Police chief disagrees to proposed termination of money reward for drug busts

webfact

2 hours ago, JayBeeee said:

Absolutely! I say stop the reward system immediately, and come down hard on bribery.  All the roadblocks will disappear overnight and there will be no incentive to plant drugs on innocent backpackers!

"there will be no incentive to plant drugs on innocent backpackers!"  ~ has never been my experience, as a farang backpacker to nearly every nook & cranny location in Thailand. I have been stopped and searched more times than I care to remember, but "knock-on-wood", I have never experienced any Thai cop (thus far) actually attempting to "plant" drugs in my backpack, despite being racially profiled by those same Thai cops.Maybe I've just been lucky in that regard. :whistling:

14 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The Thai Police don't get off their behinds unless there is a chance to make money.

To self-serve and collect.

Do you suppose the "Police don't get off their behinds unless there is a chance to make money" phenomenon is peculiar to Thailand?

16 hours ago, webfact said:

what better use for the money than to reward officers for their sacrifices.

Sacrifices such as accepting poor salary and having no proper training (not that that matters, given it would be built on a lack of a proper education anyway).

Those sacrifices?

An occasional cash windfall is not good enough, sir.

Cash rewards for doing a policing job is unprofessional, sir.

Who said Thailand is not a tipping culture? Tipping cops is what they do.

Wait, I must have the wrong definition of tipping. Perhaps I should ask one of those pleasant, helpful Thais in a tourist area.

Oh sorry, does Thailand still have tourist areas?

4 hours ago, NativeSon360 said:

Do you suppose the "Police don't get off their behinds unless there is a chance to make money" phenomenon is peculiar to Thailand?

common on developing countries, serious in some countries.

Edited by sahibji

7 hours ago, NativeSon360 said:

It's not unique but the form it takes and scale with which it is present within the ranks of the BIB is certainly not found in countries with less corrupt forces. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Do you understand where we are? We're not talking about sociopathic European or American cops who are mostly in it to feed their thug metality by being members of the biggest and most powerful gang.

This is Thailand where they buy their way into a job which is low paid because the bribe money, which is the greater part of their income, is factored in; like watresses being poorly paid because they supposedly receive a lot in tips. Under the current system of corruption, it's unlikely to ever stop. Even with higher pay, it will not end until the public accept a system of fines and penalties and stop slipping the cops a few hundred baht, and cops are too scared of exposure to demand it.

This might require the real possibility of severe punishment for both sides because nobody will know who is a threat. The top brass might need to make a public show of wiping out police corruption, including making high profile examples of enough of them and encouraging the public to get involved by exposing them in social media where they can remain anonymous, or become famous. Until such times, they'll remain on their backsides if there's no extra money in it, or they're ordered to do something.

Personally, I think I'd rather pay a few hundred to the latter and be on my way, than to be subjected to the sadistic whim of the former.

5 hours ago, sahibji said:

it is the job of the police to bus drugs, amongst others. why should they be rewarded for doing their jobs. if their remuneration is not adequate, lobby for higher salaries.

The post above was meant to include this quote, and edit still isn't working...for me!'

Let's see what happens this time!

the stupid thing is that if the police actually did the job they were paid for the govt would reap many millions of baht just from traffic offenses alone and thats a week. If the police went out and enforced the laws the govt could afford to pay them all a decent wage so that they had incentives to continue upholding the law plus the govt would have a heap of extra revenue to spend elsewhere. Problem is corruption pays too well for most so they simply dont want this to happen, maybe one day when a govt gets serious about corruption and those that break the law they might actually do something sensible.......