T O P Fibre trouble

johnmcc6

I live near Airport Plaza. My fiber connection is constantly dropping out requiring a reconnect or showing limited connectivity also requiring restart. My phone however works o k even though the laptop drops out. I have had the usual visits and complaints handled at the office but they last hardly a day. There is a network configuration problem somewhere. Could it be my older laptop has a problem or is it my modem? Perhaps even when my phone on wi fi works it is because even with limited connectivity there is enough signal for phone but not the laptop? Even when working for a while the loading of different sites are jerky and slower than normal. I have tried cleaning malware, no issues and use A V G .I have even tried large doses of SangSom to ease the frustration. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

It's not your fiber connection dropping but your Wifi. That's nothing your provider is responsible for, unless they provisioned the Wifi. As your phone still works (check if this is really through Wifi and not mobile data), it may be a driver issue on your laptop. Try to update to the latest version, depending on the Wifi module/card you have. What also could be that the Wifi router is overheating and hanging/resetting. TP Link are know to do this from time to time.

I endorse both MadMac's question and lj cm's suggestion.  

RE phone:   you said you phone works on wifi, you did not say if you have specifically set it to use wifi and are using Line or the web.  If you are making normal calls, I would think it is actually connecting to cell phone towers.

Using the LAN cable will tell you if wifi signal vs the actual cable connection.

I have True fiber and I have found that I need to turn off the modem/router every so often.  If I really run through YouTube videos after it has been on for hours, I frequently reach the point where the videos are buffering.  If I turn off the box for a couple of minutes,  YouTube videos are viewable on demand.  Is True throttling my speed after a while?  Probably not if I can reconnect and get the touted speed.  Incidentally, my PC is connected to the router by LAN cable.   

You said complaints handled at the office.  No one came to the house to check your connections and modem/router?   

3 hours ago, noise said:

I endorse both MadMac's question and lj cm's suggestion.  

RE phone:   you said you phone works on wifi, you did not say if you have specifically set it to use wifi and are using Line or the web.  If you are making normal calls, I would think it is actually connecting to cell phone towers.

Using the LAN cable will tell you if wifi signal vs the actual cable connection.

I have True fiber and I have found that I need to turn off the modem/router every so often.  If I really run through YouTube videos after it has been on for hours, I frequently reach the point where the videos are buffering.  If I turn off the box for a couple of minutes,  YouTube videos are viewable on demand.  Is True throttling my speed after a while?  Probably not if I can reconnect and get the touted speed.  Incidentally, my PC is connected to the router by LAN cable.   

You said complaints handled at the office.  No one came to the house to check your connections and modem/router?   

I should say my partners phone and tablet both work fine. We cannot use wi fi unless my modem is running. I tried to up date windows 7 but it takes forever and keeps dropping out before it completes. Unless I sit here for hours reconnecting it will never finish.Someone did come out and did a re boot of lines and numbers but after he left it played up a few hours later. At the moment I have a fan on the router after a reset. See what happens. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

John

By inclination and training, I am a nit picker and am detail oriented.  And these types of problems really get my interest up.... at your expense.

Partner's phone and tablet work but can't use wifi unless your modem is running.  

1.  You mean partner can not access web sites or Line, etc., on the phone unless your modem is running?    I assume you got a modem /router from TOT, so it makes sense no wifi signal unless modemis on because it includes the router.  If that is not what  you meant, please clarify.

2.  What program speed do you have with TOT?  Have you run speed tests to see if you are getting what you are paying for?

3.  How long have you had fiber and that modem/router?   They do fail.... but you said some one came out and said that wasn't the problem?

4.  If you have another router, you could bridge the modem and try the wifi signal from that.

5.  Reboot of lines and numbers:  what does that mean, specially a reboot of numbers?  Numbers make me think ADSL over a phone line vice fiber.   

I had no where near as bad a problem as you have and the technician came out and finally went up the telephone pole to the fiber box and changed my particular connection to a different output terminal in their box.  Problem cured.  

I have had both the fiber and modem for about 8 months. My partner uses you tube and google a lot . It only works when router is on. In spite of that my computer still drops out while hers is O K. I have had a large fan blowing on my router since re boot  but dropouts persist. I have never had this trouble before only in the last month or so. I cannot think of any changes to my surfing that would have stated this. The techy that came out seemed to be updating all my connections etc with T O T. I did not watch him like perhaps I should have. I will try the cable hook up but right now my cable is too short to reach the router.Will sort that out shortly . Anyway I have eliminated heat at the router as a problem. I pay around 850 for 2 Mbps 2u 1 port. Whatever that means. 

PS  I am glad you are interested.

TOT has FIBER 2U (TO YOU) 20 Mbps down/7 Mbps up for 750 baht/month with free TV.  That is probably what you got.    And that speed, you should not have a problem.

As to the 1 port, how many LAN cables can you plug into the back?   If literally 1 port, then do you have a separate box for the wifi router?    I found this picture of a cable modem (no router) on Amazon showing 1 port.  The blue port is for USB.   The specs say a separate router is required.

You might try the TOT speed test to see if you are getting your 20/7. Go to TOT TEST.   I have True 30/3 and posted a screen shot of what I got at that test site.  If not, then something is wrong with your line, like you think.

I also included a picture that explained to me why you had a fan on the modem.

It will be interesting to see if you solve you problem.

TOT MODEM FAN.jpg

TOT Test.jpg

1 port.jpg

Well it seems it must have been at T O T 's end as everything is now working fine?? I did not call them nor change anything.It just stopped dropping out.Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. One would think T O T would buy a guy a drink for making him pull his hair out.