Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

22 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

I see it too. Crazy. That's why I came to this forum, to see if it was me - or others noticed it as well. It's crazy. I've been coming here since the 80's and had I noticed this earlier would not have returned. It's beyond rude - it's outright hostility and I really can't imagine why. It's startling and not just vendors. Don't we pour tons of needed  money into this place?  What is their problem? Anyone?

Maybe its because we are no longer pouring money into this place ?

Back in the 80's , we were these different coloured people arriving with large amounts of bits of paper in our pocket , that could buy anyone and everything  , Thailand and Thais were poor back then , these days Thailand and Thais are a lot more affluent and foreigners are a lot poorer and thus they have no need to be nice in the hope of obtaining something . 

7 hours ago, SuperTed said:
19 hours ago, baansgr said:
In 15 years I have heard the Thai word for please twice.....sums it up really, was the same then as is now just that with social media etc its more accessible to see

That's of course not true. It is just that courtesy is expressed in a different way in Thai. You hear Krap, Ka, and Koo Toot constantly.

"Koo Toot" - hilarious!

Why is that?

Dont think that its a good idea to post photos of girls that you have been out with on here.
I am sure that you are quite proud of yourself and just want to boast and show-off, but , just a description would be fine , without posting a photo of her

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, but you really don't see it.

The "visual impression"

of Falang is Soi 7 and 8 at Beach road, all the bars way up to 3rd road.  Then walk around Big C or Tesco any afternoon.  Falang sitting around unkempt looking dazed and semi retarded.  I can go on.

The visual impression is fat, lazy, drink, sit around and do nothing.

Hmmm yes but that’s just in Pattaya like phuket or huahin or chiang mai etc it’s mostly other types of farangs.

The Majority of bars and bar girls  in thailand are focusing on thai customers  so his accusations are incorrect.

9 hours ago, Respectthailand said:

'Everyone in London '

Yes ok we believe you

That is quite a generalization. An award winner.

My experience in Thailand has been the exact opposite of yours. Hmmm.

I'm certain most countries are about the same; some polite, some not. That is certainly my experience in my home country where we are often noted for our politeness (Canada).

Enjoy your time in LOS. Smile. Be happy.

• Like 1

I have a Thai lady friend who has been with 7-11 for 20 years. She is now a trainer of staff, multiple locations. When she was young like the little girl in the picture that has been deleted (thank you mod), she once worked in a 7-11 in Pattaya. Out of the blue, a farang once asked her, "how much for the whole night". She was totally insulted. I am quite sure that she would be considerably upset if she had seen the picture of this young girl in uniform. I think the young girl would also be upset today if she knew her picture had been posted here.
1. The mods don't want us posting pics of real women because it would allow TV to be used for procurement.

2. Your ladyfriend's views aside, the woman from 7-11 posts that picture in her public profiles, so she should not object to it being on the Internet.

3. Apologies in general for being seen as bragging or a blowhard. I know that is totally unacceptable behavior on TV. Ha!

My honest point is that she and her friends are what I think of when I walk through 7-11. They are not robots or rude as claimed by so many on this thread, but are genuinely nice people. Some of whom are lovely!
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

1. The mods don't want us posting pics of real women because it would allow TV to be used for procurement.

2. Your ladyfriend's views aside, the woman from 7-11 posts that picture in her public profiles, so she should not object to it being on the Internet.

3. Apologies in general for being seen as bragging or a blowhard. I know that is totally unacceptable behavior on TV. Ha!

My honest point is that she and her friends are what I think of when I walk through 7-11. They are not robots or rude as claimed by so many on this thread, but are genuinely nice people. Some of whom are lovely!

Good answer. While I don't have Brad Pitt handsome looks like you, I have had the odd young lady at other retail establishments, or in malls, give me inviting, flirtatious candy eyes, even when I'm with my lady, but never in a 7-11.

As for 7-11 staff, never overly friendly but never ever rude either. I think my friend has trained them well. I am quite impressed with 7-11 counter staff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neeray said:
6 hours ago, neeray said:

I have had the odd young lady at other retail establishments, or in malls, give me inviting, flirtatious candy eyes, even when I'm with my lady, but never in a 7-11.

And you can be sure if you were so inclined you could have "worked" something out with them. What some here do not get is that (unlike in the West ) it is not a black/white situation here. Alot of wild cards in the deck. Some of these girls on regular jobs do moonlighting and others go on "working" holidays.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, neeray said:

My experience in Thailand has been the exact opposite of yours. Hmmm.

Sure to some extent that will be a reflection of yourself : if you go around smiling / friendly you will experience some different reactions than those who are negative.

But the issue/problem as I see ( and experience) it , is the negativity from Thais  that is spontaneous and uncalled for. That is from someone who is neutral  and just does not care to interact with Thais whatsoever. Outside of Thai girlfriend/wife of course.

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I also make a habit of avoiding groups of westerners drinking together and politely reject small talk "have a beer" invitations. I'm just like most of my western peers and extremely sceptical of most other westerners. It's just the way it is.

So I guess you would love to be a Thai  ?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, puukao said:

smartphones equal information.  information equals learning that the farangs in Thailand are the worst farangs.  then everyone knows you are not here to see strawberry farms and pray with monks.  so then you feel the same in your home country.  lol.  good.  

sex tourists who drink beer, get fat, lazy, and look ridiculous with tattoos everywhere while being a digital nomad.....well, you deserve zero respect.  

To recap, Western  sex tourists are fat, covered with tattoos, and lazy, while digital nomads, usually young guys who work with a laptop, "deserve zero respect"? Btw, whats with accusation 'lazy'? Did you think Westerners like me came here to work? Wrong! Westerners came here for fun.

You don't make any sense whatsoever, other than intense dislike towards foreigners. What did the big, fat, tattood, lazy  foreigner do to you? Was someone  rude to you? Are you not into guys with tattoos? That's matter of personal preference, many like guys with tattoos. I get it, tattoos offend you, unfortunately you have to get over it! Or, approach every tattoos guy on the street, and demand he removes his tattoos! Tell them you don't like tattoos. 

I take it you are Thai, and I'd like to hear more about your grudge towards foreigners in Thailand. What have we, Westerners done to you? Do you feel inferior as far as income? Do you envy our freedom of coming and going, living as we please, while you have almost no choices in life, is that it? 

Is it the tattoos? Is it that the guys are often fat, and for you it's a turn off, you prefer slim, fit guys? I get that, fit, athletic guys are much prefreble. But we don't live in shampoo commercial, where every guy has a six pack, and shiny teeth. Reality is that men over 50 tend to be overweight. Start a public awareness programme, raise awareness, do something! 

Your intense dislike of digital nomads is most puzzling, you said that sex tourists are "fat, lazy, tattoos", but you are not into younger guys either. Digital nomads I know are fit, happy under 30. But you hate them too, for some reason! You are hard man to please.

So what's your type? Fellow Thais only? I get that, most foreigners also prefer Thai people. But as a Thai, your open hatred towards Westerners is very low form, hate based on nationality is usually due to lack of education, lack travelling, usually together with low IQ. At least, don't announce your issues to the whole world, it's nothing to be proud of. You are just a racist, xenophobic sad man. 

Edited by whitemouse
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 1:22 AM, Rc2702 said:

I don't get out much but when I do I get complimented on my Thai. I don't rate it and I'm still a beginner but I notice I can pronounce stuff well enough for it to be understood the first time. But I also live in north east Thailand and most here are friendly decent folks. I also make a habit of avoiding groups of westerners drinking together and politely reject small talk "have a beer" invitations. I'm just like most of my western peers and extremely sceptical of most other westerners. It's just the way it is.

That is quite sad.

You live your life in a foreign land, where outsiders are generally not welcome. You avoid your fellow foreigners, people who you share language, cultural background. And you are proud of it, at least enough to list it as a virtue. 

You say your Thai is good. How long can you keep up a typical evening of dinner, usually events that last hours, with This chatting, joking, TV soap often playing in a background. Would you say you are completely at ease, 'one of the guys'?

You are often complimented for your Thai language abilities. I am told that I am handsome man several times, every single day. You know what? I'm furthest thing from handsome!

There is something tragic about spending last decades of one's life avoiding fellow countrymen as much as possible. We have one life. I doubt Thai will ever understand us, and I doubt they have even slightest interest in us, in our lives, our background. To Thai we are as foreign as Martians. To devote last year's of one's life socializing with Thais only seems perfect recepy for depression, and all that comes with it. 

Just my 2 cents. You may be the happiest man on Earth, what do I know!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

You say your Thai is good. How long can you keep up a typical evening of dinner, usually events that last hours, with This chatting, joking, TV soap often playing in a background. Would you say you are completely at ease, 'one of the guys'?

Why would you spend an evening with a bunch of guys?

Unless it's serious drinking, in which case no need to talk much.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

That is quite sad.

You live your life in a foreign land, where outsiders are generally not welcome. You avoid your fellow foreigners, people who you share language, cultural background. And you are proud of it, at least enough to list it as a virtue. 

You are often complimented for your Thai language abilities. I am told that I am handsome man several times, every single day. You know what? I'm furthest thing from handsome!

There is something tragic about spending last decades of one's life avoiding fellow countrymen as much as possible. We have one life. I doubt Thai will ever understand us, and I doubt they have even slightest interest in us, in our lives, our background. To Thai we are as foreign as Martians. To devote last year's of one's life socializing with Thais only seems perfect recepy for depression, and all that comes with it. 

I came to Thailand to get away from Farang.  Why would I want to socialize with them?  Thais treat me fine and understand me great.  I don't have to talk about politics, religion, homophobia and the other topics that Farang discuss at every cheap bar they frequent. 

I've been in and out of Thailand for 30 years. Married the last ten, working the last five (hobby till I hit 62 I guess).

In Bangkok I've noticed no change over the years that is not explained by overwork, shitty pay and too much time on the mobile.

I've never got on better with my Thai colleagues than in the last two years.

My students are great. Chulalongkorn babes are great. Women on the MRT sometimes flirty. Sounds like a personal problem.

Bangkok is not the bucolic countryside. Pattaya is a cesspool.

There are 219 other countries, pick one.

Try dressing nicer, not being seen with women that are obviously hookers.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would you spend an evening with a bunch of guys?

Unless it's serious drinking, in which case no need to talk much.

That is what Thai village evening is like. 

I didn't say guys, I said, Thais, I believe.

Have you spend few days in deep in Thailand, being the only foreigner at evening dinner? I have. There are Thai females there. Or was your question tongue in cheek?

Man said he lives in Thai village. I assume he is the only non Thai sitting on the floor, enjoying the meal, these dinners take hours. This foreigner will only have Thais to talk to, in order to participate at all. Do I make myself more clear now? Anything else, just ask!

3 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Perfect! 

I envy you. I always feel I could do better, live more fully, feeling of time is slipping away quickly. 

Same here, apart from envy.. But "live more fully" can have many different meanings, as many as people on the earth .

31 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

That is quite sad.

I said my Thai was that of a beginner. My interactions with Thais are limited. 

I'm not in my last years, I hope. I'm certainly no where near retirement.

I would interact with other aliens but the commonality needs to be more than just being aliens and a thirst for beer. 

If there was a local football meetup I'd go. I sometimes chat to another alien in the park when I'm there with our son and he's there with his daughter. 

44 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Have you spend few days in deep in Thailand, being the only foreigner at evening dinner? I have. There are Thai females there. Or was your question tongue in cheek?

Every night, no women at the evening dinner/drinking, they serve the men then clear off together.

Edited by BritManToo