Don't Insult The King

ling men

Two nights ago my girl was sitting reading a magazine and there was a picture of the king in it. I said “what would happen if I did this”, and proceeded to give the picture a little playful slap and laughed. She went mad and gave me a slap (not playful).

Last night we were at the movies in the UK and I said “It’s much better here cos you don’t have to bother standing for the king” she then started to prattle on about how great her king was and how she would die for the king. I proposed the dilemma that if the king and her papa were in front of us and I had a gun with one bullet which one would she want me to shoot/save. Her reaction was pretty funny so I pushed a little bit and the end result. She went mad again. Fortunately, the movie started before I got slapped again.

I have learned a lesson; don’t insult the King, even for a joke.

Anyone else learned a similar lesson?

I would think, to anyone who has ever spent any time in Thailand, the Thai reverence for their monarch would not only be obvious but it would become clear that the man has earned the respect and adoration of the Thai people by his exemplary kindness, concern and generosity (of both pocket and spirit).

Frankly, I find the West lacking in this regard, with its need to constantly find fault and denigrate everything and everybody that has any value. Is it so hard to pay respect where respect is due?

This topic will be closed now with the reminder to all of the rules of the forum:

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.