Smoking banned for drivers and passengers of taxi cabs

webfact

Smoking banned for drivers and passengers of taxi cabs

BANGKOK, 30 August 2016 (NNT) – The Land Transport Department and Department of Disease Control (DDC) have jointly mandated that taxi cabs be non-smoking zones, barring both drivers and passengers from smoking in the vehicles effective this September 1 onward. 

Department of Land Transport Director-General Sanit Phromwong, joined by DDC Deputy Director-General Dr. Suthep Petchmak and a representative from the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation, launched the “100% Smoke Free Taxi” campaign by passing out no-smoking stickers to cab drivers for display in their vehicles. 

The campaign was launched to protect the public’s health with the new mandate to bar smoking in cabs established to satisfy legislation protecting the nation’s non-smokers. The stickers passed out to drivers are to be displayed on their front console in easy view of passengers starting September 1. Penalties for failure to display the sticker and abide by its rule include a fine of up to 2,000 baht. 

Members of the public can report violations to 1584 any time of day. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-30

This is to combat the "smoke-free" environment while the passenger is in the taxi.   But what about the cartons upon cartons smoked while the driver is waiting for a passenger?   Will this new move combat an "ashtray-smell-free" environment too?  I've jumped into taxis that made me gag and eyes water from the residual results of a chain smoker.   

Time will tell. 

Edited by Fookhaht

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who smokes as a passenger in a Taxi ??? thats pretty obnoxious IMO... 

The same for a driver who smokes in his Taxi - Also obnoxious... 

I wish the gov't would enforce the same for buses.   It's already been a law for years, but I've lost count of the bus drivers who smoke with an open window--which simply blows a huge amount of smoke and stink to passengers within a large radius.   Being particularly allergic to smoke, I've coughed,  wheezed  and wept my way through a countless number of bus trips here--upcountry and Bangkok both.     

Edited by Fookhaht

8 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

I wish the gov't would enforce the same for buses.   It's already been a law for years, but I've lost count of the bus drivers who smoke with an open window--which simply blows a huge amount of smoke and stink to passengers within a large radius.   Being particularly allergic to smoke, I've coughed,  wheezed  and wept my way through a countless number of bus trips here--upcountry and Bangkok both.     

Your travels in buses and taxis would seem to be life threatening experiences. Time to change transportation or at least wear a respirator if you must travel by public conveyance..

The drivers are required to abstain from smoking whether they are vacant or have a fare on board. That is what the new rule clearly states. Whether it will be upheld is a completely different story. T.I.T.

Edited by ratcatcher

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Your travels in buses and taxis would seem to be life threatening experiences. Time to change transportation or at least wear a respirator if you must travel by public conveyance..

You're a prophet.  Exactly what I did.  But not the respirator. 

Nevertheless, other passengers are noticeably bothered as well, albeit to a lesser degree.  Further, science tells us it's health-threatening to everyone.    Ultimately, the onus is on the part of the cretin drivers, and lack of enforcement.  Vicitms shouldn't have to change transportation or procure a respirator, should they?  

Edited by Fookhaht

2 minutes ago, johng said:

What about  people with smelly feet, bad breath , strong perfume,flatulence.. etc etc  they should be banned too...

If the taxi driver has no objection to your lack of personal hygiene or choice of deodorant, then it's his problem, not yours. Fart away.

Edited by ratcatcher

6 minutes ago, johng said:

What about  people with smelly feet, bad breath , strong perfume,flatulence.. etc etc  they should be banned too...

I'm leaning toward Ratcather's respirator on this one...

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who smokes as a passenger in a Taxi ??? thats pretty obnoxious IMO... 

The same for a driver who smokes in his Taxi - Also obnoxious... 

Me. If the driver allows it. If not, no problem.

Oh dear, these (anti) smoking posts really bring out the pastiest, whiniest members of Thai Visa.

Thankfully Thailand has a climate where one can wind down the window of a taxi to remove any unpleasant odours which may offend the pasty, sickly sensibilities of some of the more feeble posters here, including that of tobacco smoke.

I wonder how many of these self obsessed, mealy mouthed, hand wringing zealots, gladly hop into their own pollution machines, set out to pollute the planet and the health of it's inhabitants (they ironically scream to be 'defending' in a far more harmful way than tobacco smoke ever will) with nary a thought to their colossal, revolting hypocrisy.

The truth is that this 'ban' on smoking will last as long as the rest have in Thailand, about a week if that, with one or two token 'action photos' in the lesser media. 

12 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Me. If the driver allows it. If not, no problem.

Completely inconsiderate of any passengers who may take taxi after you.... Completely inconsiderate of the Taxi driver who may feel they have to agree to secure your fare. 

Unfortunately, not all, but many smokers are show a complete lack of consideration towards others.... by smoking in a Taxi you are simply showing just how antisocial you are. 

Smoke away, enjoy a smoke, its your right and I wouldn't begrudge that... smoke in your private area or designated smoking areas, but please don't smoke where others may be effected.... (i.e. in a Taxi where others may have to ensure the stink afterwards)...  

......It's antisocial and by doing so you are giving 'polite' smokers a bad name... 

41 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

You're a prophet.  Exactly what I did.  But not the respirator. 

Nevertheless, other passengers are noticeably bothered as well, albeit to a lesser degree.  Further, science tells us it's health-threatening to everyone.    Ultimately, the onus is on the part of the cretin drivers, and lack of enforcement.  Vicitms shouldn't have to change transportation or procure a respirator, should they?  

As we don't live in an idealistic bubble where drivers follow rules and would never physically assault passengers complaining of cigarette smoke, getting your own form of transport is the best way forward. 

However, if more smokers switched to vaping, these laws wouldn't be necessary.

1 minute ago, teacherpaul said:

As we don't live in an idealistic bubble where drivers follow rules and would never physically assault passengers complaining of cigarette smoke, getting your own form of transport is the best way forward. 

We also don't live in an idealistic bubble where every bus-smoke victim has the wherewithal to obtain their own form of transport, especially the poor of Thai society and students.   Just sayin' ...

14 minutes ago, Merylhighground said:

Oh dear, these (anti) smoking posts really bring out the pastiest, whiniest members of Thai Visa.

Thankfully Thailand has a climate where one can wind down the window of a taxi to remove any unpleasant odours which may offend the pasty, sickly sensibilities of some of the more feeble posters here, including that of tobacco smoke.

I wonder how many of these self obsessed, mealy mouthed, hand wringing zealots, gladly hop into their own pollution machines, set out to pollute the planet and the health of it's inhabitants (they ironically scream to be 'defending' in a far more harmful way than tobacco smoke ever will) with nary a thought to their colossal, revolting hypocrisy.

The truth is that this 'ban' on smoking will last as long as the rest have in Thailand, about a week if that, with one or two token 'action photos' in the lesser media. 

...... The "Thailand is Polluted so its ok for me to smoke anywhere" argument is as unintellectual and as boring as the "go home if you don't like it" argument... as is the idea that someone who uses their own vehicle as a mode of transport actually "sets out to pollute the planet".... 

Winding down the window does not remove the stink of cigarettes...  But because I consider someone who smokes in a Taxi as Antisocial - I am now myself considered "Anti Smoking"... with "pasty, sickly sensibilities" and a "feeble, self obsessed, mealy mouthed, hand wringing zealot".....  

Thank-you for providing an example of the level of Antisocial, self-centred behaviour of an addict.... this is the behaviour I'm referring too that many find objectionable in smokers....

For the record: I'm not anti-smoking...  I'm anti-antisocial behaviour... I support smoking, people enjoy it and I support the freedom of choice to smoke.... What I don't support is the is the freedom to smoke and impact those who don't.... much in the same way I support the freedom to drink and get drunk but not to the degree that it negatively impacts others.... 

47 minutes ago, Merylhighground said:

Oh dear, these (anti) smoking posts really bring out the pastiest, whiniest members of Thai Visa. . . .may offend the pasty, sickly sensibilities of some of the more feeble posters here . . . . these self obsessed, mealy mouthed, hand wringing zealots . . . .

You da man!    :Dave:

(This poster talks like my neighbor, who blathers his epithets about non-smokers between fits of coughing his lungs out, and will soon be headed for the cancer ward.  Deluded.)

Edited by Fookhaht

31 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

Vaping is a major crime in Thailand but smoking is ok just not in a Taxi..

In Thailand its ok to die from smoking but vaping just can not be tolerated..

4 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I've never had a taxi driver light up In Thailand, and I don't recall being In one that smelt of cigarette smoke.

That's going to change!

Have to agree with that: ever other  noisome assault on the olfactory system but no smoke , at least in recent years.

1 minute ago, Prbkk said:

Have to agree with that: ever other  noisome assault on the olfactory system but no smoke , at least in recent years.

And twice in the last few months---a driver jerking off in plain sight of the lady passenger.  But at least he wasn't smoking at the same time.    Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for.

16 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I've never had a taxi driver light up In Thailand, and I don't recall being In one that smelt of cigarette smoke.

In the past when flagging down a taxi the driver has pulled up and he's smoking...  I didn't get in.... it's only happened 4 or 5 times and not in the last 4 years or so. 

In the past I have also got in a taxi which smelled of smoke... it wasn't that bad, but I got home and I too smelled of smoke on my clothes... thats why I don't like it. 

Also in the past I've had a driver who smoked outside his taxi while waiting for me while I nipped into an office... I didn't mind  that, I could smell the smoke when he got back in the Taxi but it wasn't a big deal... 

----------------

I've also had a taxi driver who passed wind horrifically, it was sickening, I opened the window and complained, he laughed.... I got out as soon as the taxi came to a halt.... It was funny but gross, I just couldn't stand it any longer !!!... even funnier in hindsight !

Iam a smoker and yes i do smoke in taxis, what is everyone scared of most the fact it smells of smoke or the fact that few taxi drivers can actually drive safely or the drivers around them. second most dangerous place in the world to be on roads and everyone is worried about smoking! I will continue to smoke in cabs after all with every journey it may be my last cigarette! i think the government should concentrate on driving lessons before a politically correct ideology of banning smoking.

Edited by kurtcap

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

...... The "Thailand is Polluted so its ok for me to smoke anywhere" argument is as unintellectual and as boring as the "go home if you don't like it" argument... as is the idea that someone who uses their own vehicle as a mode of transport actually "sets out to pollute the planet".... 

Winding down the window does not remove the stink of cigarettes...  But because I consider someone who smokes in a Taxi as Antisocial - I am now myself considered "Anti Smoking"... with "pasty, sickly sensibilities" and a "feeble, self obsessed, mealy mouthed, hand wringing zealot".....  

Thank-you for providing an example of the level of Antisocial, self-centred behaviour of an addict.... this is the behaviour I'm referring too that many find objectionable in smokers....

For the record: I'm not anti-smoking...  I'm anti-antisocial behaviour... I support smoking, people enjoy it and I support the freedom of choice to smoke.... What I don't support is the is the freedom to smoke and impact those who don't.... much in the same way I support the freedom to drink and get drunk but not to the degree that it negatively impacts others.... 

Wow so there are saints in a buddist country. Get over yourself, has no one ever told you prostitution is illegal here? and yes that applies to ladyboys too sorry to burst your perfectly spherical bubble

13 minutes ago, kurtcap said:

Iam a smoker and yes i do smoke. . . . politically correct ideology of banning smoking.

It's not a politically correct ideology.
It's a scientifically correct reality.  Going on 50 years, now,  of science and death statistics worldwide.  

Another deluded poster.