Thai Doctor: Never eat toads - there is no antivenin

webfact

Thai Doctor: Never eat toads - there is no antivenin

a3.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A leading public health official has given a stern warning to people thinking of eating toads - don't!

The warning from Dr Opas Karnkawinphong comes after two men died from eating the creature this week, reported Daily News.

Dr Opas said that the creatures contain poison that has no known antidote or antivenin. Death can be as quick as 30 minutes.

Dr Opas, who heads up a department at the Public health ministry, said that there are just two or three such cases in Thailand each year.

This contrasts to about ten cases from puffer fish and many cases where people are poisoned by jellyfish.

Other leading causes of poisoning in Thailand result from ingesting poisonous mushrooms and children who consume soap to such a degree that it endangers their lives.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-31

why the hell are children consuming soap???? baffled

I get those big  toads on my land, I often go out  and stroke them on the head as they waddle around  looking for insects to eat, theyre  great.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I get those big  toads on my land, I often go out  and stroke them on the head as they waddle around  looking for insects to eat, theyre  great.

you are ok as long as you keep to stroking only and not slicing and eating.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

When you say stroke, I assume you mean strike, because their heads are where the poison glands are and stroking their heads will get the poison all over your hands.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

I wouldn't. Many toads secrete some of their venom through the skin as a deterrent to other animals eating them. Small doses usually just create hallucinations not death but I would still not be touching them

There is a second reason to not eat toads. Self esteem. Why would anyone who is sane, and living on the same planet as we occupy, want to eat one of these horrendously ugly, and slimy beasts? What on earth makes them think that is a good and correct thing to do? What are they thinking? Are they thinking? Are they from planet earth?

There are countless reason to not eat toads. Common sense dictates that. Oh I forgot. 

Edited by spidermike007

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

For saying words like sod or bugger I was told by my mother around 60 years ago that she would wash my mouth out with soap , never thought " Oh this is so nice I might eat a bar of carbolic "

The word "carbolic" on its own sounds like it should be on the mouth-washing list.

Okay! So they have 3 people who die each year by eating a Toad out of 68 Million People. It doesn't exactly sound like epidemic proportions to me. I think more people die eating food out of a can than that. 

Well now a recap! People die from eating Toads, Puffer Fish, Mushrooms, and Jellyfish. 

Jellyfish? I don't know Boys but it seems to me you are going to get a pretty thin slice of Meat from eating that? You can't even give Grandma a second helping.

Oh! I guess they mean a sting. Do Thai Mushrooms sting? 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

There is a second reason to not eat toads. Self esteem. Why would anyone who is sane, and living on the same planet as we occupy, want to eat one of these horrendously ugly, and slimy beasts? What on earth makes them think that is a good and correct thing to do? What are they thinking? Are they thinking? Are they from planet earth?

There are countless reason to not eat toads. Common sense dictates that. Oh I forgot. 

Or worst yet!

Paying someone $50 to feed you 2 small frog legs and a few icky snails to go with that.

God! The way the world is going, the next thing you know they will be charging you big money for just eating Fish Eggs.  

This is the cane toad but could be similar.

Defenses[edit]

The skin of the adult cane toad is toxic, as well as the enlarged parotoid glands behind the eyes, and other glands across their backs. When the toads are threatened, their glands secrete a milky-white fluid known as bufotoxin.[45] Components of bufotoxin are toxic to many animals;[46] even human deaths have been recorded due to the consumption of cane toads.[29]

Bufotenin, one of the chemicals excreted by the cane toad, is classified as a class-1 drug under Australian law, alongside heroin and cannabis. The effects of bufotenin are thought to be similar to those of mild poisoning; the stimulation, which includes mild hallucinations, lasts for less than an hour.[47] As the cane toad excretes bufotenin in small amounts, and other toxins in relatively large quantities, toad licking could result in serious illness or death.[48]

In addition to releasing toxin, the cane toad is capable of inflating its lungs, puffing up, and lifting its body off the ground to appear taller and larger to a potential predator.[45]

Poisonous sausages containing toad meat are being trialled in the Kimberley (Western Australia) to try to protect native animals from cane toads' deadly impact. The Western Australian Department of Environment and Conservation has been working with the University of Sydney to develop baits to train native animals not to eat the toads. By blending bits of toad with a nausea-inducing chemical, the baits train the animals to stay away from the amphibians. Researcher David Pearson says trials run in laboratories and in remote parts of the Kimberley region of WA are looking promising, although the baits will not solve the cane toad problem altogether.[49]

7 hours ago, sahibji said:

you are well warned.the good Dr. ought to know.

Why do you think cats or dogs don't catch toads and eat them when they will try and catch almost any other small creatures that move around.?

Edited by possum1931
missed something out.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why do you think cats or dogs don't catch toads and eat them when they will try and catch almost any other small creatures that move around.?

Why do you think cats or dogs don't catch toads and eat them

And I thought it was because they read Thai Visa and as such were made aware of the facts. :P

Edited by Truscott

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

When you say stroke, I assume you mean strike, because their heads are where the poison glands are and stroking their heads will get the poison all over your hands.

its usually under their chins, no striking allowed I like to see them they appear regular as clockwork here,  behind their eyes is the poison glands but they are pretty placid  here, i regularly handle  them, some are  really big

Edited by kannot

9 hours ago, retoohs said:

I wouldn't. Many toads secrete some of their venom through the skin as a deterrent to other animals eating them. Small doses usually just create hallucinations not death but I would still not be touching them

i swear it had 3  heads and could fly, right up until Friday and thats when the custard arrived