLDBUGGY said:

Well walking around with a purse in Pattaya isn't exactly the safest thing to do either. Watch out for 2 guys o a motrobike who want to zoom past you. 

Maybe your cleaner won't steal your jewelry. I don't know. Nobody knows for sure.  All I know is that you have a better chance of having it stolen if you don't lock it up.  

A good way to change the subject from a cleaner stealing, to being robbed whilst out and about :lol:.

You're quite right of course that the chance of a cleaner stealing is reduced if everything is locked up - but some of us prefer  not to live this way.

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Missing your point.  We're talking about someone stealing relatively small amounts (even to the cleaner) at least once?

Edit - If the OP had left 1m bht lying around you may have a point, but otherwise its just semantics.

How do you know what 170 Baht means to a Thai Woman in great need? It may be enough to buy medicine for a sick child. You have no way of knowing that! 

May I also suggest you go back and read as the Ops has more than one post here. He talks about his maid asking for advances, and other things you seemed to have missed. 

6 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

How do you know what 170 Baht means to a Thai Woman in great need? It may be enough to buy medicine for a sick child. You have no way of knowing that! 

May I also suggest you go back and read as the Ops has more than one post here. He talks about his maid asking for advances, and other things you seemed to have missed. 

I give up - there are some people that are determined that posted facts should be ignored in favour of their (imagined) scenario.

Edited by dick dasterdly

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

A good way to change the subject from a cleaner stealing, to being robbed whilst out and about :lol:.

You're quite right of course that the chance of a cleaner stealing is reduced if everything is locked up - but some of us prefer  not to live this way.

I can understand that you choose not to live this way and that is fine. Up-to-You!

But I also read the Pattaya News and almost weekly there is some woman robbed of her purse, or some Drunk Farang robbed of his Gold Necklace on the Street by a Lady Boy, or having his wallet taken by a pickpocket after flashing a lot of cash around at a bar, or some Indian Guy waking up in his hotel room a day later, after being drugged but a Bar Girl, and all of his money and Gold gone because he did not put it away. 

So by all means, be another statistic and make the news by having a cleaning lady steal your jewelry. Again Up-to-you! 

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I give up - there are some people that are determined that posted facts should be ignored in favour of their (imagined) scenario.

DD, i think you are being unreasonable especially if you read Post 1  in conjuction with Post 8.  

Edited by rogeroc

New maid on Sunday! :)

My home  was literally robbed about 3 years ago. Because of how they install sliding glass doors in Thailand the opposite way they should be (If you know what I mean, thanks. If you don't I can explain it if you want.)

While I was sleeping and my golden retriever probably wagging his tail and thinking it was my friend, my house was broken into by who knows.

Laptop, Mac, TV, Iphone, all available for the taking.

Guess what he/she/they took?

My stupid loose change vase that I worked so hard on to top off.

Draw your own conclusions as to why.

The guard dog, in his younger years :)

DSC00317.JPG

Edited by xvend

I would probably only hire a Maid to show up when I am there , 

I can wash my own clothes , cook my own food ,  but overall I am lazy so a maid can do things I do not want to , 

But if I was going to have them work when I was not there , I would be sure they knew where "some" of the security cameras are,

but not all of them !

I have a maid with OCD. When she's done for the day all the cups in the cupboard have their handles facing the same way. We have pictures on shelves that she always points in the opposite direction to the way we want them.

She is meticulous about folding my t-shirts in my wardrobe - all folded to exactly the same size so that the stack of t-shirts is perfectly vertically aligned on both sides.

Sometimes I mess with her head by turning a few cups around when she's upstairs. 

If we ever can't find anything in the house - it's because we have a place we like to keep stuff but that doesn't align with where her OCD thinks stuff should be kept. So every couple of days we have to call her to ask her where stuff is in our house and of course due to her OCD, she knows where everything is.

She has a Mitsu pick up - it's still got the plastic covering on the step that comes when the car is delivered - it's 3 years old. I often feel like just tearing that strip off but I think she'd probably flip out.

She never stole a thing, I leave my wallet out always. There's valuables all over the house. She even gets the kids from school if the wife and I are too busy. We pay her well - 9k per month for 3 days per week - but they are full days.

She's interesting but the best maid I had was Naree - I remember her first day. I was in bed, dog tired. There was a knock on the door - so I put some shorts on & went to answer it. There she was. I welcomed her in and she literally rushed past me. By the time I got to the bedroom to resume my nap, she'd already made the bed and was cleaning the bathroom. She was a whirlwind. A lovely woman who, we have since visited on occasion since she returned to Isaan. 

My friend Mick had a couple of Burmese sisters as maids. They used to shower together.  He refused all my offers of a transfer....

Maids can be a lot of fun here...