Setting up a Thai keyboard on Windows 7

katana

Does anyone know how to setup a Thai keyboard on an English (UK) version of Win 7 so that you can type Thai?
So far I have followed the instructions at
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12578/add-keyboard-languages-to-xp-vista-and-windows-7/
which has worked with one minor niggle.
I wanted to use the grave key (the one just below the Esc key) as the key to press to toggle between Thai and English.
This works, however if I'm typing in English and hit the apostrophe key (the one between the semicolon and hash tag keys), the language switches to Thai and I suddenly find myself typing Thai characters, which is obviously not what I want. So currently I'm using the Alt-Shift option to toggle between Thai and English.

I tried installing the US keyboard in Win 7, which fixes this apostrophe problem, however, then the @ and 2 keys become transposed, so I would rather use the English (UK) keyboard.
Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

I advise against using a single key press or Shift+single key.

Personally, I use the keyboard language toggle near the right end on the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

toggle language.gif

If you are loath to do that, you should use a Ctrl+ or Alt+ combination.

1 control panel>>region and language>>administrative>>change system locate>>"thailand" then restart (pic 1)

2 control panel>>region and language >>keyboards and languages>>change keyboard>>General tab>>add thai keyboad

(pic 2)

3 control panel>>region and language >>keyboards and languages>>change keyboard>>advanced tab>>change key

(pic 3)

system locate.jpg

addthai.jpg

changekey.jpg

Thanks all.

@wahkorboy: I'd tried that already including setting the Current system locale to Thai for displaying text in programs that don't support Unicode. However, I found that while the grave key works correctly for an American keyboard, I was unable to get it to work properly for an English (United Kingdom) keyboard which is what I needed.

Archived