Jomtien promenade - unsavory people?

crickets

After living in jomtien for many years previously i recently took a walk down the beach at night along the new promenade and can say that it now is attracting more drunks, prostitutes, weirdos and a holes speeding down the road than ever before. I think in high season it will turn into the same as pattaya beach. Bit of a pity really.

After living in jomtien for many years previously i recently took a walk down the beach at night along the new promenade and can say that it now is attracting more drunks, prostitutes, weirdos and a holes speeding down the road than ever before.

So what you're saying is that tourist numbers are up since they did the work?

Score!

And yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

the other side of the road

You can hardly walk on the other side of the road  because its full of potholes,lamp posts,electricity posts,telephone boxes,sleeping dogs,rubbish bags,som tam vendors  and shops encroaching on the pavement.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But do people really call it a promenade?

I do     Google agrees first result 

a paved public walk, typically one along a waterfront at a resort.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

I understand fully your point,however the other side of the road apart from it being busier does not have this issue,maybe better for you to use in the future.....:thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, johng said:

You can hardly walk on the other side of the road  because its full of potholes,lamp posts,electricity posts,telephone boxes,sleeping dogs,rubbish bags,som tam vendors  and shops encroaching on the pavement.

John...you clearly have not understood my reply,the OP was commenting solely upon the "unsavoury elements" on the beach walkway,my reply was quite clear "the other side of the road apart from it being busier does not have THIS ISSUE,maybe better for you to use in the future"

You come back with a reply that does not help the OP but criticizes my response,three key words you have ignored

unsavoury........as in the OP didn,t like what he saw on the beach front walkway and the sole reason he posted on here

busier......as I replied and YES nearly every bloody pavement here is as you described

maybe........was my suggestion NOT a command to try the other side.

Perhaps English is not your native tongue and this is why you fail to understand my reply.

have a nice day now :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, petermik said:

Perhaps English is not your native tongue and this is why you fail to understand my reply

I fully understood your reply,  all I was doing was pointing out that the other side of the road has unsavoury elements too

in no way did I intend to criticise your response but if you are offended then please except my apologies.

When I was living in South Pattaya (many moons ago ) I would often go and sit ( with 7/11  beer ) on the round concrete benches  on the promenade at the south end opposite the open air bar complex that used to link up their stereos to all play the same songs  ( can't remember the bar complex name )  

drunks, prostitutes, weirdos and a holes speeding down the road  was a major part of the "experience"

I tend to agree with OP and have been living in Jomtien about 10 years. Saturday night walk with gf, some crazed drunk whatever farang yelling and tearing at black bag, throwing it on ground, being general nut case. We've had some types like that in the past, but the small communities that would form in those circles and benches would provide a slight amount of censure to rein in these riff raff.

welcome to the world gentlemen. I rather walk down the new beach walk either side but prefer the beach side since it have been fixed then walking 5 blocks in Manhattan. Unfortunately here in Thailand we will find more prostitutes then in the west except Amsterdam and some German cities but honestly isn't it what 50% of western tourist are exited about, we that have partners already wonder where we found them and what they made a living of before us? So now some of the leftovers are strolling the promenade let so be, they did not luck out.

That's too bad.

Always stayed in Jomtien when I vacationed here.

I quite enjoyed an evening walk down the promenade. Walked as far as a beer got me, bought another and walked back.

Quiet, with other people walking or sitting around the circles. Much nicer than Pattaya.

I guess its becoming spoiled.

Its still 80% less weird compared to pattaya promenade. However there is not much for the straight guy looking to for a freelancer in Jomtien with a choice of gay boys or 65 year old toothless hookers and possibly the darkest younger Issaan types you will ever see(30), you can hardly see them in the dark

3 hours ago, johng said:

I do     Google agrees first result 

a paved public walk, typically one along a waterfront at a resort.

I wasn't questioning that the word doesn't meet the definition of what's there.

It's just that I don't recall hearing people actually use the word PROMENADE to describe it.

A good poll perhaps? 

I always relate to Pattaya/Jomtien as a Human Zoo.There's not one single species or race  that can't be viewed.

Actually passes the time pleasantly, sitting quietly with a drink in hand, watching the parade.

Really? Then where are the Mexicans?

The prostitutes have as much, if not more right to be there than you do. What is wrong with being drunk?  What is a weirdo- Someone who does not conform to your bri nylon  beige world?  Jomtien is really boring and needs some characters. It sounds a lot better than it used to be. 

5 hours ago, johng said:

When I was living in South Pattaya (many moons ago ) I would often go and sit ( with 7/11  beer ) on the round concrete benches  on the promenade at the south end opposite the open air bar complex that used to link up their stereos to all play the same songs  ( can't remember the bar complex name )  

drunks, prostitutes, weirdos and a holes speeding down the road  was a major part of the "experience"

Its called the "Pattaya Freakshow." The best entertainment in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Rod Gold said:

While walking to Jomtien Beach, I often took a detour to Soi 6, where beach-bums, weirdoes, and aggressive Soi dogs were quickly forgotten. 

Soi 6 and Jomtien Beach are miles apart, have you actually been to Pattaya?

1 hour ago, The manic said:

The prostitutes have as much, if not more right to be there than you do. What is wrong with being drunk?  What is a weirdo- Someone who does not conform to your bri nylon  beige world?  Jomtien is really boring and needs some characters. It sounds a lot better than it used to be. 

"What is wrong with being drunk?"

Nothing, as long as it is not in public, if it is in public, then it is disgusting.:angry2: