Hazard Lights At Crossroads?

I've recently noticed people switchingon their hazard lights when wanting to go straight ahead at a crossroads.

Is this an official, lawful driving regulation?

If so, wouldn't it make sense if we all drove around with them on all the time (i.e. when we're driving straight down a road), and only indicated (or turned one indicator off) when we intended to turn?

I have noticed also that those who do switch on their hazard lights seem to think that they automatically have the right of way and steam on through the cross roads - surely a tad counter productive to any intended 'safety measure' in the first place).

Nope, neither lawful of official :o

Also dangerous, as, if one light is obscured (by another vehicle for example) you can no longer tell what direction the signalling vehicle intends going.

Don't do it, please. :D

I've recently noticed people switchingon their hazard lights when wanting to go straight ahead at a crossroads.

If so, wouldn't it make sense if we all drove around with them on all the time (i.e. when we're driving straight down a road), and only indicated (or turned one indicator off) when we intended to turn?

I have noticed also that those who do switch on their hazard lights seem to think that they automatically have the right of way and steam on through the cross roads - surely a tad counter productive to any intended 'safety measure' in the first place).

Yes it sounds strange but like they say when in rome :D Only know one Thai girl who does this when approaching an intersection, flashing of lights is also common. I wonder if there is a book on all these signals. I only know of a few like flashing lights on highway to let them know you are going fast :D right indicator to let the car infront know you wish to overtake :D

Oh & let's not forget the finger out the window to let them know you are not happy with their driving :D:o

Driving Me Crazy

When in Rome do as the Romans do but make sure you know what the local signals mean first.

With all the tourists driving and using different unofficial signals it can be dangerous.

A few examples that I know of.

In Oz indicating right was ok to pass, left meant don’t pass. Totally opposite in other countries as many tourists in Oz discovered moments before they had a head on collision.

Indicating left then right in some parts of the Middle East tells the driver behind to dip his headlights as he’s blinding you.

Flashing headlights at the oncoming car in the Middle East expects a replying flash to indicate the approaching driver is still awake at the wheel.

Markuk’s example is another good one.

Also dangerous, as, if one light is obscured (by another vehicle for example) you can no longer tell what direction the signalling vehicle intends going.

Drivers are told in their driving test not to do this.

When in Rome do as the Romans do but make sure you know what the local signals mean first.

With all the tourists driving and using different unofficial signals it can be dangerous.

A few examples that I know of.

In Oz indicating right was ok to pass, left meant don’t pass. Totally opposite in other countries as many tourists in Oz discovered moments before they had a head on collision.

Indicating left then right in some parts of the Middle East tells the driver behind to dip his headlights as he’s blinding you.

Flashing headlights at the oncoming car in the Middle East expects a replying flash to indicate the approaching driver is still awake at the wheel.

Markuk’s example is another good one.

well at least we havent got american cars here with their flashing brake lights etc!! :o

Isn't that also the attitude of those indicating right, left or nothing at all? :o

flashing of lights is also confusing, in the UK you will flash your lights to indicate to someone that they can go etc, here it means i am coming through at 100mph get out of my way!! again dont do it!

I know...this is so funny! In England a flash of the lights means "after you". Here in Thailand it is "me first".

In France it is also "me first". When I lived in London and took my car to France for the first time I learned that the hard way.

You are right, Crossy, though a lot of Thais outside of Bangkok do it. The only time I ever do it is at a dead traffic light near Ayuthaya close to my wife's family's home. And, I only do it there because at that point I usually have someone from her family in the back seat. Thai wives can be strong backseat drivers.