Jackie Chan awarded honorary Oscar

webfact

Jackie Chan awarded honorary Oscar

LOS ANGELES: -- Action movie star, writer, director and martial artist Jackie Chan is to be given an honorary Oscar for his "extraordinary achievements" in film.

The US film academy also voted to give the awards to editor Anne Coates, casting director Lynn Stalmaster and documentary maker Frederick Wiseman.

Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs described the four as "true pioneers and legends in their crafts".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37253382

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-09-02

Film academy announces annual Governors Awards recipients 
SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Actor Jackie Chan, film editor Anne V. Coates, casting director Lynn Stalmaster and documentarian Frederick Wiseman are getting honorary Academy Awards.

The film academy announced Thursday that the four industry veterans will receive Oscar statuettes at the annual Governors Awards ceremony in November.

Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs described the recipients as "true pioneers and legends in their crafts."

Chan has written, directed, produced and starred in dozens of films, dazzling with his stunts and martial arts. His most recent release is "Skiptrace" with Johnny Knoxville; past credits include the "Rush Hour" series with Chris Tucker, "The Karate Kid" reboot and voicing a monkey in the animated "Kung-Fu Panda" films. Chan has never been nominated for an Oscar and doesn't make the kind of movies that generally would be nominated.

Filmmaker Edgar Wright cheered the choice on Twitter.

"So pleased @TheAcademy are awarding Jackie Chan with an honorary Oscar this year. The man is a legend of action cinema & its truly deserved," Wright wrote.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has long presented honorary Oscars to recognize humanitarian work, lifetime achievement and exceptional contributions to film. Since 2009, the organization has presented those statuettes at a private, untelevised dinner dedicated solely to the recipients. The move has allowed for a broader range of honorees, including comedians (Steve Martin in 2013), stuntmen (Hal Needham in 2012) and this year's editor and casting director.

A film editor for more than 60 years, Coates won an Academy Award for her work on "Lawrence of Arabia." She received four other Oscar nominations during her career, working with such directors as Sidney Lumet, Richard Attenborough and Steven Soderbergh.

Stalmaster has been casting since the mid-1950s. His more than 200 credits include "The Graduate," ''Fiddler on the Roof," ''Harold and Maude," ''Tootsie" and "The Right Stuff."

Wiseman started making documentaries in 1967. His most recent was last year's "In Jackson Heights," about a community in Queens, New York, considered one of the most culturally diverse in the U.S.

The eighth annual Governors Awards will be presented Nov. 12 at the Hollywood & Highland Center. Recent recipients include Spike Lee, Debbie Reynolds and Gena Rowlands last year and Harry Belafonte, Jean-Claude Carrière, Maureen O'Hara and Hayao Miyazaki in 2014.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-02

LOL…we're in a downward spiral of political correctness….JC is a buffoon…..he doesn't just play one on TV.

This reminds me of the time when Michelin awarded a star to a hawker stall in a singapore food court.

You could not make this stuff up.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

The guy's put more butts in theater seats than a lot of the Oscar winners.  A lot more.

so give him his own star on hollywood boulevard not a <deleted> oscar….you need to be a real artist to get those.

Even a legendary director like zhang yimou has been nominated 7 times but hasn't won yet.

yeah, he's really been there to do his act, for real.

No CGI, like the current wimp actors get away with

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uUs9CsCyLFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by tifino

They've got an Oscar for "Best Sound Mixing".    Best Sound Mixing?

But they don't have one for "Best Action-Comedy Actor who Does His Own Amazing Martial Arts Stunts While Not Taking Himself too Seriously".

That's probably why he got an honorary Oscar.  No Oscar category that fits what he does so well.  No artsy fartsy.  He entertains us.  That's why I go to movies.  Not to be bored to tears by poignant, whining crybabies..

http://www.awardsandshows.com/features/awards-categories-1.html

Edited by impulse

He's made 150 films that have generated billions of dollars, employing and entertaining heaven knows how many people in the process.

He has several charitable foundations that he runs, and he's a UN Goodwill ambassador.

I don't think he'll be too bothered at the green-eyed sniping from miserable nobodies to be honest.

Happy to see him get an Honorary Oscar.  As has been said, he has filled more movie theater seats than most of those getting awards. The entertainment industry is full of self promoting awards shows. The Oscars along with all the other music, movie, and TV awards are just a bunch of self serving shows trying to hype the business.  It's difficult to watch those shows and all those people who think they are so special. But then I am not one of those people who must sit through the credits at the movies to see who might be the 3rd grip.  I have friends that do.

7 hours ago, Usernames said:

And the only one who does not deserve to be on the list is the headliner, Jackie Chan.

True...Jackie should've gotten a regular Oscar a long time ago. I guess an honorary one is better than nothing.

On 9/2/2016 at 5:29 PM, Chicog said:

Clearly those of you knocking Jackie Chan are basing your opinions on his screen persona and know sod all about the man.

Sterling character and would never bite the hand that fed him.:gigglem:

Edited by Scotwight

And, is something like the second highest paid actor in the world by virtue of all of his films being sold into China where he has an excellent relationship with the Beijing government. Not US mainstream any more perhaps but still so in global terms, the world is bigger than just the USA!

13 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I watched 10 minutes of the buffoons latest film Skiptrace…excruciating…..he's a one dimensional moron. 

He is the most acrobatic and sincerely nice guy "one dimensional moron" to ever be on the Silver Screen.

Jean-Claude is another one-dimensional moron but jesus is he a mean spirited fellow.

Still, jean claude was a master of the twins seperated at birth (one evil/one good) genre.

16 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I watched 10 minutes of the buffoons latest film Skiptrace…excruciating…..he's a one dimensional moron. 

And Dustin Hoffman had Ishtar...  The guy's still a legend, even with a few turkeys on his CV.

2 minutes ago, Usernames said:

So has Adam Sandler, whose films have grossed more than $2 billion.  Better give him an Oscar too.

People go to Adam Sandler movies to see the ensemble, largely in spite of Adam Sandler.

Kevin James, Chris Rock, Salma Hayek, David Spade....and that guy with bug eyes- and the other one with crossed eyes.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

You can produce statistics to back that up.....presumably??

Someone else already did.  In fact, quite a few folks already did..

One example:  He's put a lot more butts in seats than Benicio del Toro (though I am a BdT fan).

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/some-of-the-biggest-box-office-flops-of-all-time-belong-to-oscar-winners-womp-womp.php

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10881391/Its-not-about-the-money-10-brilliant-box-office-flops.html

http://mentalfloss.com/article/59990/11-beloved-movies-were-box-office-flops

And there's dozens more if you Google "oscar box office flops"

Under the topic of "you learn something every day", I was surprised The Wizard of Oz was a box office flop.  And It's a Wonderful Life just about broke even.  Go figure.

59 minutes ago, impulse said:

Someone else already did.  In fact, quite a few folks already did..

One example:  He's put a lot more butts in seats than Benicio del Toro (though I am a BdT fan).

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/some-of-the-biggest-box-office-flops-of-all-time-belong-to-oscar-winners-womp-womp.php

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10881391/Its-not-about-the-money-10-brilliant-box-office-flops.html

http://mentalfloss.com/article/59990/11-beloved-movies-were-box-office-flops

And there's dozens more if you Google "oscar box office flops"

Under the topic of "you learn something every day", I was surprised The Wizard of Oz was a box office flop.  And It's a Wonderful Life just about broke even.  Go figure.

Without wa nting a pi$$Ing contest Oscar winner flops doesn't mean that JC has put more bums on seats, merely that not. every movie an OscR winner makes Is a hit.  I daresay he's had a few flops??

I can't edit typos since the TV 'upgrade'.

12 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I daresay he's had a few flops??

Absolutely.  There's a lot of his later stuff you couldn't pay me to go sit through.

But I still recall the first Jackie Chan movie my college room mate dragged me to see.  For the time, the stunts were amazing- and all him.  When I stood up to leave at the closing credits, my room mate sat me back down and the out-takes were even better.  I was hooked.  

But then he got popular and they thrashed the brand with all kinds of crap for $$$.  A shame really.

I'd give him the honorary Oscar for his early stuff.  But, like Star Wars and every Steve McQueen movie, anyone watching it today probably wouldn't realize how ground breaking it was for the time.  

(Edit:  Contrast McQueen's stuff to Paul Newman's stuff, most of which is still timely.)

Edited by impulse