PM hails new trains - service from Bangkok to Chiang Mai slashed by three hours

webfact

PM hails new trains - service from Bangkok to Chiang Mai slashed by three hours

p1.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Prime minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha inaugurated fancy Chinese rolling stock yesterday heralding a new era for the railways in Thailand.

The smart new trains are part of a 176 billion baht investment to upgrade the rail system.

The PM yesterday was taken on an auspicious first test run from Bangkok to Nakorn Pathom.

Some 115 new carriages are being purchased from China to supplement the system. Thirty nine of these are now ready for service and after a further month's testing they will be ready for service.

The public will get a chance to use the new trains on the Chiang Mai - Bangkok run in October. Speeds will be up to 120 kph with first class and buffet car available. W-fi and LED screens will be available.

Railways governor Wuthichart Kanyarnmit said that the investment represented a new level of service and convenience for the travelling public adding that journey times from the north to the capital would be slashed by three hours.  

Source: Thairath, Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-29

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume these "trains" will require a locomotive on the head end, as no mention is made of how they are powered. 

In an attached article it mentions power cars, but presumably those cars will supply electrical power to the passenger cars (carriages) of the train.

http://www.railprofessional.com/news/cnrs-13-air-conditioned-train-carriages-arrive-in-thailand

New power:

Edited by ratcatcher

On 8/29/2016 at 1:13 PM, scorecard said:

Actually a very long section of the track mid Thailand to CM was totally relaid with all new materials about 18 months ago.

Actually lots of  major roads in the same time now full of pot holes.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Fancy new trains, same old worn out tracks.

Recipe for disaster.

I don't know about worn tracks, but the sleepers all appear to be concrete which is a step in the right direction.

The biggest hazard appears to be the number of unregulated traffic crossings.

53 minutes ago, kartman said:

Actually lots of  major roads in the same time now full of pot holes.

I can't agree. The "renovated" main roads from Chiang Mai to Bangkok or Khon Kaen (11, 12 and 1) are very pleasant and without any potholes. It's pleasant and safe driving on them.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Actually a very long section of the track mid Thailand to CM was totally relaid with all new materials about 18 months ago.

Maybe but still narrow gauge and the tracks I saw leading out of Chiang Mai don't give much confidence in the ability to go 'faster'

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes this is good; but it only takes one meter of bad old track to derail. And before the trains traveled at 50-70 km;

now 120 + . Not good news for passengers.

Hope I am wrong.

41 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

I can't agree. The "renovated" main roads from Chiang Mai to Bangkok or Khon Kaen (11, 12 and 1) are very pleasant and without any potholes. It's pleasant and safe driving on them.

So maybe they should put wheels on the trains and drive on your new Highway !

Wow. This move was so long overdue. Congratulations for the government. They did something that benefitted the Thai people. At long last. This is what I call moving the country forward! Keep it up. We need more evidence that you really do care Mr. Little Man!

1 minute ago, klauskunkel said:

TAT immediately commented that this would have no effect on tourism whatsoever...., ahem, ooops.

possibly as not many tourists use the trains for the BKK CHIANG Mai connection but travel to these destinations by plane. it will boost local tourism for sure.

30 minutes ago, bark said:

Yes this is good; but it only takes one meter of bad old track to derail. And before the trains traveled at 50-70 km;

now 120 + . Not good news for passengers.

Hope I am wrong.

sir there is a month of testing and the tracks will be all checked up before the commencement of the commercial service.

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

Safe? There is no road in Thailand that is safe. Unless you find one without drivers