Where Has Everyone Gone?

chickengeorge

I have been reading this forum for a number of years and found it very informative at times, funny occaisionally but on the whole not a bad read. However over the last 3 months or so it appears to have gone very quiet and sterile. Where have all the regualr posters gone? are they now busy, bored or banned? There used to be varied opinions but now its all become rather boring. I myself had very little time to post but I now find myself with a bit more freetime but nothing worth posting about. It seems to have coincided with the departure of ChrisP. Seems like the forum now has a Victorian feel about it with very little freedom of speech and a one sided narrow viewpoint.

Anybody else noticed this change?

I have been reading this forum for a number of years and found it very informative at times, funny occaisionally but on the whole not a bad read. However over the last 3 months or so it appears to have gone very quiet and sterile. Where have all the regualr posters gone? are they now busy, bored or banned? There used to be varied opinions but now its all become rather boring. I myself had very little time to post but I now find myself with a bit more freetime but nothing worth posting about. It seems to have coincided with the departure of ChrisP. Seems like the forum now has a Victorian feel about it with very little freedom of speech and a one sided narrow viewpoint.

Anybody else noticed this change?

Try this Chicken,

found your reply in another post:

QUOTE(PeaceBlondie @ 2006-11-19 15:08:05)

QUOTE(idle44mins @ 2006-11-19 13:35:54)

I saw a few years ago a Thai boy with this text on his T-shirt: "I'm not gay, my boyfriend is!"

I've tried to find it eversince, but no result!!

Someone any ideas?

I bought that t-shirt from a street vendor in Pattaya in March 2003, and gave it to my boyfriend. He seldom wears it, though.

many reasons why he wouldnt wear such an awful t-shirt. maybe he just dont like it

Is that maybe a reason? Did someone ask you for an opinion on that specific T-shirt? People like you make these kind of media pretty messy and not valuable anymore for a lot of people.

Edited by idle44mins

The local forum moderators, endure and I, are open to criticism, suggestions, etc. Please PM us. Just today I was telling him how we needed more postings.

Thanks. Victorian!!?? We allowed the post about anal lube; we pruned a few more explicit references to anal intercourse. We probably banned or suspended posting rights to posters who were evident homophobes. ThaiVisa doesn't allow discussions of barboys and bargirls.

Please PM us with your concerns.

ChrisP is still around - he has been on today and was posting yesterday...

Anyways - I have been posting here for about 18 months now i think, and ive certainly noticed a downturn from regular posters... why that is i dont know - but since ive been a member ive also noticed the influx of new members that post, post, post then disappear again - this trend seems to happen every other month...

wussies - got no backbone - no damned staying power........

rio666uk (still here, still bad, still posting) :o

yes well, with respect, the reason is: this forum has for a long while been boring.

it needs some spice and an attitude.

just take a look at some of the topics, aparel for gays, Vincents 7 rooms, gltb toolbar(that could have a hint of naughtiness) but probably does not etc etc

Get some topics that will interest most of us gays, and u will get some interesting postings and people!

have a nice day.....dear.....

Used to post prolificly here, but lost interest. Too many flamers, accusations of trolling, and other narrow-minded pressure tactics that discourage a free flow of discussion.

As interest here waned, I found out that other forums on TV were refreshingly engaging and stimulating, some with even a sense of comraderie, and good-natured tete-a-tete (sorely missing here).

I haven't given up. Hope we can revive it.

In my opinion it all went downhill after The Moog was banned. You can trace the decline of this sub forum to that specific date.
Well, howdy there, Johnny boy - how's it hanging? So, you're a buddy of the Moog, eh? Where's he been keeping himself lately? You have seen him, nga? Give him a kiss for all the guys back here, will ya' now.

Good talking at ya', Rambo.

How - asking sincerely, now - how can we inspire ourselves and others to start new topics, and contribute to them? What is there about gay life, especially in Thailand, that we haven't already covered? Okay, let's discuss it again.

PB, it is not just a case of talking about old topics...or creating new ones. It is the level of comfort posters have in opening up to discuss issues that are near and dear to their heart. Too often posters have been exposed to the cynical nature of some of the long-standing Thai Visa regulars. And for some people it gets old, especially if they have opened up their heart to write something for this board. As for me, I have some serious concerns about the long-term effects the current government might have on gay people in Thailand. We are seeing a subtle tightening of government controls on a variety of areas of everyday life. I don't doubt for a second that gays in Thailand will eventually be the targets of someone's repressive efforts.

I always thought that an opinion expressed through a prism of supposed exclusivity was of doubtful worth not least because those who give voice often have little to commend themselves beyond their exclusivity.

Atrophy inevitably follows and I suppose this minority forum will be no different.

Why was the Moog banned? He and his chums were most amusing when in form and are sorely missed as indeed the semi literate but aspirational Scamp.

:o Most!! :D Dukkha.....but that is only my humblest opinion, it is self evident by the number of reduced posts and many regulars being quite conspicuous by their absence...it seems if one does not tow the 'party line' then what one may wish to express is not received with a great degree of freedom/acceptance/regard/tolerance/or even much interest...my experience on other forums has not been of the same ilk as it has been here, not as confrontational, critical, omniscient, didactic, or even to some extent here, punishing, as in banning people who have something to say which may not be to the liking of the Moderators, those elevated to their position by some criteria that still eludes me totally...your use of the word 'relaxed' sums it up most accurately...the sadness for me is that as gay men we ought to be promoting attitudes which so often are not deemed acceptable here....of course gay men run the gamut of opinion as do heterosexual men, however, it is the latter who do not suffer the oppression/intolerance/minority/suppression/antagonism/alienation/stigma/anomie/fear/homophobia/ad nauseum.....The OP of this particular thread pointed out correctly what has been occuring and I for one have reduced my posts for some of the above reasons....but then again, water seeks its own level as any scientist or someone with a degree of general knowledge would be able to tell you...the word 'relaxed' has become an oxymoron on this forum....am I bitter, jaded and old..........YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As all you wonderful americans would say..."Have a nice day" or maybe "You're welcome" :D Dukkha

If such a sub forum relies heavily on hyper-analysing relationship issues, then in an ideal world it is self-liquidating, in that when everyone's problems are efficiently solved people go off and live their lives happily rather than deal in internecine online navel gazing.

Therefore the sub forum should be renamed 'camp forum' in which a broader range of eclectic matters of kitsch culture could be discussed.

I was the one who complained about rectal lubituminosity, and was told if I didn't like it, I shouldn't read it, which seems to not only avoid the issue of intelligent self-regulation, but lead one further down the dark passageway of innuendo.

Well to start the ball rolling (no pun) I will give an update on the Pattaya Gay Festival which culminates its year of fundraising to coincide with world aids day this weekend.

Wednesday night is Mr PGF in the boys boys boys bar, Friday night is an excellent dinner at Brunos Resteraunt Tickets 1900 baht of which 500 goes to our charity HEARTT2000 saturday night there is a grand street party in boystown tickets 300baht. All money raised goes to the charity above which provides treatment drugs etc with thsoe diagnosed with hiv, if they have no income the treatment is free. This year our donations are down due to lack of support for further information look at our website http://www.pattayagayfestival.com/program.htm.

Come and join the party, meet old friends and make new friends.See you there

Yes, over time this site has gone downhill. It has become rather stale and victorian. I think one of the problems is that there has been an attempt to clean it up and go sort of mainstream and that just isn't interesting.

Yes most of us are in a relationship, have been in a relationship or are planning on being in a relationship. Relationship talk, however, is well, womens talk. I've been in one for 20 years, none-the-less, I am a tramp and an old who*e. I just can't help myself, can't walk by a public john without cruising around. I once missed an airplane flight because I was "occupied".

Does the other half know about me? Yes, I can't tell you how many times I've been caught. He also knows I won't change. He also knows I love him to the ends of the earth. Monogomy is, however, not an option. (I don't expect it of him either). So here's the ground rules:

1. Not in our mutual bed (or bedroom).

2. He doesn't want to know/hear about it.

3. Not with mutual friends.

Even these are hard rules for me to follow, but I try.

The last time I even hinted about something like this on this form, the replies seemed like something you might get on the Catholic Women's site.

So, go ahead have fun, tell me I am horrible and don't deserve anyone and don't deserve to live and should be deported etc. But you know what, I sure have had a REALLY lot of fun over the past years in Bangkok.

How about you? Enjoying your time here?

Oh, and where are the best or cheapest short-time rooms? The Suriwong keeps changing their price!

Now THIS is an item of interest, at least to me! Where are they? Which are good ones? How much?

This sort of information is not readily available elsewhere.

Scott,

If it works for you and your bf then more power to the both of you. I think the important element of your relationship is that the two of you have communicated to each other what you want and need and the other has for better or worse accepted that. The important thing is that you are honest about what you expect of each other.

Unfortunately for me, I am much to practical (da*n it!) to "occupy" myself and risk missing a plane. I must be getting too old and too boring for my own good.

As to the lack of postings and the general boring nature of the forum lately, I have to agree. I miss Boybrat and Top Chinese. I was in Thailand for 3 weeks late October/early November and I have been out of touch. I will however in the next week at least post something on the Nation VI party in Phuket. I realize that for most it is probably of little interest but it may interest a few here just to know my take on the party.

Hope to see some topics that engage more posters. The post starting this thread is nothing new but certainly something many can relate to and express opinions based on their experiences. There is always something in a post such as this that I am sure many can see in themselves. My problem is that I keep making the same mistakes over and over. Will I ever learn? Probably not!

Trouble,

Yes, different strokes for different folks (no pun intended). My very best friend for many, many years, is completely and totally monogomous. He will not be in any relationship that is not exclusive. He, has very high moral standards yet we are and have been best friends for years.

By the way, I think the reason I missed the plane was because I am getting older (but not wiser). The day will come when what little is left of my looks and charm will be gone. Figure I better make the most of things now.

Well as a gay man I have never found much interest in this forum. Mostly fluff and boring posts! I have tried to contribute in the past but replys are always "blah". If Steve "I just wanna teach" posts" I generally have a read...but other than that, I stick to the main forums.

I sign on to Thaivisa everyday...whether I'm flying or not. I find it very informative and helpful and have even offered help myself. The gay room....boring!!!!