Drunk old men

cumgranosalum

"tucked up in bed by 7" - interesting point.

it seems that many drinkers can't actually see a social life without drinking till the small hours if if this is some yardstick for a "good time"

I think they fail to consider the alternatives.

If I am "tucked up in my bed" in the middle of a national park after hiking from 8 am, having experienced various challenges, observed wildlife etc than tuck ed up is fine.

Even if all i do is get up at 6 the next day and go for a stroll and watch the sun rise over thew beach, see the night fishermen brining in their catch.....I have o headaches, nausea....I don't even have any stress symptoms, I have time to physically DO things rather than crawl out of bed and wonder who's going to be in the bar today so I can repeat the endless cycle of drink and inane conversation like being trapped in a Boschian groundhog day temporal loop.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/08/2016 at 2:04 PM, ozzieovaseas said:

In defense of these old guys i can think of a few points

-  They CAN afford to do what they do.(drink and play with Thai fillys)

-  They dont have to worry about being an English teacher and go through all the kow-towing that envolves.

-  They are actually INVITED to this country with a legit visa classification..dont have to worry about being a perpetual      tourist, illegal worker, poor English teacher, border runner.

Oh, and a lot of them i see are actually in better bodily shape than the younger ones

Plenty of us 'youngsters' (I think I mainly come here because it's the only place left I get called that) are here on legit visas, too. Thailand isn't just a care home.

On 28/08/2016 at 10:27 PM, lostinisaan said:

Occasionally, someone will ask "what was the best time of your life?".  I always answer that ,whilst I have some great memories of the 70's, 80's, 90's etc, the best time of my life is NOW. If you can't say that then perhaps you need to look at your life and make some changes.

Spot on. The youngsters don't even know what you're on about. I wouldn't like to miss one second of the time full of drugs, people having unprotected sex with plenty of others as there wasn't Aids and other strange diseases. 

Rock n' Roll and the best music that was ever created and if manhood in a few thousand years still exists, they'll still listen to that music.

Let the rappers rap, the dumbarsses fill their gap with a rat. I'm only a few years younger, but i really appreciate your post.

People are strange from Jim comes to mind. 

Keep smiling, dude/ mate/ buddy.-:thumbsup:

HD-Jim-Morrison-The Lizard King.jpg

Rock'n'roll has its place, but it's monkeys banging sticks together compared to the pinnacles of musical creation that humanity has reached.

Oh, and we took drugs and got laid a lot, too - and they'd invented better drugs by then.

To those who claim they drink heavily on a regular basis, but it doesn't effect the way they appear to the world, I'd suggest you're deluded. When I lived in London I often worked late enough that I caught the last tube home, stone cold sober. When you're the only person in the carriage who's not had a few, it comes as a shock to see how drunk people really look, and realise that you look that way too - but the beer goggles work their magic on us all.

5 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

To those who claim they drink heavily on a regular basis, but it doesn't effect the way they appear to the world, I'd suggest you're deluded. When I lived in London I often worked late enough that I caught the last tube home, stone cold sober. When you're the only person in the carriage who's not had a few, it comes as a shock to see how drunk people really look, and realise that you look that way too - but the beer goggles work their magic on us all.

It can be quite scary when you wake up next to an ugly looking woman that appeared so sexy the night before. Yep, you're so right, watching other people when they're hammered is a sort of a wake up call to stop drinking. 

Of course do those who need a bottle of whiskey to get out of bed tell others that they don't have a problem with alcohol.

Only without. 

It can be quite scary when you wake up next to an ugly looking woman that appeared so sexy the night before. Yep, you're so right, watching other people when they're hammered is a sort of a wake up call to stop drinking. 

Of course do those who need a bottle of whiskey to get out of bed tell others that they don't have a problem with alcohol.

Only without. 

...that wasn't a woman.

6 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

it seems that many drinkers can't actually see a social life without drinking till the small hours if if this is some yardstick for a "good time"

I have no problem getting totally drunk in the afternoon ..............

hammered.jpg

Alcopops and cheap gin is great, but I can't manage without the real Tonic. What I don't understand is why the drunks are in Thailand, booze is so much cheaper in the Philippines (gin 50 peso a bottle).

Photo from an afternoon of drinking earlier this month.

39 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Been there, seen that. The last train out of Liverpool Street was a nightmare.

That said, I wouldn't have given my beer goggles up for the world.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Been there, seen that. The last train out of Liverpool Street was a nightmare.

That said, I wouldn't have given my beer goggles up for the world.

Like many things, they're fun to wear, but you shouldn't kid yourself about how you look with them on.

15 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I have no problem getting totally drunk in the afternoon ..............

hammered.jpg

Alcopops and cheap gin is great, but I can't manage without the real Tonic. What I don't understand is why the drunks are in Thailand, booze is so much cheaper in the Philippines (gin 50 peso a bottle).

Photo from an afternoon of drinking earlier this month.

"I have no problem getting totally drunk in the afternoon ...." - QED (note the use of "I")

18 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Like many things, they're fun to wear, but you shouldn't kid yourself about how you look with them on.

18 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Trust me, I was never kidding anybody  -  myself included!  :D:D

56 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

"I have no problem getting totally drunk in the afternoon ...." - QED (note the use of "I")

What is strange about that, if MissAndry was drinking with someone else i am sure she would not speak for them and still use the word 'I'.  Are you trying to suggest anybody who likes an occasional drink and occasionally has too many is a sad lonely alcoholic ? 2 drinking vessels on the table as well, maybe somebody loves her !

23 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

This is a serious forum for those who drink too much.

Could a moderator please remove it and stick it in the "Pub" or general forums. It does not belong here.

Are you suggesting that people who drink too much have no sense of humour? 

Maybe that''a the mark of drinking too much - when you go beyond finding everything funny to finding nothing funny

4 hours ago, rogeroc said:

What is strange about that, if MissAndry was drinking with someone else i am sure she would not speak for them and still use the word 'I'.  Are you trying to suggest anybody who likes an occasional drink and occasionally has too many is a sad lonely alcoholic ? 2 drinking vessels on the table as well, maybe somebody loves her !

"i have no problem" - underlies the common perception that drinkers have that their "problem" doesn't affect others.

"I drink..i fall over....no problem" - they forget that others have to pick them up.....or at least climb over them.

32 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

This is a serious forum for those who drink too much.

Could a moderator please remove it and stick it in the "Pub" or general forums. It does not belong here.

The OP has little or nothing to do with problem drinking it's a typical TV bash against old folks as demonstrated by this quote from the OP (in bold).  "However in Thailand I met a new kind of drunk, one I hadn't really encountered before - the drunk old man.....not just the odd one but dozens, even hundreds of them, all blithely oblivious to what glaring fools they were making of themselves. Not only drunks but continually either drunk or “hungover” - which to them is a joke....they have no idea how it looks to those of us standing with our feet firmly in reality.

Fondling young prostitutes in public - and thinking that is not risible - , attempting to dance and sing to ancient pop songs played by jaded Philippine crooners."

The thread should not be moved to Pub it should be removed period. 

17 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Are you suggesting that people who drink too much have no sense of humour? 

Maybe that''a the mark of drinking too much - when you go beyond finding everything funny to finding nothing funny

No I wasn't.

Depends on what you mean by drink too much. Have 8 instead of 6 on a Saturday night or need one in the morning to get rid of the DTs.

20 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

"i have no problem" - underlies the common perception that drinkers have that their "problem" doesn't affect others.

"I drink..i fall over....no problem" - they forget that others have to pick them up.....or at least climb over them.

There there, if you're spending a lot of time climbing over drunks, change your route or your neighbourhood.

27 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

But that just is not the case. There are as you say a number of people who i see who do drink heavily every day but they do not affect me, they don't hurt me. I have only once had to pick one up (and they were Thai)  but i happily helped them without making a fuss or complaining.

49 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

But that just is not the case. There are as you say a number of people who i see who do drink heavily every day but they do not affect me, they don't hurt me. I have only once had to pick one up (and they were Thai)  but i happily helped them without making a fuss or complaining.

So there you have it! - a classic example I can't believe anyone would actually be so unenlightened as to prove my point. NB - This time it's "me" 'me" "me"

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

There there, if you're spending a lot of time climbing over drunks, change your route or your neighbourhood.

the implication being that I should learn to live with another person's drink problem? or  drunks bring down whole neighbourhoods or that lying drunk in the road is OK or good for you?

4 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

the implication being that I should learn to live with another person's drink problem? or  drunks bring down whole neighbourhoods or that lying drunk in the road is OK or good for you?

I'd move to Thailand.  I realize in the UK and Australia and Russia drunks can be a problem but Thai consumption of alcohol isn't even half of what it is in the above mentioned countries.   

If you can't move to Thailand try these tips.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Running-your-pub/Training/Top-tips-for-pubs-on-dealing-with-drunks

When moving to Thailand avoid CM and Pattaya and you have eliminated 99% of the old Farang drunks.  

On 8/28/2016 at 7:22 PM, Scotwight said:

Try a Pattaya AA meeting.  I think you would be surprised at the old men in recovery and all the good they do for others. 

I met a 70 year old alcoholic once who was from Pattaya and had quit drinking for 1 year and looked great!

On 8/28/2016 at 7:11 PM, chiang mai said:

I haven't been to Pattaya for at least eight years so I can't speak about the things you see on Lower Sukhumvit, but I don't see that the behaviour of the younger generations today is doing too much different from what you see, be it in Pattaya, Ibiza, Costa Del fish and chips or where ever, they are just at an earlier stage of the cycle.

I thought Lower Sukhumvit was in Bangkok :blink:

7 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I'd move to Thailand.  I realize in the UK and Australia and Russia drunks can be a problem but Thai consumption of alcohol isn't even half of what it is in the above mentioned countries.   

If you can't move to Thailand try these tips.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Running-your-pub/Training/Top-tips-for-pubs-on-dealing-with-drunks

When moving to Thailand avoid CM and Pattaya and you have eliminated 99% of the old Farang drunks.  

In my OP, I am off of referring to the "expat shuffle" - a gait reserved almost exclusively for elderly Westerners.......

It is a testimony to the strength of alcohol addiction that so many on this thread unashamedly deny what is blatantly obvious in their posts - they are massively dependent on alcohol and have no idea they are - or at least are in a state of deep denial....However, it's there for all to see.

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

The OP has little or nothing to do with problem drinking it's a typical TV bash against old folks as demonstrated by this quote from the OP (in bold).  "However in Thailand I met a new kind of drunk, one I hadn't really encountered before - the drunk old man.....not just the odd one but dozens, even hundreds of them, all blithely oblivious to what glaring fools they were making of themselves. Not only drunks but continually either drunk or “hungover” - which to them is a joke....they have no idea how it looks to those of us standing with our feet firmly in reality.

Fondling young prostitutes in public - and thinking that is not risible - , attempting to dance and sing to ancient pop songs played by jaded Philippine crooners."

The thread should not be moved to Pub it should be removed period. 

My OP is there to make a point - it is about denial and overconsumption of alcohol - the fact that it has ruffled so many feathers simply emphasises my point. 

no-one will ever confront their drink problem until they realise they have one - and rather than simplistic gainsaying, if they see themselves in that cameo then they might have taken the first step to recovery.

There's only one think sadder than a drunk and that's an OLD drunk - maybe they will read this and the last few years of their lives may be a little more dignified from now on....

PS - I notice despite your antipathy to the thread you have still managed to make several posts yourself.

5 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

The OP is there to make a point - it is about denial and overconsumption of alcohol - the fact that it has ruffled so many feathers simply emphasises my point. 

no-one will ever confront their drink problem until they realise they have one - and rather than simplistic gainsaying, if they see themselves in that cameo then they might have taken the first step to rcovery.

Change "old man" with woman, gay man, black man or English man  and the thread gets closed in 4 seconds.  Do you get it?  

However in Thailand I met a new kind of drunk, one I hadn't really encountered before - the drunk gay man.....not just the odd one but dozens, even hundreds of them, all blithely oblivious to what glaring fools they were making of themselves. Not only drunks but continually either drunk or “hungover” - which to them is a joke....they have no idea how it looks to those of us standing with our feet firmly in reality. Fondling young prostitutes in public - and thinking that is not risible - , attempting to dance and sing to ancient pop songs played by jaded Philippine crooners."

However in Thailand I met a new kind of drunk, one I hadn't really encountered before - the drunk English man.....not just the odd one but dozens, even hundreds of them, all blithely oblivious to what glaring fools they were making of themselves. Not only drunks but continually either drunk or “hungover” - which to them is a joke....they have no idea how it looks to those of us standing with our feet firmly in reality. Fondling young prostitutes in public - and thinking that is not risible - , attempting to dance and sing to ancient pop songs played by jaded Philippine crooners."

Archived