Smoking banned for drivers and passengers of taxi cabs

webfact

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

...... The "Thailand is Polluted so its ok for me to smoke anywhere" argument is as unintellectual and as boring as the "go home if you don't like it" argument... as is the idea that someone who uses their own vehicle as a mode of transport actually "sets out to pollute the planet".... 

Winding down the window does not remove the stink of cigarettes...  But because I consider someone who smokes in a Taxi as Antisocial - I am now myself considered "Anti Smoking"... with "pasty, sickly sensibilities" and a "feeble, self obsessed, mealy mouthed, hand wringing zealot".....  

Thank-you for providing an example of the level of Antisocial, self-centred behaviour of an addict.... this is the behaviour I'm referring too that many find objectionable in smokers....

For the record: I'm not anti-smoking...  I'm anti-antisocial behaviour... I support smoking, people enjoy it and I support the freedom of choice to smoke.... What I don't support is the is the freedom to smoke and impact those who don't.... much in the same way I support the freedom to drink and get drunk but not to the degree that it negatively impacts others.... 

My, a fine example of the pompous zealot trying to put words into other people's mouths ( "Thailand is Polluted so its ok for me to smoke anywhere" - where did this appear in my post?) and merely brushing asides arguments as 'tired' and ironically 'unintellectual', without a single stroke of effort to address them, merely droning on about oneself and one's own (assumed)  attributes shows an utter lack of any understanding of the topic.

Fine, you wanted to state your viewpoint and air your 'open mindedness' publicly, though failed on both counts.

as is the idea that someone who uses their own vehicle as a mode of transport actually "sets out to pollute the planet".... 

The intention is not the point but the indisputible fact that they do,  to far greater detriment than smokers do. 

You can bleat on about how 'many but not all' smokers are 'anti-social' until you're blue in the face.

Thankfully you're not the  'Magistrate of the World' you think you are, setting such criteria only in your own mind which seems so full of self importance there is little room left for much reasoned thought.

42 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

You da man!    :Dave:

(This poster talks like my neighbor, who blathers his epithets about non-smokers between fits of coughing his lungs out, and will soon be headed for the cancer ward.  Deluded.)

Deluded maybe, but it's a question of choice. You may be headed for the cancer ward yourself. That sad fate isn't reserved for smokers.

You may choose to bang hookers without a condom, filling orphanages for fun, drink deadly Lao Khao straight from the village bootlegger before hopping on the bike or in the car to drive home, but thankfully when people do such things they don't come under the microscope of social judgement as smokers do.

23 minutes ago, kurtcap said:

Iam a smoker and yes i do smoke in taxis, what is everyone scared of most the fact it smells of smoke or the fact that few taxi drivers can actually drive safely or the drivers around them. second most dangerous place in the world to be on roads and everyone is worried about smoking! I will continue to smoke in cabs after all with every journey it may be my last cigarette! i think the government should concentrate on driving lessons before a politically correct ideology of banning smoking.

You won't receive any arguments from people....  Most will agree that there are surely bigger priorities such as road safety etc...  and I agree, if there had to be an order there are other issues which surely must take greater priority. However, this does prevent lesser issues from being worthy of attention...  

1 hour ago, kurtcap said:

Wow so there are saints in a buddist country. Get over yourself, has no one ever told you prostitution is illegal here? and yes that applies to ladyboys too sorry to burst your perfectly spherical bubble

huh ???? where did that post come from ???

Prostitution is illegal and people get it on with Ladyboys... so its ok to smoke in Taxi's ???

.... I think you've been smoking something a little stronger than cigarettes !!!

Edited by richard_smith237

3 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

You're a prophet.  Exactly what I did.  But not the respirator. 

Nevertheless, other passengers are noticeably bothered as well, albeit to a lesser degree.  Further, science tells us it's health-threatening to everyone.    Ultimately, the onus is on the part of the cretin drivers, and lack of enforcement.  Vicitms shouldn't have to change transportation or procure a respirator, should they?  

If you need to wear a respirator best to leave and go to a place where you can bus safely  , do so without alarm with the drivers antics at the wheel and breath...................................................:cheesy:

1 hour ago, Merylhighground said:

My, a fine example of the pompous zealot trying to put words into other people's mouths ( "Thailand is Polluted so its ok for me to smoke anywhere" - where did this appear in my post?) and merely brushing asides arguments as 'tired' and ironically 'unintellectual', without a single stroke of effort to address them, merely droning on about oneself and one's own (assumed)  attributes shows an utter lack of any understanding of the topic.

Fine, you wanted to state your viewpoint and air your 'open mindedness' publicly, though failed on both counts.

The intention is not the point but the indisputible fact that they do,  to far greater detriment than smokers do. 

You can bleat on about how 'many but not all' smokers are 'anti-social' until you're blue in the face.

Thankfully you're not the  'Magistrate of the World' you think you are, setting such criteria only in your own mind which seems so full of self importance there is little room left for much reasoned thought

Deluded maybe, but it's a question of choice. You may be headed for the cancer ward yourself. That sad fate isn't reserved for smokers.

You may choose to bang hookers without a condom, filling orphanages for fun, drink deadly Lao Khao straight from the village bootlegger before hopping on the bike or in the car to drive home, but thankfully when people do such things they don't come under the microscope of social judgement as smokers do.

The government has chosen to ban smoking in Taxi's...   perhaps because its Antisocial...  at least I guess thats their reasoning. 

Either way, I've called smoking anti-social to which you seem to object, but mention other potentially antisocial activities, call me a Pompous Zealot, Magistrate of the World, full of self importance....   do you believe any of this makes Smoking any less Anti-social ?.... 

Do you think Smoking is perfectly acceptable ?... would you mind someone smoking inside your house ?

Would you mind someone smoking next to you on a bus or in a restaurant ?

---

Again - I'll point out that I'm not against smoking - I'm just against smoking in areas where it upsets or effects those who have chosen not to smoke. 

There'll be a couple of wrist slaps in the first couple of months, then the police will get down to the serious business of ignoring it. Same as the law regarding use of mobile phones at the wheel.

Then they won't be able to understand why people ride and drive on the wrong side of the road. It'll be a complete mystery.

Chook

Edited by Chookie

3 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

So why are these outlawed in Thailand, out of curiosity?

Officially? Because they supposedly encourage children to smoke.

Unofficially? Because they eat into tax revenue from cigarettes.

10 hours ago, johng said:

What about  people with smelly feet, bad breath , strong perfume,flatulence.. etc etc  they should be banned too...

You're just being petulant. 

Oh!  More smoking restrictions.  Waah!!!   If they're going to ban smoking, they should ban <fill in your favorite nonsense>.   Waah-waah!!    And what about <more nonsense>??    Waah-waah-waah!!

Grow up.

I will ask the taxi driver if it is okay and give a tip for it on longer trips like going to Pattaya. On the occasion I take a taxi that refuses to use the meter I just consider the extra he gets the tip included and light up with out asking. What can he do call the cops with no meter on? 

I always open the window and this is usually when they will turn the air off so it doesn't go through the air con system. On short city trips where the taxi uses his meter I generally wouldn't smoke in the cab. 

Some people think that this is inconsiderate but I really don't care. I love the look on the drivers face if he looks like he is about to object and then realizes he himself is breaking the law by refusing to use the meter and is simply out of luck in telling me what to do. With the windows open it really shouldn't leave much of an odor in the cab. 

Non-smokers also say they hate rooms that have been smoked in. Makes me wonder if they can really notice half the time is virtually 100% of hotel rooms in Asia have been smoked in. If they really can't stay in  a room that was once not smoked in it would be hard to find a room that lives up to this. I can understand if the room was recently chain smoked in and they didn't bring the smoke machines in to filter the air though.