Zika infection in Thailand is not widespread: Disease Control Department

webfact

7 hours ago, impulse said:

While the increase is disturbing, 97 cases out of a population of 70 million is hardly a reason to run up the red flags on tourists coming to a tropical beach, who probably have similar odds of catching something sitting in their damp, cold, rainy homeland.  (It's that "at least 97" that gives me pause)

I suspect 100x as many tourists come home with one of the other STD's.  That doesn't seem to slow them down.

it is not the absolute numbers that is important. what is, that the situation must be monitored and controlled because it can spread like wildfire otherwise.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The scary thing is that whilst mosquito control programs (education to stop people leaving stagnant water everywhere, mass fumigation and other actions) have been ongoing in Singapore for probably decades, they still have a significant zika problem.    

If Singapore has a problem then I can only imagine what it will be like in Thailand.

To be fair, Singapore is one big tropical swamp whereas the majority of Thailand is outside of the tropics and spends most of the year in drought.

22 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

To be fair, Singapore is one big tropical swamp whereas the majority of Thailand is outside of the tropics and spends most of the year in drought.

Fair point.   Although Bangkok is hardly small (Singapore by comparison is) and Bangkok has an almost infinite number of places for mosquitos to breed (year round if their lifecycles allow it).

My point was that if in Singapore with their long standing education programs, on the spot fines for standing water (my sister lived there for 8 years and they would get inspectors turning up at the house, the smallest bit of water in a plant pot and they'd be fined) and the regular fogging to kill mosquitoes hasn't help in their fight against dengue and now zika (not sure if Singapore has malaria) then, as I said, what hope does Bangkok have.   

Not much we can do about it, except keep our fingers crossed we don't contract the virus.  

22 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Fair point.   Although Bangkok is hardly small (Singapore by comparison is) and Bangkok has an almost infinite number of places for mosquitos to breed (year round if their lifecycles allow it).

My point was that if in Singapore with their long standing education programs, on the spot fines for standing water (my sister lived there for 8 years and they would get inspectors turning up at the house, the smallest bit of water in a plant pot and they'd be fined) and the regular fogging to kill mosquitoes hasn't help in their fight against dengue and now zika (not sure if Singapore has malaria) then, as I said, what hope does Bangkok have.   

Not much we can do about it, except keep our fingers crossed we don't contract the virus.  

It wouldn't bother me if I got it as I probably wouldn't know that I had. Why is everyone going bananas over a pathetic little virus that does no damage to anyone.

6 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

It wouldn't bother me if I got it as I probably wouldn't know that I had. Why is everyone going bananas over a pathetic little virus that does no damage to anyone.

Perhaps because some people are pregnant women and their partners?  Perhaps also because of the evidence that it is doing harm to some people, it appears to be reducing their brain size, effecting their long term memory and impairing their movement, mostly people are worried about all the babied being born severely handicapped but the adult symptoms are also turning out not to be "pathetic"unlike your knowledge on the subject.

34 minutes ago, seancbk said:

True and Bangkok and the South will be effected most, the same mosquito as spreads Dengue carries the Zika virus, and Thailand has a lot more cases of Dengue per year than Singapore, about 5 times as many, there is a 1% chance of contacting Dengue in Thailand per year, as it stands Dengue is a much bigger worry in Thailand and Singapore especially for us as it can have devastating effects, even proving fatal, for Caucasians.

14 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Perhaps because some people are pregnant women and their partners?  Perhaps also because of the evidence that it is doing harm to some people, it appears to be reducing their brain size, effecting their long term memory and impairing their movement, mostly people are worried about all the babied being born severely handicapped but the adult symptoms are also turning out not to be "pathetic"unlike your knowledge on the subject.

Codswallop - zika doesn't cause microcephaly. It is a complete hoax bandied about to cover up for the compulsory Dtap vaccine given to pregnant women (or) the larvicide introduced to the environment in Brazil that back fired that created microcephaly!! One or the other, but not mosquitos.

36 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Codswallop - zika doesn't cause microcephaly. It is a complete hoax bandied about to cover up for the compulsory Dtap vaccine given to pregnant women (or) the larvicide introduced to the environment in Brazil that back fired that created microcephaly!! One or the other, but not mosquitos.

Dtap has never been given to pregnant women, that is Tdap and it has been given the world over, the increase in cases of microcephaly only being present in places with the zika virus, if it was Tdap causing it then we would expect to see these cases the world over.  It is possible that it is Pyriproxyfen that has caused this, it is used to kill the mosquito larvae that cause Zika so they go hand in hand and it would be a little difficult to tell which was causing it.

Anyway, the symptoms I explained above are nothing to do with microcephaly, they are linked to adults effected by Zika  and I never said microcephaly was caused by Zika, I explained why people are worried, something you appear not to be able to grasp and seemingly due to a mere suggestion that it could be caused by something else, no evidence so far, it is just a suggestion.

15 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Lies, lies and more lies. Anything to protect the golden goose. 

The roads are safe, the police are honest, the taxi drivers are professional, the beaches are clean, there is no terrorism, there is no zika... Disgraceful.

So the world health organisation are wrong are they or are you suggesting that they are useless as well.

8 hours ago, dhream said:

His head is a funny shape! 

Less money on already obsolete warplanes and subs (and golf ball detectors)  to fight boogeyman next door.

More money on a real, relentless, borderless, enemy, a clear and present danger. The mosquito.

I was born with a big head and a little head. The little head has got me into trouble a fair bit. 

Finally, I can blame my little head on Zika.

Honey, the mozzies made me do it!

have you had a look at some professional assistance ?

maybe throw a tight fitting helmet on there to keep it al together, perhaps you cannot find one big enough or small enough - can your head fit through the door of an ambulance ....they are waiting

7 hours ago, lucky11 said:

You won't be saying this if you develop GBS a week or two after recovering from the 'harmless' Zika and are lying at deaths door on a ventilator in ICU at a large daily cost because your central nervous system is shutting down and you can't breathe for yourself.

Maybe you will recover, maybe not.

If this is the first time you've heard something like this then you need to do some more research, or maybe not. Many people die of this and have no idea about it. There's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it so it's not really something that you should worry about on a personal level. We're all going to die sometime right ?

13 hours ago, lucky11 said:

Zika is relatively harmless. This whole Zika thing is a total hoax designed to promote the buying of vaccines, larvicides, GM mosquito's and other chemicals through putting false fear into people and tricking gullible governments and ignorant health departments - it is the larvicide they use to disrupt the mosquito's growth that causes the microcephaly, not mosquito bites!!

Why is Brazil (fumigation with larvicides is heavy here) the only country out of all of those that has Zika outbreaks that suffer from an abnormally high incidence of MC? Go figure!!

It is not harmless and has long term effects on men and women.  It has been linked to mental ill health in elderly men as a form of dementia.

57 minutes ago, The manic said:

It is not harmless and has long term effects on men and women.  It has been linked to mental ill health in elderly men as a form of dementia.

It also causes problems for people of all ages.

The very serious issue for pregnant women and their unborn children is just the tip of the iceberg here I'm afraid. It's much worse than is being widely reported.

This forum post will be here for years to come - many people know about this but health professionals are cautious in their evaluations. Eventually data will emerge but unfortunately GBS is not something that's currently officially monitored by pretty much anyone, anywhere.

Not yet anyway - this will change a lot over the next few years as cases of GBS increase exponentially.

Edited by ukrules

Nah...they ( as in the relevant authorities ) were not releasing the correct info years ago...but now they are...for what ever reasons...possibly to cover their asses...as is usually the case.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

12 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Dtap has never been given to pregnant women, that is Tdap and it has been given the world over, the increase in cases of microcephaly only being present in places with the zika virus, if it was Tdap causing it then we would expect to see these cases the world over.  It is possible that it is Pyriproxyfen that has caused this, it is used to kill the mosquito larvae that cause Zika so they go hand in hand and it would be a little difficult to tell which was causing it.

Anyway, the symptoms I explained above are nothing to do with microcephaly, they are linked to adults effected by Zika  and I never said microcephaly was caused by Zika, I explained why people are worried, something you appear not to be able to grasp and seemingly due to a mere suggestion that it could be caused by something else, no evidence so far, it is just a suggestion.

OK, the Tdap vaccine.

Lets look at Argentina, they are convinced (as I am) that microcephaly is caused by the larvicide Pyriproxyfen made by the Japanese Monsanto subsidiary Sumimoto. Are you aware how this larvicide works? It kills the juvenile mosquitos by stopping their DEVELOPMENT ie: they don't fully develop - sound familiar?

Zika has been around for well over half a century and has never created a microcephaly problem before wherever it has surfaced.

Now, try to explain this - from the TECH Times:  

In countries such as Colombia where there are plenty of Zika cases, there are no records of microcephaly linked to Zika, the group said.

When the Colombian president announced that many of the country's citizens were infected with Zika but that there was not a single case of microcephaly, the allegations soon emerged. Some 3,177 pregnant women in the country were infected with Zika, but the PCST report said these women are carrying healthy fetuses or had given birth to healthy babies.

13 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

OK, the Tdap vaccine.

Lets look at Argentina, they are convinced (as I am) that microcephaly is caused by the larvicide Pyriproxyfen made by the Japanese Monsanto subsidiary Sumimoto. Are you aware how this larvicide works? It kills the juvenile mosquitos by stopping their DEVELOPMENT ie: they don't fully develop - sound familiar?

Zika has been around for well over half a century and has never created a microcephaly problem before wherever it has surfaced.

In countries such as Colombia where there are plenty of Zika cases, there are no records of microcephaly linked to Zika, the group said.

When the Colombian president announced that many of the country's citizens were infected with Zika but that there was not a single case of microcephaly, the allegations soon emerged. Some 3,177 pregnant women in the country were infected with Zika, but the PCST report said these women are carrying healthy fetuses or had given birth to healthy babies.

Just now, lucky11 said:

Zika does not cause any long term problems - this is a complete fabrication of the (paid?) shills of those with vested interests that want people to believe this!!

And you know this how?

You are no doubt a scientist at the CDC or similar?

32 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

And you know this how?

You are right, I am a scientist. There is absolutely no research to show that Zika has caused long term health affects in human beings since 1947 when it was discovered. I don't believe a single thing that these health agencies (especially the government ones) spout, as they have a track record of getting everything wrong on virtually every health aspect they comment on. The whole thing is a sham and a collaboration between big pharma, big food, FDA, governments etc: to dupe those people into believing totally false claims and purposefully churning out misleading information that is damaging peoples health.

2 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

You are right, I am a scientist. There is absolutely no research to show that Zika has caused long term health affects in human beings since 1947 when it was discovered. I don't believe a single thing that these health agencies (especially the government ones) spout, as they have a track record of getting everything wrong on virtually every health aspect they comment on. The whole thing is a sham and a collaboration between big pharma, big food, FDA, governments etc: to dupe those people into believing totally false claims and purposefully churning out misleading information that is damaging peoples health.

I have never met a scientist who speaks against the hand that feeds him...and the only income a scientist has is a gov't grant.

What exactly do you do as a "scientist"? 

On one forum I tell people I am a retired astronaut. 

13 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

So the world health organisation are wrong are they or are you suggesting that they are useless as well.

I'm not sure how you gleaned that from what I wrote.

While I did accuse this imbecile of lying to protect the tourism industry, the fact of the matter is much more embarrassing for him. The ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) report that this imbecile held a press conference to discredit, and the WHO report that he bases this erroneous assertion on measure different metrics.

The WHO Global Zika situation report, dated 25 August 2016, does not discuss whether any outbreak is widespread or not, and certainly doesn't include the word "scattered", simply when any outbreaks occurred and how long they've been occurring for.

This report places Thailand in Category 2: Countries with possible endemic transmission or evidence of local mosquito-borne Zika infections in 2016. It expands on this categorisation:

Countries or territories that have reported an outbreak with consistent presence of laboratory confirmed, autochthonous, mosquito-borne cases of Zika virus infection 12 months after the outbreak OR

Countries or territories where Zika virus has been circulating for several years with consistent presence of laboratory confirmed, autochthonous, mosquito-borne cases of Zika virus infection or evidence of local mosquito-borne Zika infections in 2016. Reports can be from the country or territory where infection occurred, or from a third party where the case is first recorded according to the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005). 

(As zika cases were first detected in Thailand in 2012, it falls into the second category.)

The ECDC Current Zika transmission report, dated 31 August 2016, discusses how many cases there has been and how recently they have occurred.

This report classifies Thailand as "Increasing or widespread transmission." It explains this category as: 

More than 10 locally transmitted cases of Zika virus are reported in a single area, OR at least two separate areas report locally transmitted cases of Zika virus, OR Zika virus transmission is ongoing in an area for more than 3 months.

Thailand meets at least two of these categories.

Nowhere in this report do the authors identify Thailand "as a country with widespread Zika infection in the last three months." Countries and territories are categorised as "currently experiencing active local Zika virus transmission if local Zika infections have been reported by health authorities within the last three months" - which they have.

By failing to understand what each report was discussing, by misrepresenting what the authors of each report and actually claimed, by claiming that media reports were "not accurate" even when they reported his own words, he exposes himself as either an imbecile, a liar, or both.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

And you know this how?

41 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I have never met a scientist who speaks against the hand that feeds him...and the only income a scientist has is a gov't grant.

What exactly do you do as a "scientist"? 

On one forum I tell people I am a retired astronaut. 

Wow!! Have you been to the moon?

I was a research chemist for 31 years, working for a company (not the government) - anyway, I am writing this, not as someone who is an expert on the matter, but purely on what I have read about the subject from sources I can believe and trust to give independent and reliable information!!

Zika is a convenient cover up for a disastrous decision made to put this larvicide into the drinking water of the certain provinces of Brazil that had high incidences of the Zika virus.

Why has there NOT been a single case of microcephaly in Colombia in over 3,000 incidences of Zika affected women who are pregnant or have given birth?

Explain that one and I will consider what you post!!

2 hours ago, lucky11 said:

OK, the Tdap vaccine.

You are clearly not from a science background, perhaps you have more of a background in blindly believing conspiracy theories?

How a larvicide works on an insect is completely irreverent to how it will effect a mammal.

Yes, Zika has been around a long time but because it has only just been linked to microcephaly says nothing about whether it has caused this problem before, you are making very silly assumptions.

Zika belongs to a group of viruses including; yellow fever, Nile fever and dengue fever, animal variants of this virus group being already known to cause microcephaly in mammal fetus's.  Microcephaly is very rare in humans and is sometimes linked to chromosome abnormalities such as in down-syndrome, what is not understood is why in some places many people infected with zika are resulting in fetuses with microcephaly and in other places they are not, one theory is that in Brazil these people could have a chromosomal difference.